• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Watch this angle and keep an eye on Kilman. Absolutely appalling and so, so lazy. Needs taking out the firing line. Wolves social media obviously bigging up his goal line clearance but seems pretty ridiculous when he’s doing this 5 mins later.

He doesn’t get in shot until it’s too late, so that view doesn’t actually tell you anything.

Kilman was upfield after making a forward run and was always behind Ings. He maybe could have sprinted as hard as he could to get back in but if anything it’s Bueno most at fault playing him onside.

A9EF2372-FB77-4B84-896C-9673CC1E289C.jpeg

Sa's starting position would have been a few yards higher last season

He doesn’t get in shot until it’s too late, so that view doesn’t actually tell you anything.

Kilman was upfield after making a forward run and was always behind Ings. He maybe could have sprinted as hard as he could to get back in but if anything it’s Bueno most at fault playing him onside.

View attachment 6646
That still is also too late to show Neves' starting position, they were in a decent line to begin with Neves pretty well placed to cover for Kilman. He gets sucked in to that Villa player in midfield though, despite Nunes being pretty close by, and that really opens up the gap for Ings to attack. Bueno is the final piece of the puzzle, tracking him just long enough to play him onside but then once he gets towards the middle of the pitch he just leaves him for a free run at goal.

That still is also too late to show Neves' starting position, they were in a decent line to begin with Neves pretty well placed to cover for Kilman. He gets sucked in to that Villa player in midfield though, despite Nunes being pretty close by, and that really opens up the gap for Ings to attack. Bueno is the final piece of the puzzle, tracking him just long enough to play him onside but then once he gets towards the middle of the pitch he just leaves him for a free run at goal.
I agree to an extent.
B875E3C8-3D07-4C92-9D10-FAB880131293.jpeg

This is the earliest shot available. Bueno is already 2 yards behind Collins (our deepest player) and this is nearly 2 seconds before the ball is played (an age in football, Bueno has covered over 5 yards in that time). Yes Neves gets sucked in but out the corner of his eye he sees Kilman is nearly level. I think even if Neves holds a line with Collins this long ball kills him with it being pinpoint and Ings on the run. The FB sees everything, he has to not be ball watching, see what’s happened and either follow the run or let it go. He does neither, steps up after the balls played when he panics as he see’s he’s deep and Ings is in, meaning he can’t even recover.

Simple way to score a goal at this level and we don’t do it since Jota left.

I agree to an extent.
View attachment 6649

This is the earliest shot available. Bueno is already 2 yards behind Collins (our deepest player) and this is nearly 2 seconds before the ball is played (an age in football, Bueno has covered over 5 yards in that time). Yes Neves gets sucked in but out the corner of his eye he sees Kilman is nearly level. I think even if Neves holds a line with Collins this long ball kills him with it being pinpoint and Ings on the run. The FB sees everything, he has to not be ball watching, see what’s happened and either follow the run or let it go. He does neither, steps up after the balls played when he panics as he see’s he’s deep and Ings is in, meaning he can’t even recover.

Simple way to score a goal at this level and we don’t do it since Jota left.

Think this angle gives you an earlier view, ball hasn't even made it to Mings yet. Shows you how far out of position Kilman is when the ball is lost too, upfield and outside of Bueno.
Screenshot_20230106-192146.png
From that position your holding player has got to do his dirty work and fill in at centre half until he knows his man has definitely recovered. He needs to ignore Buendia, give Nunes a shout to pick him up, and just concentrate on the line and filling that hole in the middle of the defence.

As you can see on your still he's already losing that battle, he's holding position rather than dropping off like Collins and Bueno, if he'd mirrored them then maybe the ball over the top doesn't kill him completely. He then makes completely the wrong call as Mings plays the ball, stepping in to pressure the pass to Buendia and the ball goes straight over the top of him.

Between him and Bueno there should have been enough cover but one decides to run the wrong way and the other tries an awful attempt at playing offside way too late in the day. They maybe get away with it if Sa doesn't slip but it's one of those were multiple small but basic mistakes stack up and make everyone look absolutely stupid.

Neves looks at Kilman points and obviously feels he's in a position to get back in and so Neves goes inside with Buendia. Kilman looks to be goal side of Ings as well at that point but makes he makes his run on the blindside and Kilman never reacts. Neves should have stayed in for me just to make sure, Kilman should be busting a gut to get back in and Bueno should spot that if he stepped up he plays Ings offside but he was worried about the ball to Bailey as Villa were playing those diagonals all second half.

However you look at it it's a poor goal to concede.

Neves looks at Kilman points and obviously feels he's in a position to get back in and so Neves goes inside with Buendia. Kilman looks to be goal side of Ings as well at that point but makes he makes his run on the blindside and Kilman never reacts. Neves should have stayed in for me just to make sure, Kilman should be busting a gut to get back in and Bueno should spot that if he stepped up he plays Ings offside but he was worried about the ball to Bailey as Villa were playing those diagonals all second half.

However you look at it it's a poor goal to concede.
Add to that there was zero pressure on Mings. Moutinho was doing that in the first half. Hodge was nowhere near Mings which meant he had all the time in the world to pick his pass.

Think this angle gives you an earlier view, ball hasn't even made it to Mings yet. Shows you how far out of position Kilman is when the ball is lost too, upfield and outside of Bueno.
View attachment 6651
From that position your holding player has got to do his dirty work and fill in at centre half until he knows his man has definitely recovered. He needs to ignore Buendia, give Nunes a shout to pick him up, and just concentrate on the line and filling that hole in the middle of the defence.

As you can see on your still he's already losing that battle, he's holding position rather than dropping off like Collins and Bueno, if he'd mirrored them then maybe the ball over the top doesn't kill him completely. He then makes completely the wrong call as Mings plays the ball, stepping in to pressure the pass to Buendia and the ball goes straight over the top of him.

Between him and Bueno there should have been enough cover but one decides to run the wrong way and the other tries an awful attempt at playing offside way too late in the day. They maybe get away with it if Sa doesn't slip but it's one of those were multiple small but basic mistakes stack up and make everyone look absolutely stupid.
I don’t disagree with your assessment, I just feel the majority of the blame falls at Bueno’s door.
Kilman looks to be goal side of Ings as well at that point but makes he makes his run on the blindside and Kilman never reacts.
I can’t say for sure as there isn’t an angle that covers the pitch at the correct time but I don’t think Kilman is ever really in a position to cover that run, particular with the pace discrepancy.

I don’t disagree with your assessment, I just feel the majority of the blame falls at Bueno’s door.

I don't think there's much to split them in terms of responsibility, either one of them does their job properly and it probably doesn't happen. Bueno has two options, dabbles in both and ultimately succeeds with neither as a result, but he's a young inexperienced play so you're bound to get some shaky decision making along the way. Neves only has one hand to play and he folds, considering he's captain, the defensive presence in midfield and many would says the star player I think that loads the responsibility on him.
I can’t say for sure as there isn’t an angle that covers the pitch at the correct time but I don’t think Kilman is ever really in a position to cover that run, particular with the pace discrepancy.
Agree here, Kilman never even looks close enough to try and foul him let alone get goal side of him, anyone passing him on to Kilman is making a terrible choice at best, passing the buck at worst.

View attachment 6646
Yes, he’s out of shot - but when he comes in to shot you can see how easily Ings runs off him and Kilman just gives up. Wank defending.

Yes, he’s out of shot - but when he comes in to shot you can see how easily Ings runs off him and Kilman just gives up. Wank defending.
If you read the posts above you’ll see that’s not the case.

That angle is poor from perspective. They are nowhere each other.

Back