• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa 1-1 Wolves: Verdict Thread

There was enough time for him to figure out where Ings was. Mings was under no pressure and had maybe five whole seconds to pick Ings out.
No there was not, said to my Barman at the time Killman is out of position, he was trying to get back in , but one pass square, one long ball done.

Ten days til the next league game. Let’s hope we have a couple of signings by then. I’m quite optimistic if we do
I honestly wasn't expecting so much improvement already. With a little more depth we should be able to get our heads above water.

No there was not, said to my Barman at the time Killman is out of position, he was trying to get back in , but one pass square, one long ball done.
Yes there was?

We can go back and forth like this all day.

I want to know why Cunha after being on the pitch 10 mins made no effort to get up with RAN. Was pretty much waking. Could have had a tap in.

1st half good, 2nd half not good. Nunes good. Kilman not good. Initial tactics good, substitutions not good. Podence goal good, defending for the equaliser not good. All in all, some good and some bad in that performance, as you'd probably expect from a team near the bottom end.

There's enough promise there to think we can survive, but enough vulnerability to think we may not. We need a new centre half, and we need someone to get the players to calm the fuck down when defending in the 2nd half.

Nunes was outstanding. Looking like the player we thought we were getting.

Yes there was?

We can go back and forth like this all day.
Yeah if you think 2 or 3 seconds is long enough then ok.

Not Sure Michael Johnson would have recovered his position

I must be the only person who thought Hodge did well, some of his passing was really quite good.

He worked hard kept the ball well
No physicality, no movement off the ball, doesn't affect the game, receives the ball too flat. Can't press, can't tackle. Didn't make breaks into the box, passes the ball without purpose and is zero goal threat.

Other than that he's great.

Yeah if you think 2 or 3 seconds is long enough then ok.

Not Sure Michael Johnson would have recovered his position
2 or 3 seconds is an eternity at Prem level.

I saw a bit of the first half and we were playing miles better than before. I'll take a point here. Hopefully we are able to recover a few more points against direct relegation battle rivals to stay. Team feels much more confident under Lopetegui, but we would still welcome a few admissions to be honest.

Great game, proper derby and Wolves much improved under Lopetegui but Danny Ings does us again. Just thankful Leon Bailey didn't win it at the end. Would have taken a point before the game. Surely we have enough about us to get out of this Lage-induced mess

Matheus was superb again and getting better each game. Liked the look of Cunha who gave us some freshness and legs up top and has to be starting ahead of Costa. Another great cameo from RAN, shame he didn't finish his fine effort

That's because he was on the ball further forward trying to find a pass, and got caught out if position, someone needs to fill in when he goes
Ings literally runs past him.

Kilman was trying to cheat and takes a pace forward before Ings makes his move.

You could argue Bueno should've seen that and tracked the run and Collins had time to do similar but it's Kilman that makes the mistake.

Podence was the difference maker tonight - Villa had no clue what to do with him playing almost in a free role. I think Lopetegui may actually be the first Wolves manager to use Podence correctly.

I didn't think Hodge was terrible - he made several very good passes. Lop clearly sees something in him and I'd be interested to see how he does in 90 minutes v Forest.

Yet again, RAN looks to offer more going forwards than in defence. Are there any good arguments against using him exclusively as a forward?

Traore is done. Usually he plays well in a transfer window, but for some reason he's just not turning up at the moment. I genuinely believe that it's more detrimental to the balance of the team to keep picking him in the hope that he transforms a game with a moment of genius, which to be honest seems to only happen 2 or 3 times a season lately. Also seems to have lost a bit of pace - is he carrying an injury?

Expected nothing, gained a point - all in all slightly underwhelming considering the first 30 minutes, but not a bad day at the office and plenty to build on there.

Where did Cunha play when he came on? I missed the majority of the game.

Ings literally runs past him.

Kilman was trying to cheat and takes a pace forward before Ings makes his move.

You could argue Bueno should've seen that and tracked the run and Collins had time to do similar but it's Kilman that makes the mistake.
Bueno should have been in line, obviously, but when a void like that opens up in the middle of your defense you better be running the most effective offside trap in the history of football.

1st half good, 2nd half not good. Nunes good. Kilman not good. Initial tactics good, substitutions not good. Podence goal good, defending for the equaliser not good. All in all, some good and some bad in that performance, as you'd probably expect from a team near the bottom end.

There's enough promise there to think we can survive, but enough vulnerability to think we may not. We need a new centre half, and we need someone to get the players to calm the fuck down when defending in the 2nd half.

Nunes was outstanding. Looking like the player we thought we were getting.
Some good. Some not so good. Kind of sums up a team in our predicament strangely enough. Enough to be positive though, especially with a few new additions.

Through the middle to start but then seemed to drop deeper and Adama was the last man. Clearly quite a fluid player, would like to see him as an IF from my minimal viewing of him

Upfront but we were well under the cosh, spent most of the time defending but showed a few nice bits of movement.

I thought we were much improved from earlier in the season (couldn’t get any worse, really) and confidence is clearly growing under Lop.

Whether it was down to Villa being abysmal or us being decent, that first half was a distant memory three months ago. I think we’ll survive but it’ll be close.

Back