• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

What are your 5 top beers lads?
Without travelling abroad, though when I lived in France I could get 3 different Leffes and the 3rd one was very nice, so I'm keeping mine to the UK.
1 Innis & Gunn (Large bottle 750ml) around 6.5%
2 O'Hara's Double IPA (double hopped) at 7.5% (Irish craft beer)
3 Morland's Old Crafty Hen at 6.5% or if I can't get that - Morland's Old Golden Hen at 5.2% (I think)
4 Abbot Reserve 6.5% or Abbot Ale 5%
5 Fullers IPA Reserve 6% or something like that.

What do you lot like best...?

Ten of the very best (not necessarily in order):

Bathams Bitter
Holdens - Golden Glow
Dark Star - American Pale Ale
Kelham Island - Pale Rider
Crouch Vale - Brewers Gold
Abbeydale - Absolution
Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA
Enville Ale
Hobsons - Town Crier
Surrey Hills - Ranmore Ale

In no particular order, my current favourites:

Tullibardine 1488
Bathams Mild
Banks' Mild
Hobgoblin
Trooper

Yes I need to get out more. I know there are far better than three of those which I'd probably like more.

Trooper is actually really, really nice. I had some in Wollaston a few months back and was very pleasantly surprised. I thought it'd be a decent Robinsons beer (a bit like Elbow's beer) but it was much better than that and up there with Unicorn, which is my favourite Robinsons ale.

When I lived in Robinson's land (Stockport) I used to quite like Robbie's bitter, but it was a full flavoured beer and upon trying it out in more recent times, found it a bit disappointing. Probably because there are so many more full flavoured beers around now.

Jolemai mentioned Hobgoblin which Lidl do here for €2 a bottle but they do a better one with a scarecrow on the front, and I can't remember the name of it....
It gorgeous!

When I lived in Robinson's land (Stockport) I used to quite like Robbie's bitter, but it was a full flavoured beer and upon trying it out in more recent times, found it a bit disappointing. Probably because there are so many more full flavoured beers around now.

Maybe it was just a poor pint? It's really good if you find a decent pint of it. I'd personally rate it much higher than Wychwood, Speckled Hen, London Pride etc.

Jolemai mentioned Hobgoblin which Lidl do here for €2 a bottle but they do a better one with a scarecrow on the front, and I can't remember the name of it....
It gorgeous!

Circlemaster. Not a great fan of either TBH though my mother-in-law makes a very tasty beer cake, and has found Hobgoblin to be the best beer to use for it.

In no particular order:-
Enville Ale
Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA
Pardoe's - Entire
Thwaites - Lancaster Bomber
Hog's Back - T.E.A.
Holden's - Golden Glow
Brain's SA
Byatt's Bitter
Fuller's - London Pride

In no particular order:-
Enville Ale
Thornbridge - Jaipur IPA
Pardoe's - Entire
Thwaites - Lancaster Bomber
Hog's Back - T.E.A.
Holden's - Golden Glow
Brain's SA
Byatt's Bitter
Fuller's - London Pride

Forgot about Entire - lovely stuff. As is Bumblehole. And I also left out Ossett - Silver King which is tremendous.

I had a Byatt's beer last weekend when I was in Kidderminster - Big Cat I think it was called?

Forgot about Entire - lovely stuff. As is Bumblehole. And I also left out Ossett - Silver King which is tremendous.

I had a Byatt's beer last weekend when I was in Kidderminster - Big Cat I think it was called?

'Tis indeed. There are some decent micros (Slaughterhouse, Church Farm, Warwickshire Beer Company) around this neck of the woods plus one or two slightly bigger boys like Purity and Church End.

I don't go out enough so I'll have to list my top 5 bottled ales in no particular order.

Adnams - Ghost Ship
Purity - Mad Goose
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Brakspear - Oxford Gold
Black Sheep Brewery (is it?) - Golden Sheep

Ubu on tap is my favourite at the minute.

I think I'd have Boondoggle, Wye Valley HPA and Oakham Citra in my top ten. Along with the usual suspects Bathams, Glow etc.

Anyone watching the programme about Marston's on Channel 5. Could be quite interesting, but they've gone for the jovial "Life of Grime" style 'funny characters' portrayal.

I think I'd have Boondoggle, Wye Valley HPA and Oakham Citra in my top ten. Along with the usual suspects Bathams, Glow etc.

Must take note to always drink what Machin's drinking.

I am fairly new to ales so don't have an extensive knowledge but Boondoggle, Bathams and Glow are all ace.

I have impeccable taste....

Finally got it down to ten, but I'll probably change my mind. The choice must be heavily biased by where you live and where you drink - 7 of mine are available from the 3 pubs in my village

Black Sheep Bitter
Enville White
Boondoggle
Harvey's Old Ale
Adnams Broadside
Oakham JHB
Oakham Inferno
Milton Pegasus
Timothy Taylor Landlord
Felinfoel Double Dragon

Well the Vine was superb. Fantastic pub and top service.

As we had no idea what time we would be getting there, we took a chance rather than a book a table for the food. They were a tad full and as we were only allowed in the lounge bit due to little Lewis being with us, they made a space at the bar for us to eat. Food fucking top notch, wish I could remember the Ales that were on but all I can remember was one called Wainwrights (which a load of people had mixed with Ginger Ale for some weird ass Shandy type drink). Spend most of the time in their answering questions about the pub but will certainly be doing the walk again and will attempt! to remember/try more of the ales but the first part of the walk after the pub is some pretty steep hills, so ale on top of grub might not be the best idea.

Popped in to see my little brother and sister in law at The Waggon & Horses in Stourbridge and enjoyed a quick Draig Coch from The Great Orme Brewery. Thought I might catch a Langers about but unfortunately not. Left one behind the bar for you, mate, so enjoy!

Currently sat in the Waggon enjoying the pint you kindly left for me - cheers!! Going down very nicely indeed.

Just been given 12 cans of Duff beer from a supplier. German brewed 'premiun' lager - 4.7%
Anyone on here sampled it before?

Back