• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Beer

With my tin hat on given my lack of German knowledge, I always thought that the noun lager was a British invention of the 1960s (only suited to maiden aunts), lager being the verb to store. Light colour German low temperature bottom fermented beers (that is it takes ~3 months and therfore stored) were called Pilsner after the Pilsen, Czech Republic model (been there!). Alt is generally a darker version. I'm sure that German beer is far more diverse than my brief general summary.

The irony is that to lager a beer takes longer than the usual fermentation process for ales, but it became so popular because brewers could make brew it quickly and cheaply using modern techniques (carbonation instead of secondary fermentation).

That verse didn't make it into the Alanis Morrisette song.

Very nice beer, but always smells a bit...... eggy??

Marston's Pedigree was described affectionately in an eighties Good Beer Guide as having the aroma of a wet dog, back in the day that you could rely on the local stuff rather than it's now over exposed national market.

Very nice beer, but always smells a bit...... eggy??

Sounds like you might have experienced stale pipes or a barrel starting to quack to me. Can't say I've noticed but now you're put that seed in my mind I will be looking out for it tomorrow.

Can't wait actually, the hours are counting down too slow!

Sounds like you might have experienced stale pipes or a barrel starting to quack to me. Can't say I've noticed but now you're put that seed in my mind I will be looking out for it tomorrow.

No, it's definitely the brew. Different pubs, different Enville beers, all have that certain aroma.

Going anywhere nice?

No, it's definitely the brew. Different pubs, different Enville beers, all have that certain aroma.

Indeed. There's less of the eggy aroma in the Enville White though. Which is why it's my favourite of the Enville Ales.

For those who may be interested, there's an Enville Brewery beer festival at the Summerhouse on the Newhampton Rd. next weekend.

http://www.summerhousewolves.com/index-4.html

I don't think I've had a beer in a month or two... may have to fix that.

I don't think that I've had a beer in an hour or two. I need to fix that.

Instant FAIL for not using Paint It Black by The Stones.

Yeah!
Good one! That would have been deadly!
Never thought of that, unless they couldn't get past copyright stuff or whatever it is you've got to get permission for...

The Cat is indeed ace, unfortunately it has been shut everytime I've ventured down that way for the past 15 years. Probably best to go on the night if your planning a trip down there

Yes, it shuts after lunch. Bloody rural pubs.

Please does anyone know of any offers o thatcher's cider bottles (Preferably Katys) ?

I fancy about 10 bottles tonight but if I get from my local offy it will cost about 30 quid!

I live in Dudley.

Come to Somerset and I'll help you out!

Back