• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bolton Wanderers (A) build up 12/9

The thing is we all know exactly what Edwards will do (or more pertinently, not do). Why do we have to wait for him to have a shocker - which will inevitably mean the team suffers - before we bring in a better player? And he was actively detrimental to us vs Charlton anyway when he was nominally parked on the right, same as he was on the opposite side vs QPR.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this Dan.

Kenny Jackett said:
It’s been interesting watching the players and it was great to see Dave Edwards contribute to Wales’ success. I’m really pleased for him. There were injuries to Joe Allen and Joe Ledley, so it was probably an unexpected call-up but for his club form this year it was well deserved and he played very well, leading them to two very good victories.

He’s been very good. I feel he has improved again this season. He has a real hunger and determination to always do better. I think he is round about now at his peak. I think he is terrific. He has consistency improved since I have been here. He wore the captain’s armband in the last home game against Charlton with a lot of pride.

A case of a manager having a blind spot or someone with a much greater grasp of football tactics than you or I seeing something that we can't?

I do agree with you on the 'waiting for him to have a shocker' point though. We've always seemed to react to setbacks rather than proactively gone about creating a distinctive style of football under KJ. Why do we have to wait for the likes of Edwards and Doherty to have a poor game for players with more ability to come in and take their place? It's exactly what I disliked about Mick McCarthy. The 'He hasn't let me down so I can't drop him' mindset which lead to so many limited players getting extended runs in the team.

1352 sold

Quite decent IMO considering the problems with trains, the uninspiring transfer window and the fact that it's a shitehole away day that most have done at least once recently.

I have been trying to see it for nearly eight years now :)

I find it hard to have a go at him because he is so obviously a good bloke who gives it everything he has. But I just cannot fathom why such a limited player keeps getting so many opportunities here under multiple managers. You could understand it to a degree under Mick as his default reset was hard work (and that's fine at this level). But since? We keep playing him ahead of what I consider to be better footballers and especially now we place an emphasis on possession and technical skills I find it really hard to understand. I like to think I know what makes a good footballer and sadly Dave is not a good footballer.

What gets me is Ken has openly said more than once that he can't play in a 4-4-2 (or derivative thereof) and yet he still picks him to do it. You can't ever fault his effort - but he's all at sea wherever you put him in that set up 90% of the time.

I think Edwards will be in the first team on a regular basis now. That is not only based on KJ's comments, but the fact that he was captain against Charlton Athletic.

He'll play alongside Coady if McDonald isn't fully fit.

He has no place being a regular starter for a top six team in this division. He wasn't for us seven years ago.

If we keep picking him then we won't go up, 100%. I could understand if we had no-one better but clearly that is not the case. In what world has he ever been a wide player or capable of playing in a central two? He must be close to 100 starts for Wolves in those roles (discounting all those where he started where he can actually play, off a front man) and in those 100 games he hasn't had 10 good displays.

We get it, you don't rate him. Saying we won't go up if we pick him is OTT though.

He's been one of our best and most consistent performers this season. Until that changes he won't be going anywhere.

He has not been very good at all. You rated his performance vs Hull when he was tripe. He looked lost vs QPR and wasted pretty much our only opportunities vs Cardiff (bar Hause's header) with his shite technique. He was poor vs Charlton, the best you could say is he kept going. Had we drawn 1-1 then he'd have been in the line of fire for missing the target from six yards out, unmarked.

But let's have it your way and leave him in the team until he costs us a game.

You're in the extreme minority with those opinions.

Edwards will play against this lot and I hope it's instead of McDonald alongside Coady. It's not what I would do, but him there with Ojo/Wallace/Byrne giving width is the way I'd fit him in with 2 up top

Of the games I've seen this season;

Blackburn - MOTM. The standout player in a very poor game.
Hull - Thought he was appalling.
QPR - Quality first half hour, a passenger for the rest. You could say that about any of our players that day though.
Cardiff - Appalling.

I don't see how he was been a consistent performer, only in his work rate. Lycan has his performances spot on. He was also poor against Charlton too though credit to him for getting the equaliser.

I can't fault his effort and attitude, he's obviously a top bloke as well. However, I don't think he is of the quality we need and I actually think he is of a detriment to the team's performance.

If he wins the player of the month vote (which I think he will) then I'll be accepting apologies at your own leisure.

I don't care what the public think. They gave Mark Rankine player of the year in 1995. They have just elected another Tory government. They haven't got a clue what they're on about.

Amongst your peers (ie here) then clearly I am not in the extreme minority as thus far everyone agrees with me and not you.

I never said it was limited to just on here.

Plus he got the most votes on the PoTM thread on here IIRC.

It's pointless us arguing anyway. He'll be in the team no matter what either of us think.

Extreme minority would imply it were just me that felt that way, or at best 1-2% of Wolves fans. Quite obviously that isn't the case.

You can admit you made a ridiculous sweeping statement that was horribly wrong, you know. Given that quite obviously you are wrong.

Last time I checked the PotM thread Coady was in front by a distance IIRC. I can't check right now as I'm on Tapatalk.

Back