• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Boris at it again and the contest to replace the lying c***

surprised by the above 2 posts tbh. I kinda anticipate that the grey vote will continue to vote tory in their droves. They will forget this circus, and instead move to focus on the triple lock, as well as the small boats...
Only way I see that changing is if boris taking the stand is the total car crash it should be.

Ha, exception to the rule here, I’m part of the ‘grey vote’ and have voted Labour all my adult life.

I know that I'm a sad bar steward but I'm finding the Covid Inquiry stuff of the last couple of days compelling listening. The evidence of today suggest that Johnson made light of the struggles Italy was facing (which was the biggest warning flag to us all at the time - Italy not Johnson) with his normal bullshit and came out with the "we're going to be world beating at our response to this.

The projections here are the Lib Dem’s will gain significantly but still nowhere near enough to win the seat.

Anecdotally at least, the natives recognise how utterly useless the Tories are, but voting Labour is out of the question. I mean, you can be pissed off with Wolves and decide to stay away, but you wouldn’t buy a ticket and sit in the Brummie Road stand at the Baggies.

My idiot parents vote Tory even though it's demonstrably the worst choice for them. Not much pension, needing more health care, zero chance of being able to afford private, the list goes on.

They think Boris was unjustly vilified for "a few parties". Think they hard it harder it terms of getting on the housing ladder. Criticise others for getting hand outs whilst they receive support. The list goes on.

I can't / don't talk politics with them because it's infuriating.

The projections here are the Lib Dem’s will gain significantly but still nowhere near enough to win the seat.

Anecdotally at least, the natives recognise how utterly useless the Tories are, but voting Labour is out of the question. I mean, you can be pissed off with Wolves and decide to stay away, but you wouldn’t buy a ticket and sit in the Brummie Road stand at the Baggies.
I'd be astonished if the Tories manage to hold on to Guildford just down the road from you. But we're a marginally more diverse community than Epsom. ;)

I know that I'm a sad bar steward but I'm finding the Covid Inquiry stuff of the last couple of days compelling listening. The evidence of today suggest that Johnson made light of the struggles Italy was facing (which was the biggest warning flag to us all at the time - Italy not Johnson) with his normal bullshit and came out with the "we're going to be world beating at our response to this.
Helen McNamara's testimony is considered, detailed, absolutely fascinating, and so far, much more damaging in my view that the circus we had yesterday. She comes across as diligent too - I mean, her witness statement ran to 100 pages. And she's pulling no punches - telling the inquiry her phone was deleted by the government, and they put barriers in the way of her obtaining evidence to support her witness statement.

Yes this very much chimes with my experience in the Home Counties, and it gels with larger polling. The anti-Tory “vote” is now huge, but a lot of it is that people who were previously consistent Tory voters are going “a pox on all their houses” and not even bothering. Lots of anecdotal evidence only, but what I keep hearing is that Boris may have “got Brexit done” in the short term but he was a liar on that last part, they’re pissed that they keep hearing how different people are getting fucked over and not supported by the government (eg farmers) - and it doesn’t matter that it was predicted by Project Fear, they think we should look after our own - and the whole party since 2019 seems corrupt, selfish, and unhinged, obsessed with culture war stuff and ignoring that their retirement savings are being drained quicker than they’d like because their kids and grandkids need help paying the mortgage or affording any kind of childcare. Scared of what might happen soon if they have to go into a care home too, all too aware that the system is fucked there, and hearing Boris was actually wanting to sacrifice retirees for the economy is solidifying the feeling that the Tories are just a bunch of sociopathic bullies.

I could easily just say “welcome to the party” and rub it in whenever I hear this, but there’s no point really, it’s too late, and anyway they know they’re reaping what they voted for, deep down. But it doesn’t translate into pro-anyone else for these older people. Younger people who would normally become Tories in their 30s as they had kids and settled down are going Lib Dem instead mostly, with some Labour in the bigger towns like High Wycome which are now full of graduate white collar commuters who wanted to keep living in London but got forced out by housing costs.

There are seats in the SE which have never not been Tory, since even before the Reform Act, and some of them are going to flip. The Tories have created a hugely diverse anyone-but-them coalition, which is political suicide everywhere it happens.

Last edited:
I'd be astonished if the Tories manage to hold on to Guildford just down the road from you. But we're a marginally more diverse community than Epsom. ;)

Epsom and Ewell, 2019

Grayling, Conservative 31,819 53% Down 6.1%
Gee, LD 13,936 23.5% Up 11.0%
Mayne, Labour 10,226 17.2% Down 7.8%
Baker, Green 2,047 3.4%. Up 0.6%

Guildford

Richardson, Con 26,317 44.9% Down, 9.7%.
Franklin, LD 22,980 39.2%. Up 15.3%
Rouse, Labour 4,515 7.7% Down 11.3%

Bloody hell, didn’t realise the Tory seat in Guildford was so precarious! Clearly the LD’s picked up the disgruntled Tory vote last time in both constituencies. No doubt they’ll pick up more again this time but how much will a Labour resurgence hurt their vote too?

Richardson does look toast though, that’ll be a good watch on election night.

surprised by the above 2 posts tbh. I kinda anticipate that the grey vote will continue to vote tory in their droves. They will forget this circus, and instead move to focus on the triple lock, as well as the small boats...
Only way I see that changing is if boris taking the stand is the total car crash it should be.
The boomer generation are getting fewer in number. The grey vote is starting at people not much older than me. And that generation isn’t the safe Tory vote.

Not sure you're the best example tbh. I mean, you voted tory for years I believe, and then turned, and not many do/would. You instead fucked off to somewhere several thousand miles away to get away from them and what they're doing. I'd suggest you're the exception rather than the norm!

I mean I hope all of you are right, but we've been here before (surely no one will vote for brexit, surely no one will vote cameron in after austerity, surely boris will never be prime minister etc) and they all happened.

I can't help worry the wish is the father of the thought in this current thinking. I am not convinced the current news is sufficient to make people turn for an election many months away, and plenty can happen between now and then to change minds too.

If the odds were worth it then I'd bet as much as possible on the Tories not being the next Government. The odds aren't worth it.

This isn't a splinter issue like Brexit (and Johnson's own election - directly against Corbyn, who was a deeply divisive character to put it mildly - was an extension of Brexit). They're done.

More chance of Sheffield United staying up.

Epsom and Ewell, 2019

Grayling, Conservative 31,819 53% Down 6.1%
Gee, LD 13,936 23.5% Up 11.0%
Mayne, Labour 10,226 17.2% Down 7.8%
Baker, Green 2,047 3.4%. Up 0.6%

Guildford

Richardson, Con 26,317 44.9% Down, 9.7%.
Franklin, LD 22,980 39.2%. Up 15.3%
Rouse, Labour 4,515 7.7% Down 11.3%

Bloody hell, didn’t realise the Tory seat in Guildford was so precarious! Clearly the LD’s picked up the disgruntled Tory vote last time in both constituencies. No doubt they’ll pick up more again this time but how much will a Labour resurgence hurt their vote too?

Richardson does look toast though, that’ll be a good watch on election night.
Guildford's been true Blue in all but 3 elections since 1865. Last time we flipped to the LDs was in 2001. But it's a strong Remain area and Richardson has been hiding since Covid. The LD's are very active and Zoe Franklin is an excellent candidate. All the anyone-but-Tory vote will go to her, I think.

Not sure you're the best example tbh. I mean, you voted tory for years I believe, and then turned, and not many do/would. You instead fucked off to somewhere several thousand miles away to get away from them and what they're doing. I'd suggest you're the exception rather than the norm!

I mean I hope all of you are right, but we've been here before (surely no one will vote for brexit, surely no one will vote cameron in after austerity, surely boris will never be prime minister etc) and they all happened.

I can't help worry the wish is the father of the thought in this current thinking. I am not convinced the current news is sufficient to make people turn for an election many months away, and plenty can happen between now and then to change minds too.
They are toast. Their hero wanted their main electors to die so his mates in the press wouldn’t say bad things about him. And everything since has been corrupt and shambolic.

I was a Tory as you say. Lived in a very blue constituency. And none of the friends I went to school with now still vote Tory either. All of us previously did.

They are getting a serious kicking in the next election.

It's quite unbelievable what is coming out from this enquiry. Or at least, it should be.

It was so fucking obvious they didn't have a clue what they were doing at the time, to hear it explained makes it all the more disgusting.

The deliberate deletion of phone records that McNamara gave evidence about is a big concern as well

Of course after her evidence nobody can believe Boris and Rish! saying the lost info is an accident and they are trying REALLY hard to retrieve it.

Another nail in the coffin. I’m hoping for an electoral pasting so bad they are gone for generations.

Back