• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brentford 1-4 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Thought this was a banana skin game for us and even at 3-1 it was never safe due to our defending. At times we are so easily opened up and you can see us conceding but somehow in the last two games we have evaded too much damage.

The high press worked nicely in the opening half and we took control thanks to a comedy second goal and then a superb finish from Hwang to make it three.

Nice to be able to relax for a few mins at the end as usually we are hoping for the final whistle.

Overall, a competent display with some good performances from Ait-Nouri, Lemina, Gomes and Hwang.

Now for Everton who are not going to be easy. Hopefully Man City will tire them out in a losing cause in the game being played right now.

Very enjoyable game under the lights, great to see us get a few goals though didn't feel truly comfortable until JRB got the 4th. Shame Hwang got injured as he was having a good game and would probably have got his hat-trick. Word for agent Collins, did more for us tonight than he ever did in a gold shirt! 6 points from Chelsea and Brentford feels great, up to 11th, level points with Chelsea in 10th

Fantastic result, and we are basically safe now.

We played some really nice stuff at times first half. We’re never in control in or out of possession but that was about the closest I’ve seen us under GON.

Not sure how we only conceded one but some good last ditch stuff at times.

Poor Nathan Collins…

As open a PL game as you could wish to see. Brentford broadly the creators of their own downfall with their terrible defending and poor finishing. All that said, I think Sa only made 1 proper save. 4-1 flatters us, but ultimately if a side wants to throw a game away then you take advantage of it and we were clinical in doing so. I think if Dawson had played we'd have been less panicy at the back, we lacked a calming presence.

Nice to see a player finding minimal contact in the box and falling over against us not getting a penalty

One observation is how we made the right decisions, and the executed them in the box to get the goals. Makes such a difference compared to when we seem to routinely do the wrong thing.
It's vast!

We also never used to press like this, no way we score those last 3 goals under Lop, we just wouldn't be that high up the pitch.

Great Xmas so far, if you’d said after the BHA game in August we’d be on 25 points come midway I’d have been ecstatic. So much to work yes but a lot to happy about scoring goals being the main one and a forward who’s broken double figures already.

Seemed like all the defenders had been on the piss at times. Fun game and great to see 4 Wolves goals.
RAN was superb.
4th goal came at just the right time, we'd been running in treacle for 10 minutes prior.

Good performance all round. Thought Gomes had an excellent game, played some good progressive passes as well as his usual hard work in defensive duties. RAN was very good, Kilman had one of his good games, and Santi looked a very capable player. Cunha was a bit quiet and ineffective but then played a great pass to lay it on a plate for Bellegarde. Having Neto back will be a real boon to a team that is looking more confident already.

I think Lemina summed it up perfectly in his post match interview.

Elements were disappointing. But we were clinical and overall deserved the victory.

My MOTM was Santiago Bueno. Coming in for Dawson is no mean feat and he was solid.

Can someone explain why Hwang has such a deadly, composed touch in front of goal but outside the box he plays like he's got springs on his feet?

O'Neil outperforming Lopetegui with a weakened squad and entertaining.
Sorry too much Christmas grog. 🤣

Back