• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 0 - 0 Wolves Verdict Thread

C'Mon Frank, tow the party line for once and hate on the ref! ;0)

I agree it wouldn't get overturned though, which means Price may finally be back in contention (injuries aside) and I think he makes us a better team - every cloud and all that!

Price wasn't even on the bench today, is he injured?
Either way I cant see him in the team anyway (for league matches)

Price wasn't even on the bench today, is he injured?
Either way I cant see him in the team anyway (for league matches)

Price has had an ankle knock which has kept him out of contention for the past couple of games.

It'll be Edwards & KMac in the middle, guaranteed.

Martinez won over the South Bank towards the end of the game by urging them to keep hold of the ball when it had gone into the crowd. He then fiend disappointment to the ref when it was chucked back on with him already having a replacement.

Martinez won over the South Bank towards the end of the game by urging them to keep hold of the ball when it had gone into the crowd. He then fiend disappointment to the ref when it was chucked back on with him already having a replacement.
Very pleased for the guy. It can't be easy to build yourself back up after all the fallout from his cockups. For me he is a superior keeper to Ikeme.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It'll be Edwards & KMac in the middle, guaranteed.

Which will be disastrous with Edwards ability as a traditional CM and KMac's total lack of form.

If Price is fit I'd play him alongside McDonald and push Edwards (undroppaable in Ken's eyes, not mine) forward behind ALF and rest Afobe who seems somewhat distracted at the moment. McDonald didn't find any real form last year until Price came into the side either.

It was a really poor match, Brighton created more chances but none of them really extended Martinez - even the penalty was fairly routine.

Golbourne had a very poor game, a shadow of the player he was and the foul for the penalty was horrible, just no need. The other three at the back played well and as Iorfa, our full back, was our main attacking threat it is no wonder we created little.

Coady was ineffective - that we didn't miss him after he was dismissed sums up his contribution. Edwards was busy but spent a lot of time running back and forwards as the ball was lumped up field.

Ojo, not in the game. Henry, involved but lost the ball too often.

Afobe, one chance and sent it for a throw in - Geoff Thomas-esque. ALF, ran around but no quality service, unlucky to see his effort cleared off the line.

McDonald came on after Coady's red - tried to get Wolves going but in reality it was about not conceding.

It was pretty clear that Brighton had negated our tactics within the first 15 minutes or so but there was no change in our approach, instead we just slowly deteriorated as the game went on.

Coady's was a red.

Think yesterday will be a big confidence boost to the defensive unit, however we looked very drab in a attacking sense even prior to the red card.
I'm not worried about making the top 6, by the time we find a settled line up it'll be to late.
We look very mid table to bottom half currently.
Just hope we don't get bogged down in the bottom 8-6 of the league.

Think yesterday will be a big confidence boost to the defensive unit, however we looked very drab in a attacking sense even prior to the red card.
I'm not worried about making the top 6, by the time we find a settled line up it'll be to late.
We look very mid table to bottom half currently.
Just hope we don't get bogged down in the bottom 8-6 of the league.

It could give the defensive unt confidence but there is a reasonable chance that unit will be changed for the next league game to accommodate a returning Batth? I don't like Hause as a left back he isn't comfortable there at all.

He played there last season when we were playing some of our best stuff. Golbourne offers zero going forward and can't defend at the moment, so think he needs to be dropped. Although I wouldn't be comfortable seeing EEL or Batth on their weaker side as both aren't that comfortable on the right!

I do not think that an appeal would be successful. Personally I think the red card was probably correct given the modern interpretation of the rules.

This for me. I don't agree with the rules, but that's a different issue. The image doesn't show the ferocity of the challenge which is what the red was for.

I was there. North Bank. Long way away from the Coady red card incident, but the ref was persuaded by the Brighton players to call for a stretcher... very well orchestrated, you can see what they work on in training. And then... a miracle! The fouled player gets up and walks!

Never been that close to a penalty, or a fantastic save like that. Martinez has settled in, and long may the clean sheets continue.

Afobe tried so hard after the red card in the second half - how he didn't get a penalty from the several incidents inflicted on him beggars belief. Ref obviously a Brighton fan, or anti-Wolves, but should never be allowed to officiate again.

Edwards still a liability. McDonald seemed to try when he came on - and this from someone who thinks his 'heads-gone' should have seen him pushed out of the door.

Price when fit MUST start. Le Fondre to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1 with Afobe behind in the '10' (the clue is in the number on his back). The current formation is NEVER going to gel. End its use NOW.

This for me. I don't agree with the rules, but that's a different issue. The image doesn't show the ferocity of the challenge which is what the red was for.

They both went in with the same ferocity though, so should they both have been sent off?

I was there. North Bank. Long way away from the Coady red card incident, but the ref was persuaded by the Brighton players to call for a stretcher... very well orchestrated, you can see what they work on in training. And then... a miracle! The fouled player gets up and walks!

Ref had the red card out immediately, it had nothing to do with the Brighton players.

Well I enjoyed the game. There's something to be said for a good backs to the wall performance. Martinez and Iorfa were quality.

Ref had the red card out immediately, it had nothing to do with the Brighton players.

Yup came charging over Mike Jones style and sent him straight off. With the rules the way they are I don't think we can complain over the red. Do wish refs would give themselves more time to think about these things though.

Yup came charging over Mike Jones style and sent him straight off. With the rules the way they are I don't think we can complain over the red. Do wish refs would give themselves more time to think about these things though.

Particularly when the challenge happened in front of his assistant and the fourth official. His first instinct seemed to be to dismiss rather than assess the player. A bit of time to consider and maybe have a chat with his colleagues would have been good refereeing.

He played there last season when we were playing some of our best stuff. Golbourne offers zero going forward and can't defend at the moment, so think he needs to be dropped. Although I wouldn't be comfortable seeing EEL or Batth on their weaker side as both aren't that comfortable on the right!

Yes, he also had Sako in front of him who could magic something by himself and Kortney could stick to defending. With Ojo, Edwards or Henry on the left he won't have that luxury and won't be able to stick to just defensive duties our game dictates him supporting his winger... For me he'll be caught in no mans land, neither attacking or defending. Hause has good potential but I don't for a minute think he's capable of slotting in at full back like Iorfa, Golbourne has become a liability but Hause isn't the option IMO it will cripple our entire left flank.

Not a great game as a spectacle, but we did well to get a point after the red card. I know Price is injured but Ken said in the week that he wouldn't pair him and Coady because there'd be a lack of creativity. What does he think a Coady-Edwards partnership is going to do! Edwards did ok and we needed his energy when we were down to 10 men but he couldn't play there eight years ago and he can't play there now.

Iorfa and Martinez were outstanding, the centre halves don't seem to have a great understanding at the moment but did well individually, Golbourne definitely the weak link at the moment. I'm concerned with him as it stands, he isn't offering enough going in either direction. I called for Ojo to play but he was really disappointing, why doesn't he take his man on? Hard to have a go at Afobe when we were just lamping long balls onto their centre halves heads, he's never going to win them.

I'd probably have taken a point before kick off and I'd definitely have taken one after the sending off, so as a result I'm reasonably satisfied, but performance wise it was one to write off in an attacking sense.

Particularly when the challenge happened in front of his assistant and the fourth official. His first instinct seemed to be to dismiss rather than assess the player. A bit of time to consider and maybe have a chat with his colleagues would have been good refereeing.

A good point. The Brighton player was injured, which gave the referee thinking time. Though unless he was in doubt as to the severity of the challenge he would not need to consult his assistant. Had he done that, the assessor would have presumed that the referee had sent the player off based on the assistants account. What the referee should have done is checked as to whether the Brighton player needed treatment, and then isolated the Wolves player. This would have given the referee plenty of time to decide what action to take. Having said that, I thought the red card was correct.

Back