• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 0 - 0 Wolves Verdict Thread

Yes, he also had Sako in front of him who could magic something by himself and Kortney could stick to defending. With Ojo, Edwards or Henry on the left he won't have that luxury and won't be able to stick to just defensive duties our game dictates him supporting his winger... For me he'll be caught in no mans land, neither attacking or defending. Hause has good potential but I don't for a minute think he's capable of slotting in at full back like Iorfa, Golbourne has become a liability but Hause isn't the option IMO it will cripple our entire left flank.
Hause played at LB against Cardiff this season and was my MOTM. Hardly a high bar given how poorly we played but he's perfectly capable of playing there successfully.

Any mistakes he makes will be less of an issue there too which will help.

I meant to post this yesterday but forgot. What on Earth was Hause's defending all about for their penalty?

He was tracking the run of the striker nicely, then seemed to decide to turn towards the bloke with the ball as though he was going to come out and stop the pass. Then a split second later realised it was the wrong decision, started to stumble a bit as his feet caught up with his brain and then couldn't recover properly. By this time the striker had the run on him into the box and it was a simple through ball to him.

Giving away the penalty wasn't his fault but his decision making made the pass easy and forced Golbourne into coming over and making a challenge.

I may be wrong but isn't there usually a spike in red cards for reckless challenges after a much publicised bad one such as Shaw the other night? Personally I thought it was reckless and he shouldn't be surprised much at being sent off, I think it's an indication of his style that every so often he'll get one wrong.

I meant to post this yesterday but forgot. What on Earth was Hause's defending all about for their penalty?

He was tracking the run of the striker nicely, then seemed to decide to turn towards the bloke with the ball as though he was going to come out and stop the pass. Then a split second later realised it was the wrong decision, started to stumble a bit as his feet caught up with his brain and then couldn't recover properly. By this time the striker had the run on him into the box and it was a simple through ball to him.

Giving away the penalty wasn't his fault but his decision making made the pass easy and forced Golbourne into coming over and making a challenge.

He got caught in 2 minds because yes he had to follow the run but could see that Stephens had a lot of space to run into and no one was getting near him. It didn't force Golbourne to do anything because Murphy was going away from goal and Hause was getting back, it was just an awful challenge that he had no need to make.

Very happy with the point the way we keep getting over run in midfield is really worrying as a combo Edwards & Coady. I like Edwards but If Kenny is going to play him he has to play him in a middle 3 or behind the striker he is no wide player or some one who can play as a 2 in the Middle of the park I'd rather see him on the bench against Preston and revert back to Price & Macca in the middle.

Apart from Martinez there wasn't a stand out performer but everyone worked hard especially when we went down to 10 men.

I may be wrong but isn't there usually a spike in red cards for reckless challenges after a much publicised bad one such as Shaw the other night? Personally I thought it was reckless and he shouldn't be surprised much at being sent off, I think it's an indication of his style that every so often he'll get one wrong.

I would be rather disappointed if a referee was sending a player off based on an incident in another game. Though the challenge on Shaw was shocking and should have resulted in a red card.

He got caught in 2 minds because yes he had to follow the run but could see that Stephens had a lot of space to run into and no one was getting near him. It didn't force Golbourne to do anything because Murphy was going away from goal and Hause was getting back, it was just an awful challenge that he had no need to make.

I would be asking where our midfield had disappeared to as Stephens had so much time and space. You can't really blame Hause for anything, he had to close the man with the ball as he was the immediate threat, you could argue he didn't do it quick enough but that is harsh really.

A good point. The Brighton player was injured, which gave the referee thinking time. Though unless he was in doubt as to the severity of the challenge he would not need to consult his assistant. Had he done that, the assessor would have presumed that the referee had sent the player off based on the assistants account. What the referee should have done is checked as to whether the Brighton player needed treatment, and then isolated the Wolves player. This would have given the referee plenty of time to decide what action to take. Having said that, I thought the red card was correct.

Would the assessor check with the referee or just go with his presumption? I agree that the red was correct but I have had the benefit of replays too. I don't agree with TV replays to check decisions but for such big decisions I don't think there is any harm in the referee going to other officials and saying "is there any reason not to show a red card". It maintains the referee's primary authority but also enables other views to be taken into account.

I would be asking where our midfield had disappeared to as Stephens had so much time and space. You can't really blame Hause for anything, he had to close the man with the ball as he was the immediate threat, you could argue he didn't do it quick enough but that is harsh really.

Spot on Johnny. Edwards got sucked out and left Coady isolated. It was really naive play.

Spot on Johnny. Edwards got sucked out and left Coady isolated. It was really naive play.

Well that's what i would be asking and if you watch it both Coady and Edwards are at fault. Edwards closes down from too far away and can't get close enough to stop the pass and then Coady's challenge is timid to say the least. We then don't have anyone sitting in front of the 2 central defenders which is why 4-4-2 doesn't work because we leave far too many gaps and don't have players who can play it. I'm not Price's biggest fan because i think when he gets the ball he is far too safe but we are missing him just sitting and protecting at the moment. We need him alongside either Coady or McDonald with an actual number 10 infront of them so not Afobe in my opinion. It would help us defensively but also help us get more bodies forward and to actually play football rather than the aimless hoofs that we seem to be seeing a lot of right now.

Would the assessor check with the referee or just go with his presumption? I agree that the red was correct but I have had the benefit of replays too. I don't agree with TV replays to check decisions but for such big decisions I don't think there is any harm in the referee going to other officials and saying "is there any reason not to show a red card". It maintains the referee's primary authority but also enables other views to be taken into account.

Had the referee consulted with his assistant, the assessor would have asked him whether he saw the incident clearly. If he says yes he did, he would then be asked why he felt the need to involve the assistant. Though personally I can see no harm in the referee just confirming that the assistant had seen the incident in the same way. There again, if the referee had sent him off after consulting with his assistant, not just the assessor, but every one in the crowd would have presumed that the assistant had ben instrumental in the decision.

If an assessor is marking down the ref for consulting his assistant for a big decision like that, then there's something wrong with the system.

A good point. The Brighton player was injured, which gave the referee thinking time. Though unless he was in doubt as to the severity of the challenge he would not need to consult his assistant. Had he done that, the assessor would have presumed that the referee had sent the player off based on the assistants account. What the referee should have done is checked as to whether the Brighton player needed treatment, and then isolated the Wolves player. This would have given the referee plenty of time to decide what action to take. Having said that, I thought the red card was correct.

So a ref gets marked down on an assumption by the assessor and for taking a second opinion to ensure he has things correct. No wonder football is in such a bad way.

I am not saying that the assessor would have marked him down. Though he would want clarification of why the assistant was consulted. It is considered by the assessor panel that the referee should only consult his assistants if he has any doubts as to what action should be taken

On Ojo - He looks like a player who is struggling to adapt to playing against men rather than boys. He's not ready yet. I wouldnt be against sending him back to Liverpool tbh, its all too soon for him.

On Ojo - He looks like a player who is struggling to adapt to playing against men rather than boys. He's not ready yet. I wouldnt be against sending him back to Liverpool tbh, its all too soon for him.

I think that is why Liverpool allowed him out on loan, so he could get some first team experience.

I think that is why Liverpool allowed him out on loan, so he could get some first team experience.

Maybe a division lower would be better for him rather than a side with serious play off ambitions. If one of our key pre season signings is already a bust though the Scouse Mafia lot are going to go into a meltdown not seen since Chernobyl.

I am not saying that the assessor would have marked him down. Though he would want clarification of why the assistant was consulted. It is considered by the assessor panel that the referee should only consult his assistants if he has any doubts as to what action should be taken

This should be changed. There are 4 officials watching play (and in some games another 2) can't see the problem with a ref seeking another opinion not least because even if the ref is in no doubt they could still be wrong.

Martinez had a good game, as did the defence, apart from Golbourne who looks like a shell of a player at the moment.

Ratings:

Golbourne - Looked ok until his awful mis-challenge for the penalty. That's two weeks in a row he's made poor challenges that would have both cost us goals if it wasn't for Martinez today - 5

Golbourne - What has happened to him? Terrible challenge for the penalty, gave Bruno and whoever ended up on the right for Brighton too much room and wondered out of position. Doesn't look the same player now that he did at the start of last year.

I worry about Golbourne. I'm not sure he's truly over his injury issues. He does look hesitant to engage in physical battles and he doesn't always seem confident to strike the ball. He had similar issues for Barsnsley after he had a serious injury for them.

Golbourne had a very poor game, a shadow of the player he was and the foul for the penalty was horrible, just no need.

Golbourne has become a liability but Hause isn't the option IMO it will cripple our entire left flank.

Anyone missing Ward yet?

:fished::run:

Back