• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict (or lack thereof) Thread

Alan

…unlucky Del - No chance 😉
Reaction score
Making this more out of formality than necessity.

Personally, 15th place is unacceptable, but with that said, I strongly feel that Zenga should not be sacked unless we start seriously flirting with the bottom. Unless the club is in serious freefall, giving a manager, any manager, less than 1.5 seasons is, in my mind, insane.

Call me old-fashioned.

A Liverpool fan said to me last season "as soon as managers start playing players put of position then he's done". I feel Zenga is starting to do this with his wide players.

I don't like managers to be sacked but currently we are not performing and, imo, performing worse than we would have done under KJ.

The football we are playing isn't even exciting!

A Liverpool fan said to me last season "as soon as managers start playing players put of position then he's done". I feel Zenga is starting to do this with his wide players.

I don't like managers to be sacked but currently we are not performing and, imo, performing worse than we would have done under KJ.

The football we are playing isn't even exciting!

Are you kidding??

We're very inconsistent, it's bloody frustrating seeing us concede early AGAIN, it's annoying seeing us play well for 45 minutes rather than 90 but to say we don't play exciting football is nonsense. Plenty of excitement this season, plenty of highlights - these are why it's so frustrating when it goes the other way and we disappoint. KJ would have done better? Really?

I don't like the talk of changing the head coach so soon but I do understand it. New regime and all that and I don't think these guys will fuck around. They want success and quick. I hope Walter gets a decent run together and he proves his doubters wrong but we've some very talented players who I feel we're not getting as much out of as often as we should be.

As is always the case with money though - it doesn't mix well with patience. Zenga sadly won't get the time Jackett had - we're a different club now.

Well....maybe I've had a few too many cerveza's on the beach today... I will.concede it can be exciting, but only for 45 mins once we have got the first 45 out of our systems!

I don't like the pressure building on Zenga, I like him and I like how he talks about football. Though I don't like how we are not winning and how we don't perform for a full game. Hopefully we will click for Saturday and tonk leeds. Then we can put together a run and this discussion about Zenga can become a distant memory...

No disgrace losing at Brighton but given our attacking options we dont score as many as I would have liked. We are still 5 or 6 points below where we should be at this stage- not insurmountable but thats just an honest opinion given the teams we haver played. It isw more exciting than last year's snorefest however you look at it but Fosun didnt come here to make Wolves a mid table championship team given their investment. Zenga needs the team to go on a run from now til Xmas that sees us lose maybe 2 games in the next 10 , no more. If we are around the 35 points mark then he should be able to strengthen come January in the positions we all agree we are still weaker than we want to be.

Always disappointing to lose and I think we are slightly behind where we should be given the investment. 2 issues for me, we are consistently slow out the blocks Zenga needs to tackle that fast we are conceeding too many early goals. Secondly the team selection Prince on the wing makes no sense at all and Edwards selection despite having 2 decent games this season is baffling. Cav in for Edwards next game moving Prince to box to box and we will have more balance.

I certainly don't want Walter sacked it is far far to early to say that. We need to be in and around the playoffs come Xmas with further investment pending.... CB & GK for me then a push for the top 2 towards the end of the season.

Dont forget we were robbed at the weekend I mean seriously robbed of a deserved 3 points which would change the perspective on this loss against a very capable side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Always disappointing to lose and I think we are slightly behind where we should be given the investment. 2 issues for me, we are consistently slow out the blocks Zenga needs to tackle that fast we are conceeding too many early goals. Secondly the team selection Prince on the wing makes no sense at all and Edwards selection despite having 2 decent games this season is baffling. Cav in for Edwards next game moving Prince to box to box and we will have more balance.

I certainly don't want Walter sacked it is far far to early to say that. We need to be in and around the playoffs come Xmas with further investment pending.... CB & GK for me then a push for the top 2 towards the end of the season.

Dont forget we were robbed at the weekend I mean seriously robbed of a deserved 3 points which would change the perspective on this loss against a very capable side.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
We are 11 points off second, that boat if not sailed is certainly about to pull away from port, although I didn't think that was a realistic aim this season with Norwich and Newcastle in the league. Top 6 should be though, a Wednesday win tonight and we go 7 points off that, not insurmountable, but the gap will be growing.

Despite all the talk of the awful starts Derby and Villa have had we are just 2 points above both of them .

We are 11 points off second, that boat if not sailed is certainly about to pull away from port, although I didn't think that was a realistic aim this season with Norwich and Newcastle in the league. Top 6 should be though, a Wednesday win tonight and we go 7 points off that, not insurmountable, but the gap will be growing.

Despite all the talk of the awful starts Derby and Villa have had we are just 2 points above both of them .
We are 4 points off 6th (should be 2 not Walters fault) I agree we are too low in the table and frustration will mount but it is not like we cant get back up there in the next month or so.

I remember us pissing away automatic promotion with 5 games to go and an 11 point gap (could be slightly off on the stats there but you know what I mean) my point is it is still very early in the season and there is a lot of football to be played. If we are where we are now around Xmas I will worry and it would be unacceptable for that to be so.

As I say there is a good chance that 4 becomes 7 tonight.

I don't think you can look at refereeing decisions and say 'we should have x many points'. Ref gives the penalty against Brentford when Doherty plays basketball and there is every likelihood we go on to lose that game, given we were wobbling at the time, it cuts both ways.

I agree it is still early, but we started the season well, we are regressing results wise, not improving.

Proof is in the pudding 8 points from our last 27 simply isn't good enough.

I'm not advocating sacking Walter... yet... I think the majority of us gave him a grace period at the start but are we actually seeing the elimination of any of these frailties from the opening ten games? For me absolutely not and that is a massive worry.

I will also say Jackett got pilloried for playing Edwards on the left flank yet here we have Oniangue in that position who is an even worse option.

Well one thing I will say, the honeymoon period is officially over!

Drop Edwards, play Cavaleiro or Tex, move Oniangue central. It really isn't that bloody complicated.

I think we all know that Zenga isn't really the right man for the job. We pretty much guessed this when he was appointed. Having said that, I wouldn't be advocating sacking him yet. I'd like to see him given the whole season unless we go on an awful run and look like slipping towards the relegation places. He's a likeable guy and I do want him to succeed but we can't keep starting games in the manner that we are and I'm still not entirely convinced by his team selections.

Not a fan of Oniangue at all tbh.

He has played about two games in his right position. I would rather see him there than Dave bloody Edwards who I have watched polluting our side for a bloody decade.

I lost the plot when Zenga was appointed but he won me over with his personality very quickly, however I think gut feeling is just sometimes very reliable. I think his continuation here depends on;

1. Do Fosun think the team is living up their expectations for this season so far? Given their investment I suspect PO is the absolute minimum.
2. Do they think Zenga can turn it around quickly enough? We aren't that far off 6th but there's plenty of other teams between us and 6th who are also coveting that spot - they aren't all going to drop points
3. Do they think Zenga can re-mould the team for a top two challenge again next season should we stay down? I expect we'll see the loss of our loan players, and the influx of others on loan again next season.

Drop Edwards, play Cavaleiro or Tex, move Oniangue central. It really isn't that bloody complicated.

Oniangue and Edwards both similar animals both lack technical ability but try and compensate with athleticism.

I think we all know that Zenga isn't really the right man for the job. We pretty much guessed this when he was appointed. Having said that, I wouldn't be advocating sacking him yet. I'd like to see him given the whole season unless we go on an awful run and look like slipping towards the relegation places. He's a likeable guy and I do want him to succeed but we can't keep starting games in the manner that we are and I'm still not entirely convinced by his team selections.

+1.

It seems to me that football fans love to see football in black and white but fail to accept for the most part its shades of gray. Small margins are against Wolves at the moment, thats football.

Not a fan of Oniangue at all tbh.

Nor me. I alluded to this in the Villa matchday thread but he stinks of Seyi; Mark 2. He's a big lad and it's so frustrating to see him knocked off the ball so easily. Losing possession of the football in a 50/50 tussle has nothing to do with what position you're playing in (whilst I take on board Walt has shunted him out to the left for some reason only known to him). I'm willing to give him time, but being a nice fella isn't enough.

I just don't understand what football managers think, when they start chucking players out of position randomly. You've got your club record signing who is a natural left winger sitting on the bench, yet you persist with playing a central midfielder wide left. Why?

If I could sum up Wenga's start as Wolves manager in one word, I would use 'Frustrating'. He needs to get some consistency in to this side sooner rather than later, and he needs to do whatever it takes to stop us from going behind in games - because we're giving ourselves too much to do. If the pattern of form hasn't had an upturn by the end of this month and I was Zenga, I'd be looking over my shoulder very nervously.

Back