• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 1 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict (or lack thereof) Thread

Like most I wasn't convinced by Zenga when he was appointed and nothing has changed. I would however like to see him get at least another dozen games and preferably until the end of the season. More worrying to me than Zenga is how few of our 12 new signings have actually made a difference, at this point I would argue only Saiss, Costa, Bod and to a lesser extent Tex and Cav. I know a lot of them didn't have a proper pre season but we are 2 months into the season and yet we had 8 of last years bang average team starting last night, recruitment needs to be much better and more focused on quality over quantity in January.

Three glaringly obvious things last night for me – Lack of communication, lack of intelligence and a perceived lack of confidence (or taking a harsher view was an abundance of laziness).

A section of play which summed it up for me: 35th minute. Iorfa is booked near the half way line for taking down Skalak on the right. The free kick is punted towards the box with no swerve whatsoever and it stays right of the 6 yard box towards Batth, who has no one within 10 yards of him. No call from Ikeme to leave it or indicate he has time, so it’s a hurried header out to Costa on the left wing, who has a man on him by the time it drops. With no space to move he holds him off well and plays it back to Iorfa who is his only option. With no movement off the ball to support in any way other than to casually jog back to the half way line, Iorfa has a player running in and he punts it up the pitch. Straight back to a Brighton player.

Every goal kick Ikeme dithered and took his time to go long, yet nearly every free kick, we looked to play it as quickly as possible to the nearest man, regardless of their position and how they could progress with it, which resulted in us getting swamped in midfield on numerous occasions and giving the ball away. No one wanted the ball - no one in the middle wanted to put in the effort to get in space and we ultimately got what we deserved. The possession stats are hugely misleading for me as the majority of our possession was just knocking it around the back 4: Just like watching England.

The majority of the time our build up play was very slow and unsurprisingly every time we got to the final third we were overrun and lost the ball. On the odd occasion where we played with some zip, Brighton didn’t seem to really have an answer but we either lacked end product or gave them enough time to regroup.

The irony for me is we were lucky to be down by just 1 at half time. There would have been no argument had it been 2 or 3 based on the balance of things as we offered no threat of any note. Only moment which comes to mind was a Costa shot which was tipped over, though had that have gone in it would have been considered an absolute howler. Yet, we were only 1 down due to, in my opinion, a glaring ‘keeper error.

Second half we came out flying and Bod probably should have scored but the defence did enough to make him blast over and give him a bit of a knock for his efforts. Again, we were lethargic and didn’t think about the next passage of play; just how we could get rid of the ball ASAP. Brighton seemed contented with the lead and barring a few chances didn’t take the game by the scruff of the neck like they could have given our play.

Stoppage time was tense. After 91 minutes we finally turned up and Brighton were clinging on for dear life! A flurry of corners and chances but unable to steal an undeserved point. The stats may say different, but the lack of endeavor from so many for so long was hugely disappointing.

As for big Walt, in my opinion he was the wrong appointment at the time and I still hold that opinion. Given his career which is littered with more failure than success he has no business being at a club at this level. With that said, as with Saunders of whom I held the same opinion, all the time he is in charge I genuinely hope he is able to find the answer to turn around what has been a disappointing season to date.

why are our 1st half performances so bad ffs !
is he picking the wrong team ? is he playing players seriously out of position ?
we are only turning up for 45 mins, then have a hill to climb in the second half
where he makes changes and the team seems to get going !!
not convinced with Zenga , his record does not suggest he can manage a great club like Wolves
back into the perm.
i don't think he will be here come xmas

We're only four points off the play-offs but we're one of 10 or 11 teams who are fighting for 6th place. No-one, but no-one, can say Birmingham's squad is as good as ours but they are in 5th place and 7 points ahead of us. Put square pegs in square holes, Walter. I like the guy, but 8 points from our last 9 games is not acceptable: it's relegation form. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him sacked if we lose on Saturday.

I think the reason why I don't want him to fail is that when we're good, we look very good. And he's very charismatic - something we've not had in a manager since McCarthy.

It's certainly not ALL bad and we've had more highs already this season than the whole of last season (not that much of an accolade I know) and I've seen significant improvement in some of the old guard from last season to see that he's doing something right.

But then again, the inconsistency is so frustrating as are the slow starts. I guess we don't know just how ruthless Fosun are yet.

I really hope we can get a decent run together and ease the pressure on Zenga because I really want him to succeed.

not convinced with Zenga , his record does not suggest he can manage a great club like Wolves

We're not a great club.
We used to be a long time ago. Now this season, we're just trying to be better than average.
And not quite managing it.

Wolves are ultimately frustrating at the moment and I'm not sure it all Zenga's fault (playing Prince at LW is clearly his fault but that's by-the-by). Under Jackett's stewardship in his first 2 seasons we played some excellent attacking football that was successful in one league and just failed in the championship. Then the third season and a change of style completely (you could argue the change of style was in March of Jackett's second season) and I have no idea why. We have changed to this nonsense counter attacking-no pressure style that Jackett could not make work and now Zenga can only make work for 45 minutes every 3 games.

Whoever came up with this blueprint needs to be sacked and the blueprint thrown in the bin, it clearly isn't working with these players at all and worse still whoever is brought in cannot adapt to this nonsense either and the same nucleus of 8 players is played to the same dull and boring end.

When we attack and get on the front foot playing with pace and verve we look great but we don't do it often enough or with any regularity. This is 2 managers now that are playing the same weird rhombus system and I don't know if it's the coaches or the Sporting director that have this plan but they need to change it as it hasn't worked in a season and a half now. If that means a clear out of all staff including director, coaching, scouting and analysis then fine do it but do it wholesale and get a bloody identity with it as the current plan has neither identity or results.

Wolves are ultimately frustrating at the moment and I'm not sure it all Zenga's fault (playing Prince at LW is clearly his fault but that's by-the-by). Under Jackett's stewardship in his first 2 seasons we played some excellent attacking football that was successful in one league and just failed in the championship. Then the third season and a change of style completely (you could argue the change of style was in March of Jackett's second season) and I have no idea why. We have changed to this nonsense counter attacking-no pressure style that Jackett could not make work and now Zenga can only make work for 45 minutes every 3 games.

Whoever came up with this blueprint needs to be sacked and the blueprint thrown in the bin, it clearly isn't working with these players at all and worse still whoever is brought in cannot adapt to this nonsense either and the same nucleus of 8 players is played to the same dull and boring end.

When we attack and get on the front foot playing with pace and verve we look great but we don't do it often enough or with any regularity. This is 2 managers now that are playing the same weird rhombus system and I don't know if it's the coaches or the Sporting director that have this plan but they need to change it as it hasn't worked in a season and a half now. If that means a clear out of all staff including director, coaching, scouting and analysis then fine do it but do it wholesale and get a bloody identity with it as the current plan has neither identity or results.

Some good points.

It does seem that the system at the moment is suited to the players Walter Zenga inherited which makes you think Rob Edwards has key influence as this pattern follows what was happening under Kenny Jackett.
Whats concerning is when Wolves utilise the new recruits in a front foot system they look capable of producing a higher quality performance. So why bin it?

Go with the new recruits Walter Zenga develop a more aesthetic system of play, just maybe results and performance will improve.

We're not a great club.
We used to be a long time ago. Now this season, we're just trying to be better than average.
And not quite managing it.

I think you will find our owners want rather more than better than average and it is their point of view that counts.

Some good points.

It does seem that the system at the moment is suited to the players Walter Zenga inherited which makes you think Rob Edwards has key influence as this pattern follows what was happening under Kenny Jackett.
Whats concerning is when Wolves utilise the new recruits in a front foot system they look capable of producing a higher quality performance. So why bin it?

Go with the new recruits Walter Zenga develop a more aesthetic system of play, just maybe results and performance will improve.

Last night was a missed opportunity to bring in fresh legs and give players like Price and Wallace an opportunity. Squad rotation is surely sensible for an early midweek game ?

Eh????

He rotated the fuck out of the squad weeks ago and it was a fucking nightmare. GET A SETTLED SIDE AND PLAY IT.

And people need to realise that Price is (correctly) miles down the pecking order. I don't get the obssession - it must be his nice beard or something.

Price is a miles better player than Coady or Edwards but for some reason his face doesn't fit. He'd make a good partnership with Saiss if we played 4-2-3-1 with Costa, Tex and Cav in behind Bod/ Dicko. I don't think he'd be any good in any other formation.

Price moves the ball quickly and effectively and is a much better player when playing with people that can actually play around him. Having said all of that I'd like to see Evans instead of Coady/ Edwards too but for some bizarre reason we get Edwards and Coady instead of the more talented midfielders we have (and I didn't include Prince in there as I think he should play further forwards and timeshare with Tex). Playing Evans would probably allow us to play 4-4-2 as well as he's good at getting forward in support from deeper midfield. Imagine having 2 players that could pass the ball in our midfield instead of 1 (Saiss).

Last night was a missed opportunity to bring in fresh legs and give players like Price and Wallace an opportunity. Squad rotation is surely sensible for an early midweek game ?

Walter Zenga seems to have moved away from a possession based game hence the non inclusion of the likes of Jack Price to be replaced by the power play of Coady, Edwards and Prince. Much like Kenny Jackett in his final year. Mobility seems key.

Shocking from Ikeme.

Not much better from Dom who could have done a lot more to try and stop the ball coming in and Danny who completely takes his eye off Baldock and lets him find the space.

Price is a miles better player than Coady or Edwards but for some reason his face doesn't fit. He'd make a good partnership with Saiss if we played 4-2-3-1 with Costa, Tex and Cav in behind Bod/ Dicko. I don't think he'd be any good in any other formation.

Price moves the ball quickly and effectively and is a much better player when playing with people that can actually play around him. Having said all of that I'd like to see Evans instead of Coady/ Edwards too but for some bizarre reason we get Edwards and Coady instead of the more talented midfielders we have (and I didn't include Prince in there as I think he should play further forwards and timeshare with Tex).

Agree with a lot of this.

I thought we had moved on from workhorse players like Dave Edwards and were moving towards a more creative style with someone like Tex pulling the strings. As frustrating as a player like Tex will be at times (look at someone like Herrera for United, as an example) - where not everything comes off - a player of this ilk is more likely to make something happen with a key pass or piece of skill at the business end, meaning we register points on the board.

I'm genuinely surprised we're still playing so many of the old guard - when it's mainly the new players (Costa, Tex, Bod, Cav) that have made stuff happen.

Play your best players in their best positions. It genuinely isn't rocket science!

We've tried Teixeira as one of the central midfielders and there haven't really been any signs it's going to work. He can play wide on either side (where there is tons of competition) or as a number 10 (which we don't play at the moment). I'm not surprised his gametime has been limited of late, he was shit against Norwich, he can't afford to put in that kind of performance.

I'm more disappointed that unless there's an injury we don't know about, Borthwick-Jackson has disappeared from the picture. Having Doherty and Prince as our left hand side is only marginally better than it being Doherty and Henry/Saville, I thought we'd left those days behind.

Also extremely worried about Iorfa's recent form. He was absolutely woeful v Villa and that's another goal down his side last night.

I like Price (though admit he's overrated by many people) but Coady is in the team on merit at the moment - he's having a decent season.

I wouldn't swap them on Saturday.

Shocking from Ikeme.

Not much better from Dom who could have done a lot more to try and stop the ball coming in and Danny who completely takes his eye off Baldock and lets him find the space.
It's Saiss I think who is tracking Baldock and stops. Batth expects him to continue picking him up.

It's Saiss I think who is tracking Baldock and stops. Batth expects him to continue picking him up.

Danny tags Baldock as the ball is played wide then drifts away from him and leaves the space. Saiss maybe could have done more to help him, but ultimately Batth has let him go and looks oblivious to the threat.

Back