• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 1 v Wolves 0 a disappointing visit to the south coast verdict thread

Disappointing first away result, but the experience was totally worth it.

Everyone has covered the analysis and I agree with most points.

Thanks darlo for getting us the ticket!

Agree IFs are playing too wide at the moment. Means we have no bodies central, making it very hard to actually score a goal, despite a lot of pressure.

Costa's understanding with Doherty was helping Matt find so much space today, so wouldn't say he was terrible today - though his crossing was pish, that one into an already airborne Bruno was particuarly bad.

Certainly didn't deserve to lose though. One nailed on pen not given.

Other than his finishing (he is only a wing back) I thought Doherty was excellent tbh, our main attacking threat for much of the game.

A very frustrating day and I’ve no battery left. Nice walk on the beach beforehand though!

Okay, I’ll play.... The costa love in is painful to read. He was poor in the first half and even worse in the second. His end product is non existent, as shown by zero assists and zero goals, and there was a point today where he even managed to hit Bruno with a cross that he hit after Bruno had jumped in the air...

The inside forwards are our biggest issue this season - Helder has played all our games and contributed absolutely nothing at the end of the field he’s employed for - yet you focus on the guy who has delivered because you spent so much of pre season stating how shit he is, and you don’t feel you can backtrack on your comments, it’s sad.

Fwiw, I don’t think Adama was amazing today, I think he was ok, nothing more - but to focus on him and ignore Helder (given Jota has been getting attention) seems pre determined...

Costa love-in? Where's that then? He hasn't hit the heights of last season as Jota hasn't.

The rest of your post did make me laugh though.

Good performance, the results will come

It's not like we're Fulham getting smashed every week

Only a bit of tinkering of the front 3 is required rather than wholesale changes. We aren't far away from being the next level up - let's also remember this is our first season after being promoted.

It won't happen, but would 4231 / 4123 solve some of our problems? You wouldn't get overrun in midfield like last week nor leave the centre forward isolated like this? Coady and Doherty miss out, which is unfortunate, but if it's for the better of the team then so be it.

---------------Patricio-------------
Jonny Bennett Boly Vinagre
----------Neves Moutinho-------
--------Costa-----Cav-----Jota
--------------Jimenez----------

---------------Patricio------------
-------------Dendoncker--------
--------Cav-----Jimenez----Jota
(Costa or Troare if you see fit)

To be perfectly honest, I don't think we want Bennett playing in a back four any more than we'd want Coady in one.

Even Boly's tendency to lose runners on second balls would be exacerbated by that. If we want to talk about changing shape, that's all well and good hypothetically, but IMO anything that moves away from a back three/five is a non-starter with our CBs.

The Adama love-in is painful to read. He wasn't very good after 20 minutes today and was rightfully hooked. His movement off the ball is atrocious whereas Costa's is very good even if his end product is lacking at the moment.

Yet in the matchday thread you suggested you wouldn’t be surprised if Costa got “hooked at half time”.

Traore and Costa were just as bad as each other and Jota wasn’t much better when he came on, bar one nice run in to the box (followed by a weak shot).

Nuno has got to get a combination of our front three scoring sooner rather than later or it’s going to be a long, hard drag through to January.

It won't happen, but would 4231 / 4123 solve some of our problems? You wouldn't get overrun in midfield like last week nor leave the centre forward isolated like this? Coady and Doherty miss out, which is unfortunate, but if it's for the better of the team then so be it.

---------------Patricio-------------
--------Costa-----Cav-----Jota
--------------Jimenez----------

---------------Patricio------------
-------------Dendoncker--------
--------Cav-----Jimenez----Jota
(Costa or Troare if you see fit)

In short no.
Vinagre for Jonny today would have been my sub. 3 4 3 works with the players we have. Everything is ok except our finishing and that could well come. Not panicking yet

Yet in the matchday thread you suggested you wouldn’t be surprised if Costa got “hooked at half time”.

Traore and Costa were just as bad as each other and Jota wasn’t much better when he came on, bar one nice run in to the box (followed by a weak shot).

Nuno has got to get a combination of our front three scoring sooner rather than later or it’s going to be a long, hard drag through to January.

I wouldn't have been surprised and I did say in the matchthread that he could've been kept on because of his movement. Not like you to be selective Jinks.

At least you've moved on from Jota being rancid.

I don't think any of the 4 IFs played well today, but neither did any stick out as particularly bad. Costa is probably the most frustrating, he looks great until he has to play a telling pass or cross, then it's just rubbish.

You’d think that if none of the forward players are firing by January we’ll be getting the chequebook out. We’ll always be well organised and decent defensively but we’ll have more days like today if we don’t start creating a bit more and putting the ball in the net.

I think we were more clinical last year and more incisive. A number of times when we could go outside and cross we stop and check allowing other defenders to get back. Not just today but in several games. Important to get some points from spurs and arsenal now which is an unwanted pressure.

Would it be worth giving Ashley seal or Ennis from the U23 a shot,they can't do much worse than who's playing now

Would it be worth giving Ashley seal or Ennis from the U23 a shot,they can't do much worse than who's playing now

In place of who? Not Raul. Maybe BAS on the bench.

Yea why not raul,give the young ones a go for 45 mins,tell em to just enjoy themselves,like I say they can't do a worse job,might even do a better job,

Saw it live just seen the highlights. How the fuck have we lost that. Like Leicester game we will play worse and get points

Back