• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 1 v Wolves 0 a disappointing visit to the south coast verdict thread

My theory is this: at half time in the West Ham game - and we've kept it this way ever since - we noticeably changed our right hand side so that now Doherty was frequently popping up in the inside forward position and Costa was the one staying wider (it should of course be the other way round). We did this because Doherty spent a large portion of the first three and a half games lamping crosses miles over everyone and wasting good positions - no shock there as we know he can't cross from those areas. So we've fixed that problem but inadvertently created another - Doherty is now the one picking the ball up in and around the box and being asked to get a shot off. And as I said in my report, he isn't in the team for his lethal finishing.

I think Costa scores both of those chances yesterday, given the opportunity. Especially the first. But then we don't want to go back to what we had right at the start of the season, because we ended up with a black hole of possession down there.

My theory is this: at half time in the West Ham game - and we've kept it this way ever since - we noticeably changed our right hand side so that now Doherty was frequently popping up in the inside forward position and Costa was the one staying wider (it should of course be the other way round). We did this because Doherty spent a large portion of the first three and a half games lamping crosses miles over everyone and wasting good positions - no shock there as we know he can't cross from those areas. So we've fixed that problem but inadvertently created another - Doherty is now the one picking the ball up in and around the box and being asked to get a shot off. And as I said in my report, he isn't in the team for his lethal finishing.

I think Costa scores both of those chances yesterday, given the opportunity. Especially the first. But then we don't want to go back to what we had right at the start of the season, because we ended up with a black hole of possession down there.

The same Helder Costa who ballooned it over from 10 yards last week v Watford with his just as presentable chance? Doherty has more goals that Jota and Costa Combined. https://www.premierleague.com/players/5064/Hélder-Costa/stats -12 Shots 2 on tagrget 0 goals
Diogo Jota 13 shots 3 on target 0 goals https://www.premierleague.com/players/19758/Diogo-Jota/stats

Doherty has 15 shots 2 assist and 1 goal.

I would say it doesnt seem to matter who is getting the shots off none of them are on target.

Come on now Cyber, don't be ridiculous (for a start it wasn't even an easy chance for Costa last week whereas Doherty was clean through, just the keeper to beat. And I don't recall Costa missing any open goals this season, like Doherty did at Leicester). Who do you think is the better finisher, Helder Costa or Matt Doherty? Really? I suspect Helder might just about end up with more career goals out of the two. If you're going to be silly about it Doherty has 14 goals in 216 games for Wolves, it's 18 in 89 for Costa but I can't believe I even need to make this argument.

Although it is instructive that Doherty has had more shots than either Costa or Jota, it backs up my point about his position.

Come on now Cyber, don't be ridiculous (for a start it wasn't even an easy chance for Costa last week whereas Doherty was clean through, just the keeper to beat. And I don't recall Costa missing any open goals this season, like Doherty did at Leicester). Who do you think is the better finisher, Helder Costa or Matt Doherty? Really? I suspect Helder might just about end up with more career goals out of the two.

Although it is instructive that Doherty has had more shots than either Costa or Jota, it backs up my point about his position.

Agreed! But your point was that Costa scores. My point is that he is up there at the moment in the cant hit a cows arse with a banjo so even if he is through I dont think he is mentally as sharp as he was last year and nor is Jota. Doherty goals are a bonus, hell an accurate cross from Doherty is a bonus but its ridiculous that he has scored more than our two most potent goalacorers last season. They are both clearly not on it at the moment. I dont think I was picking an argument just pointing out that there are several reasons for the problem and the main one is those who are paid to score are not even if they get in the position.

Interesting stat is Traore. 7 shots , 6 on target 1 goal. https://www.premierleague.com/players/4979/Adama-Traoré/stats?co=1&se=210

So more on target than Jota, Costa and Doherty combined!

Helders finishing in his first season with us was absolutely fantastic, but it’s not got anywhere near that since his injury. If he could get back to that form he’d be a huge asset.

I dont think I was picking an argument just pointing out that there are several reasons for the problem and the main one is those who are paid to score are not even if they get in the position.

But Helder isn't getting in those positions, he's being asked to stay a lot wider than he normally does because depending on your point of view:

a) That works better for the team at the moment
b) He's having to cover for someone else's deficiencies, to the detriment of his own output

Normally you would expect him to be making that bit of link play with Jimenez yesterday and for it to be him clean through on goal, middle of the box, 12 yards or so out, on his left foot. And yes, personally I do think he would score, if he'd missed loads of similar chances then maybe you might doubt him.

Tbf we could equally have asked Doherty to come inside more often because Costa was fairly abysmal in those first three games. He's been better with Doc "underlapping" him.

Or we just put Otto RWB who I'm sure can cross better and revert the movement. At the same time bringing in Vinny who is excellent crossing with both feet.

It's not an agenda against Doc from me but I don't believe he can fulfil the role being currently asked of him.

People are seeing him popping up in good positions and think "great movment" but in reality it's the movement of Costa and Jimenez that creates the space for him. Not that it's a bad thing he takes that space but the end result is fuck all just as it was with his crossing.

Now go back to the rest of his game Saturday how many times did he miscontrol the ball or miss a simple pass.

He has had some very good games this season but let's call a spade a spade please.

Or we just put Otto RWB who I'm sure can cross better and revert the movement. At the same time bringing in Vinny who is excellent crossing with both feet.

It's not an agenda against Doc from me but I don't believe he can fulfil the role being currently asked of him.

People are seeing him popping up in good positions and think "great movment" but in reality it's the movement of Costa and Jimenez that creates the space for him. Not that it's a bad thing he takes that space but the end result is fuck all just as it was with his crossing.

Now go back to the rest of his game Saturday how many times did he miscontrol the ball or miss a simple pass.

He has had some very good games this season but let's call a spade a spade please.
Its not going to happen, but this is exactly what i would do. Plus If Nuno wants to start Traore having someone behind him who actually defend will help too.

Its not going to happen, but this is exactly what i would do. Plus If Nuno wants to start Traore having someone behind him who actually defend will help too.
I will be amazed if Traore starts against spurs, I think Jota will come back in for his defensive capabilities & workrate. Personally I would have Cav in there but I don't see that happening either.

I will be amazed if Traore starts against spurs, I think Jota will come back in for his defensive capabilities & workrate. Personally I would have Cav in there but I don't see that happening either.

I think we will see Cav start, possibly with Jota.

A good day out with Daughter #2. Thanks to MobNet for the tickets.

I'll leave the serious analysis to others, but I do think some of the judgements have been a bit harsh, albeit mostly in the immediate aftermath. That was not a poor performance. We really are a very good side to watch and for someone who only gets to games very rarely, it's a pleasure to finally watch a Wolves side who are actually competent and confident on the ball. The Brighton fans we spoke to afterwards generally thought they'd been outplayed and were lucky to get anything out of it. Of course it's easy to be generous when you've won.

Obviously there are improvements needed, but what newly promoted side doesn't need to improve to progress?

I'll leave the serious analysis to others
Me too.

It was my first visit to Brighton and to the Amex and I enjoyed the day (apart from the result)

Yes, it's an out of town stadium, but we fell lucky with the trains from Brighton to Falmer and got in and out easily. The ground lives up to it's "Community Stadium" name with everyone very friendly and polite. No bother or tension what's so ever and the only time I saw the police running I think had something to do with the poor chap that passed away.

Brighton itself seemed very twee, plenty of people in the pubs worrying if their beers were vegan friendly.

Me too.

It was my first visit to Brighton and to the Amex and I enjoyed the day (apart from the result)

Yes, it's an out of town stadium, but we fell lucky with the trains from Brighton to Falmer and got in and out easily. The ground lives up to it's "Community Stadium" name with everyone very friendly and polite. No bother or tension what's so ever and the only time I saw the police running I think had something to do with the poor chap that passed away.

Brighton itself seemed very twee, plenty of people in the pubs worrying if their beers were vegan friendly.

Brighton's a fantastic place. To steal a quote - "always looks like it's helping the police with their enquiries". Selfishly really hoping my daughter goes to uni there.

And agree on the friendliness at the ground - when we got there we asked a steward where the P&R bus left from and he said the queue would be massive so we should hang around and have a beer inside and have a wander around the other bits of the stadium. The fans were pretty quiet in the ground but friendly enough outside.

I love Brighton too. I got my wolves badge tattoo done there. My sister in law lives close so we are often visitors.

We had a few beers in Lewes before the game, which is a beautiful little town.

Back