• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Brighton 6-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Luckily couldn't find a stream early on and gave up trying after 15 minutes, which seems to be about 15 minutes longer than the players. As others have said if it makes Lop realise a few of them are really not up to the job all won't be lost.

Sa is just a walking fuck up. I think part of the audible anxiety when we play out from the back is the 'gerrit forward' lot but it's also partly people who have zero faith in Sa who it feels is never far from playing himself or his defenders into trouble.
Yep, there's no way this can NOT be a priority in the summer. Alright, his two fuck ups today - which are both absolutely appalling - didn't materially cost us as we were 3-0 and 5-0 down at the time. But he has so, so, so many, all the time, and he's never going to learn or improve.

Having a shit keeper is such a drain. How can you ever have any confidence when you know there's a disaster lurking round the corner out of nowhere?

We've had way worse goalkeepers in my time but I don't think we've ever had one that makes me fume as much as José Sa does on a regular basis.

It will say more about the players really.

Checked out today after Tuesday. If they don't respond it probably just means a slightly bigger building job in the summer
Hope you're right; if things go that badly in consecutive games I think the manager has to shoulder a large portion of the blame tbh.

I remember watching Kenedy put in one of the all time spineless individual performances for Newcastle against Cardiff and speaking about it on here with one or two others, Nunes today is right down there. He wasn't helped been shunted into about four different positions but that doesn't outweigh what we saw with him today.

Sa is just a walking fuck up. I think part of the audible anxiety when we play out from the back is the 'gerrit forward' lot but it's also partly people who have zero faith in Sa who it feels is never far from playing himself or his defenders into trouble.

For a long time there's been a mentality issue with this squad, losing it at poor calls etc. Somedo encapsulated that today Targett-ing his way out. When you couple that with our away form pre and post Lop's appointment it's even more damning. Two away wins coming against Southampton who were managed by somebody at least on the level of Lage, and for the most part dead and buried and Everton.

Before Tuesday I'd happily not see the vast majority of this squad again, today necessitates them being broken up.
Not picking on you specifically just the general overhaul comment. We've spent something like £185m in the last year once Cunha is completed, north of £100m net. I can't imagine they'll be much left in the pot that isn't self generated. What we spent it on is probably for another thread

He's done brilliantly. But equally you can't compare what he took over - Potter was on the England/Spurs/Chelsea radar for a reason - to what Lopetegui took over.
Maybe the best recruitment in the Prem (maybe even the world?) over the last few years, too. Sure, had some misses, but their hits are fucking hits.

Not picking on you specifically just the general overhaul comment. We've spent something like £185m in the last year once Cunha is completed. I can't imagine they'll be much left in the pot that isn't self generated. What we spent it on is probably for another thread
We also had three straight years of basically £0 net spend, the headroom is there.

We all think they're mostly crap but you'd generate plenty cumulatively from selling Sa, Kilman, Collins (we probably won't do this because it'd be a loss and would mess with book value), Jonny, Ait-Nouri, Nunes (yes it's early, but he is too shit too often and doesn't even play where we signed him to play), Neves (don't want him to go but the messaging is he will), Podence and Hwang, then you lose Moutinho (very sad, but it's time now), Adama, Raul (probably) and Costa off the wage bill.

Finances are the least of my concerns.

Question, WTF happened when Neto Rounded the keeper.

I was on air (Radio) so saw him go round the keeper, next thing I know lrefs pulled game back

"We are sorry a lot for our fans. Today we had a very bad day in all the situations. We suffered very early, one goal, two goals. When you have this kind of day the responsibility is the coach.

"Tomorrow we have to go forward with the best face because we are in the middle of the battle and we have to be ready for the next war.

"We have worked very hard this season and for today for a lot of reasons we have lost 6-0 and when you lose like that you have to be able to recover your energy. We had big mistakes. The responsibility is the coach's.

"We have to be ready for the next fight because we are better than we showed today.

"We have to remember four months ago we were in the bottom but at least now we have hope. Together we have to push a lot in the next match."

At least he is manning up and not blaming the defeat on stuff like, the taxi didn't turn up, his old friend came in from out of town, earthquake, flood etc like the previous bloke...

Question, WTF happened when Neto Rounded the keeper.

I was on air (Radio) so saw him go round the keeper, next thing I know lrefs pulled game back
Ref stopped because he said Costa had fouled their defender off the ball. VAR did a red card check and it turned out it was fuck all.

Yep, there's no way this can NOT be a priority in the summer. Alright, his two fuck ups today - which are both absolutely appalling - didn't materially cost us as we were 3-0 and 5-0 down at the time. But he has so, so, so many, all the time, and he's never going to learn or improve.

Having a shit keeper is such a drain. How can you ever have any confidence when you know there's a disaster lurking round the corner out of nowhere?

We've had way worse goalkeepers in my time but I don't think we've ever had one that makes me fume as much as José Sa does on a regular basis.

His footballing intelligence comes across as similar to that of Traore. He might get a move on the basis of being a fairly good shot stopper but once the YouTube reel runs out you start seeing everything wrong with the player, then you can't see anything else and the occasional good game doesn't make up for the average.

This is a team that have beaten every team in the league in the last few years, there's no such thing as a game where losing 3-0 is par, particularly against a team that rested their best three players, and against who's wage bill and transfer spend we absolutely fucking dwarf.

Yes, they're better than us, but to be embarrassed to the point that 6-0 genuinely flatters us is nothing less than disgusting
You are absolutely right, the problem we have is irrespective of our financial clout as a club, on and off the pitch we are a million miles away from them at the moment

As you say though putting in that kind of performance is embarrassing and totally unacceptable, we fucked up today big style. However, I’m no expert, but I could see this kind of result after the games in the last week

This was a one off 1 out of 10 performance and shouldn’t be used as a benchmark of our season or the remaining few games

It’ll be how we respond next week that will be important due to who we are playing and not what we are playing for

Honestly thought after Tuesday we might have gone close although i always thought we’d probably lose.
Ultimate, ‘on the beach’ performance, don’t think Lopetegui’s pre match
‘Currently one of the best teams in the world’, helped though.

Sa and Podence can both go back to Greece, it's about their level. I'm sure Marinakis can conjure some money for them out of somewhere..

Ref stopped because he said Costa had fouled their defender off the ball. VAR did a red card check and it turned out it was fuck all.
Surely he should have let play continue then let Var chec
It's where Var is shit with Football.
In Rugby it's a Goal, Ref the signals soft No Goal, var checks and says actually fuck.all happened it's a goal.

That said it was horrendous

We also had three straight years of basically £0 net spend, the headroom is there.

We all think they're mostly crap but you'd generate plenty cumulatively from selling Sa, Kilman, Collins (we probably won't do this because it'd be a loss and would mess with book value), Jonny, Ait-Nouri, Nunes (yes it's early, but he is too shit too often and doesn't even play where we signed him to play), Neves (don't want him to go but the messaging is he will), Podence and Hwang, then you lose Moutinho (very sad, but it's time now), Adama, Raul (probably) and Costa off the wage bill.

There's FFP and then there's real money. Of your list we'd make a loss on Nunes so won't do it, Podence and Sa would go for single figures, nobody is giving anything other than a token amount for Jonny, RAN we'll lose 50% of any profit as it won't be worth the buy out. Neves depends on if we can find a fit, but that's the one for me that can generate something worthwhile. I just don't see a sizeable net spend this year. That's not the be all and end all, but limits the amount of overall we can make incoming wise unless we sign some diamonds

There's FFP and then there's real money. Of your list we'd make a loss on Nunes so won't do it, Podence and Sa would go for single figures, nobody is giving anything other than a token amount for Jonny, RAN we'll lose 50% of any profit as it won't be worth the buy out. Neves depends on if we can find a fit, but that's the one for me that can generate something worthwhile. I just don't see a sizeable net spend this year. That's not the be all and end all, but limits the amount of overall we can make incoming wise unless we sign some diamonds
Anyone we sign after 31 May 2023 doesn't even get assessed for FFP until Feb/Mar 2025, it's not an issue.

Rolling three year FFP has us at -£65m with quite a bit of that still written off due to Covid for that purpose, we aren't even close to being in trouble on that front.

Well for starters hopefully we don’t sign Mendes players or from Mendes clubs. Might make our money go a little further in future. Also might be a help if the player wants to be here and might have done some actual scouting to see if they fit the team.

Last edited:

Add Semedo to that. I reckon that will give us at least £130m transfer feesand the over in the region of £700k per week worth of wage spend. Neves excluded (and maybe RAN as I'm still a little shortsighted by his potential) I'd happily never see the others kick a ball again, a position that long predates today

Back