• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bring it on....

My son is 19 and he's not remotely bothered. Doesn't see them as rivals. Villa are the team he wants to beat. Be interesting to know if that's the case with the younger fans more generally.

Probably is. We haven't played them regularly since the late 90s/early 00s. Since 2002 we've largely not been in the same division.

Whereas we've played Villa every season bar one since 2016. Villa obviously way more visible on TV and in the media.

My son is 19 and he's not remotely bothered. Doesn't see them as rivals. Villa are the team he wants to beat. Be interesting to know if that's the case with the younger fans more generally.
I'd imagine it's location driven. I've always hated Villa more than Albion, but that's from growing up in what was largely a Brummie overspill area. I don't like them, but more from a tribal Wolves perspective than anything. If you live in Dudley I'd imagine you have a different perspective

My 20 year old was the same, until I told him to watch matches from the 80/90s on YouTube. Their chants about Billy Wright's death in particular stood out.

Fuck mind the gap, it was a fleeting manufactured rivalry due to the lack of local derbies.

My 20 year old was the same, until I told him to watch matches from the 80/90s on YouTube. Their chants about Billy Wright's death in particular stood out.

Fuck mind the gap, it was a fleeting manufactured rivalry due to the lack of local derbies.
Never a rivalry, Until we were going up and there owner started shit.

I don't care about Villa, never have.

Albion on the other hand, I hate with a passion

1704793775848.png

Fingers crossed its Pie n Pints for Albion fans and the criteria for a darkest hour has been met. Bring on Round 5....

I have to admit in the late 60s/70s/early 80s the BCD never appeared to be such a big deal - it never was for me.

In the early 70s Wolves were by far the better team and had the edge in the games but by the late 70s West Brom had a very good team and had the better of the results.

Maybe it became more poisonous in the 80s ? I don't know as I had left the UK in '82. In fact one of my best mates in Auckland in the 80s was a West Brom fan and we never had any issues between ourselves whenever the 2 teams played.

We didn't play them from April 84-Oct 89, which had something to do with it. For that game there was an enormous police presence, helicopters the works so was treated like a high profile game. Added to that there was the whole Bull backstory which he and the fans played on that ramped it up more. Plus from Albion's perspective they weren't really playing Villa who some of their catchment area would see as their derby so more focus on the Wolves rivalry. Pretty much stayed like that since.

Thanks for that Tony Towner.

Obviously in the mid 80s Wolves were going through their darkest period not that I had much knowledge of it as info. on the lower leagues was non-existent in NZ (pre internet as well).

The Derby is fully dependent as said where you live, coming from a family whose roots are in the parkfields, Sedgley, Hurst Hill area the game has always been a big deal.
Not do much for myself I dread England v Scotland more as I lived in Scotland for over 4 years and a lot of my friends are Scottish and do get no end of stick.

I’ve had some terrible days there, including the 3-2 with that Donovan goal. Went once when they were on a massive losing streak and then drew the game with us, miserable game and I think they missed a penalty, what year was that?

When I started supporting Wolves late 60s, in the Dudley/B Hill area it always seemed about 50/50 Wolves and Albion supporters, it was a big thing but more bantery than nasty from my memories.

I’ve had some terrible days there, including the 3-2 with that Donovan goal. Went once when they were on a massive losing streak and then drew the game with us, miserable game and I think they missed a penalty, what year was that?
Darren Bradley?

Edit: Donovan scored in that game too.

Back