• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bring it on....

Never knew my grand parents so you could be right, however my brother and sister sound exactly the same as my mom and dad did.
Eddie on WM has a similar accent/dialect but he's knocking on 80 so part of the older crowd

I do driving home from the match, more for the manager interview than Tonka's opinion or Mel Eves' err, err, err

Eddie on WM has a similar accent/dialect but he's knocking on 80 so part of the older crowd
Maybe a contributory factor to the decline in certain local accents is the change in the traditional local industrial landscape of the region? People lived and worked within a fairly short radius of the workplace hub?

Maybe a contributory factor to the decline in certain local accents is the change in the traditional local industrial landscape of the region? People lived and worked within a fairly short radius of the workplace hub?
Yes this is a valid point

IMO social media has also homogenized a lot of slang terms/dialect variations. Especially in the Instagram/TikTok era.

IMO social media has also homogenized a lot of slang terms/dialect variations. Especially in the Instagram/TikTok era.
Yeah, along with better access to other media and entertainment outlets.

Yes this is a valid point
As some of you already know, I was bought up in North Staffordshire and there has been a massive dilution of the Potteries dialect in the last 40 years or so. Again the variations between local accents were pronounced. For example mar owd mon could tell where somebody came from in SoT by their accent.

As some of you already know, I was bought up in North Staffordshire and there has been a massive dilution of the Potteries dialect in the last 40 years or so. Again the variations between local accents were pronounced. For example mar owd mon could tell where somebody came from in SoT by their accent.
Bet you know some Guernsey Patois too!

My Dad was from Upper Gornal, my Nan would always say ‘werriting’ rather than worrying, my Grandad would refer to something as ‘rattling like a bibble in a con’ and, of course, he would always talk about ‘ putting the pig on the wall to watch the band go by’.

My Dad was from Upper Gornal, my Nan would always say ‘werriting’ rather than worrying, my Grandad would refer to something as ‘rattling like a bibble in a con’ and, of course, he would always talk about ‘ putting the pig on the wall to watch the band go by’.
Werrit is also a N Staffs verb as in "Dunner werrit abite it".

Shit yup, don't type when doing something else.
I was trying to sort shit out and actually just typed 1st few letters
Well of course that makes it totally acceptable. As the first letter of difference between the countries is the second and the first word any auto correct will offer when you type AN is and rather than Angola I’m struggling with your defence a bit. Just admit you got the country wrong.

Last edited:
Back