• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley 1 - Wolves 1 a much better performance verdict thread

Poor Jack Price looks like he's just stubbed his toe.

Price was going mental. He was bloody heroic today, I would've loved for his shot in the 2nd half to go in.

Price in the side, much better performance, come on KJ you must see that.

Jack Price MOTM.

Much better performance, really pleased with them today. Only one word to describe Doherty's performance today; Elegant. :icon_lol:

Coady, Saville & Helan not great but no reason to complain. Zyro tried hard and had some good touches/passes but he's permanently offside. Doesn't know the position.

I wonder if this fabled Euro's squad spot is really motivating him to play well. If so, you've got to question KJ's man-motivational skills as Doc has been shocking up until recent weeks.

Helan playing in front of him seems to have done the trick for Doherty.

A busy old day for me, but I am pleased that we played well and got the very least we deserved for our efforts.

Doherty was playing well before Helan signed, it's the switch to LB and a run of games that has got him playing well. I thought Helan was pretty poor today again. Offers nothing going forward. The only way he can beat a man is to tackle through him and he dawdled in dangerous areas, twice he could've played a Wolves player in Behind Burnley but hesitated and lost the ball.

Doherty was playing well before Helan signed, it's the switch to LB and a run of games that has got him playing well. I thought Helan was pretty poor today again. Offers nothing going forward. The only way he can beat a man is to tackle through him and he dawdled in dangerous areas, twice he could've played a Wolves player in Behind Burnley but hesitated and lost the ball.

Got to disagree that he was playing well pre-Derby, he was atrocious vs Reading, Brighton, Cardiff and Preston at left back. Not much better than atrocious vs QPR and Bolton.

Got to disagree that he was playing well pre-Derby, he was atrocious vs Reading, Brighton, Cardiff and Preston at left back. Not much better than atrocious vs QPR and Bolton.

But the turnaround has been the best comeback since Lazarus. He could win pots if he keeps this up for the last games his current form is that good. And I was not a fan. On his recent form I get why he has been handed his deal. Currently him and Price, with Graham are my bright spots for 2016.

Atrocious but definitely better than he had been on the right side, plus there were some very good performances vs Fulham, Huddersfield, Charlton etc mixed in there. I'm not having for a second that Doherty's form is down to Helan, he's just playing well, it's as simple as that. In fact most of Doherty's best play yesterday came when Wallace or Sigurdarson were in front of him, not Helan.

If anyone's had an impact on Doherty it's been the return of Kortney Hause (or rather the absence of Ebanks-Landell).

I was thinking that about Doherty. At right back him and Batth are terrible for each other. Batth is noticeably more comfortable with Iorfa outside of him. and Doherty looks more at ease with Hause inside him. Equally, he isn't as wildly out of position at left back as he tends to be on the right and seems to have developed his understanding of the role far better too now. I hope he can continue his good form as the back four suddenly looks far, far better.

My prediction is that when Williamson returns he will drop Iorfa, play Doherty right and Hause left back.

he was atrocious vs Reading - didn't see
Brighton - he wasn't
Cardiff - he wasn't, Batth was
Preston - didn't see
Not much better than atrocious vs QPR - he was fine
Bolton - he was fine
Plus
Charlton - man of the match
Fulham scored a screamer

I think at the moment he is having a purple patch of form and against Blues you could see it had been sussed that he's only got one foot so relatively easy to defence against, but since he's come in at left back on the whole he's been OK to decent.
He wasn't as shit as you make our pre Derby neither is he the new Roberto Carlos that Spiers seems to think he is now.
My guess is he'll average out as an adequate left back in a mid table Championship side. Now I don't want us to be that, but I'm not convinced that view is shared by those running the club or at least they don't have the nous to stop us being one and think we'll start next year with him as first choice left back.

A little bit of vindication perhaps for Kenny Jackett when his preferred centre back partnership are on the field. Suddenly there is a solid base to build from and light appears at the end of the tunnel. Danny Batth looks a player again alongside Kortney Hause.

A little bit of vindication perhaps for Kenny Jackett when his preferred centre back partnership are on the field. Suddenly there is a solid base to build from and light appears at the end of the tunnel. Danny Batth looks a player again alongside Kortney Hause.
a very tiny little bit of vindication. Kenny has messed about with players position/selection all season. Didnt see the game was helping a friend move house but heard 1st half commentry and Hause was sounding distinctly shakey.
Very pleased we won a point away there. But please Kenny lets attack teams at molineux. Your boring football is costing us in season ticket renewals. Thats dads not taking kids who are our future.

a very tiny little bit of vindication. Kenny has messed about with players position/selection all season. Didnt see the game was helping a friend move house but heard 1st half commentry and Hause was sounding distinctly shakey.
Very pleased we won a point away there. But please Kenny lets attack teams at molineux. Your boring football is costing us in season ticket renewals. Thats dads not taking kids who are our future.

If Kenny feels more confident with his central defence it might change his thinking a little and open up the possibilities to a more attacking game plan. I hope he tries Michal Zyro in the ten role behind Joe Mason as an example.

I was almost DW anti where it came to Doherty, but credit where its due, maybe he has finally matured into a decent Champ fullback. You can say it was just a one off for the first couple of games where he was decent but it must be what? about 6 games on the bounce that he has been at least competent and in a number of them very good. Whether he can maintain it, who knows, but he should hold the shirt until at least the end of the season now and if he maintains anything like this form, should be started next season..........jeez, never though I'd be saying that

Doherty has improved of late and does seem to have learned a bit how to stop crosses coming in from his side - certainly he been less of a liability on the left than he was the other side

Don't think he will ever be more than an average full back - in attack on the left side everyone knows that he will need to cut in to use his right foot which will negate a lot of his possibilities in that area

Back