• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chasing Europe...........

Well I've had two or three goes and still don't understand what it is you want, so I'll leave it.

Different forms of interest I suppose. I pulled specifically for Málaga when they had their little flash in the pan, and that was really fun while it lasted.

Equally, watching Arsenal against Madrid would also be a great spectacle, even if I couldn’t possibly care less who wins.

Well I've had two or three goes and still don't understand what it is you want, so I'll leave it.
And I've had a good couple of goes at explaining too.

But once more.

I think the final 6 or 7 of these seasons final 8 was predictable at the start of the tournament.

I find that boring.

Funnily enough the 2014 last 8 was too...6 of the 8 from this year..

1000042736.jpg

I hated watching Liverpool v Chelsea over and over again in the 00s, I hate it if/when the 3 predicted sides go down from the Prem, and I hate it when the same 4 sides get into the CL too, it's just boring. In my opinion.

Last edited:
Not wanting to put words into EPs mouth, but my interpretation isn't that he wants a random shite team in the quarters to get spanked, but for the quality gap in the tournament to be a bit closer so that it's not so predictable. Maybe it's my memory playing tricks on me or I'm going all boomery with false nostalgia, but I get it. Feels like we're never going to see the likes of Porto/Red Star/Lyon/Ajax-y type clubs getting to the semis *and* looking good value for it like we used to get, or at least I think we used to get.

This is an old graphic, but basically, this:

1710509052673.png
Obvs I can't be arsed to continue that work but it's pretty telling that 7/8 of the semi-finalists from 11-16 make up this year's quarters

Ah for the days when Schalke made the semi-finals.

I don't think what you're suggesting ever happened as regularly as you think. Just the identity of the teams changed. Valencia used to get really far most years and now they don't, was it "boring" when they did? Was it boring when Sevilla kept winning the Europa League or is that different somehow?

Barcelona last made a QF in 2020 (and got beaten 8-2 by Bayern) and Arsenal's last knockout CL win before this week was in 2010, you can't be lumping them in as the usual suspects any more, surely.

We are hoping for Cav to knock Villa out, although he's not got off the bench since November. Looks like he spent 3 months out injured

Well it did, as per the table above.
This didn't:

Feels like we're never going to see the likes of Porto/Red Star/Lyon/Ajax-y type clubs getting to the semis *and* looking good value for it like we used to get, or at least I think we used to get.

Even leaving aside the fact that when say, Lyon did get far, they were hugely bankrolled by their owner and were winning Ligue Un at a canter every year, like PSG now.

Those five year perdiods are very telling.

Different forms of interest I suppose. I pulled specifically for Málaga when they had their little flash in the pan, and that was really fun while it lasted.

Equally, watching Arsenal against Madrid would also be a great spectacle, even if I couldn’t possibly care less who wins.
Still get the 6th highest attendance in Spain, as a non League team.

They are a massive club, and hopefully the take over deal when all the shit with the Sheikh has blown over.

Rumour has it PSG owners are interested, there are a few parties interested

Reactions: b3h
Still get the 6th highest attendance in Spain, as a non League team.

They are a massive club, and hopefully the take over deal when all the shit with the Sheikh has blown over.

Rumour has it PSG owners are interested, there are a few parties interested
Soft spot for Malaga as it was the scene of my first La Liga games. Also a big fan of the Rosaleda, great little stadium. However, and I’m going out there and typing this without checking any stats, they must be a long way off the 6th highest av attendance in Spain right now. Madrid, Atleti, Betis, Barca, Athletic, Valencia, Sevilla, Sociedad, Osasuna and Villarreal off the top of my head. Oviedo and Sporting likely pull more in the second division.

Soft spot for Malaga as it was the scene of my first La Liga games. Also a big fan of the Rosaleda, great little stadium. However, and I’m going out there and typing this without checking any stats, they must be a long way off the 6th highest av attendance in Spain right now. Madrid, Atleti, Betis, Barca, Athletic, Valencia, Sevilla, Sociedad, Osasuna and Villarreal off the top of my head. Oviedo and Sporting likely pull more in the second division.
This is from 6 weeks ago when they were 10th. Their capacity couldn't get them higher than 9th.

Back