• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Danny Batth

From all accounts Danny did OK tonight

From what I saw Danny did indeed do ok. That said, about 90% of his passes were sideways - left or right, very few passes forwards to release players... Can't remember a single forward pass over 5-10 yards. He'll be fine once he gets a bit of confidence and starts to relax instead of playing it safe and 'don't fuck it up' kind of play.

From what I saw Danny did indeed do ok. That said, about 90% of his passes were sideways - left or right, very few passes forwards to release players... Can't remember a single forward pass over 5-10 yards. He'll be fine once he gets a bit of confidence and starts to relax instead of playing it safe and 'don't fuck it up' kind of play.

His job is to defend, not to be a play maker. It was clear his instructions when he had the ball to get it to the full back or O'Hara

Baath did well last night, handled everything with composure and wasn't culpable for either of the goals.
He was getting applause for most things he did from the fans.

For me, it was a lot better than just ok. Centre-half remains one of the hardest positions in a football team, and Batth put in an excellent and mature performance for a debut. He was up against possibly the best strike partnership in the division currently, and gave them very little. In particular, his positional play was sophisticated, constantly looking to take up the best place to cover and to receive the ball from. There were a couple of slip-ups, but no more than you would expect from any centre-back in a game like this.

The one more serious mistake was making the wrong call for Nugent's goal. He was trying to cover for Foley as well as jockey Nugent, but ended up allowing Nugent too much space to shape his shot. I am sure when he looks at it again, Batth will see that stopping Nugent from shooting should have been the priority in that situation.

But all in all, v. impressed. I hope Saunders sticks with him now, even when Johnson returns from suspension.

I thought he did ok. One of the most startling things I saw was the lack of communication between the back 4 and the 'keeper, none of them seem to talk to one another. Berra and Ward as senior players were very poor leaders last night and I thought Baath did very well in the face of that. A couple of times Wood got across him to easily and if I was an opposing manager I would target his lack of agility but other than that I thought he did very well in a team that is bottom of the form table against 2nd in the league.

he's clearly very strong, and that made it hard for their strikers (Who were quicker than him) to get away - he'd make sure he was in front of them and hold them off, rather than grabbing shirts. His heading was very good too.

I thought it was an excellent performance

People are moaning about Baath not spraying forward passes now LOL!!!

Thought it was a good league debut and I think he was the better of the 2 CB's if anyone is to be dropped to bring in Rodge I would drop Berra based on last night. Lets see how Baath does with a few games under his belt certainly looks promising to me.

I may be wrong, but I think it was Batth's first league start, and I thought he did very well. Nothing to add.

What were you expecting. Beckham like passes. Yet again I despair. The lad did very well. Let us look at the positives.

I may be wrong, but I think it was Batth's first league start, and I thought he did very well. Nothing to add.

It was for us. Played plenty for Sheff Wed & Colchestet

League Cup and brief appearance as late sub in midfield previously for us

The most telling thing for me was that we didn't look like we were missing a first choice player, Batth did well and for me should get a run in the side to get used to playing alongside the first team players and improve his game. Once RJ is back I'd dump wantaway Berra and play RJ/Batth.

It was for us. Played plenty for Sheff Wed & Colchestet

League Cup and brief appearance as late sub in midfield previously for us

Came on at Watford too when Berra got sent off, played for over an hour and by all accounts did fine.

People are moaning about Baath not spraying forward passes now LOL!!

Was thinking that. Keep it simple, bed in and grow in confidence. He'll make mistakes but I would persevere and hopefully Johnson (IMO our most consistent player this season ) alongside him will prove a mentor. We ain't arf short of defenders. Hopefully one day we'll sign a left back.

Was thinking that. Keep it simple, bed in and grow in confidence. He'll make mistakes but I would persevere and hopefully Johnson (IMO our most consistent player this season ) alongside him will prove a mentor. We ain't arf short of defenders. Hopefully one day we'll sign a left back.
Totally agree, if anything LB was our weakest link last night. It would be very harsh to drop Baath after that, for a debut given his age I was impressed.

People talk about him looking slow but I would bet money he is faster than our Rodge, hell I think most of this forum are probably quicker although he has been generally very good this season.

I thought he had a really good game. He should be proud of himself.

The most telling thing for me was that we didn't look like we were missing a first choice player, Batth did well and for me should get a run in the side to get used to playing alongside the first team players and improve his game. Once RJ is back I'd dump wantaway Berra and play RJ/Batth.
Its a fair point play players who wish for a future at our club rather than those who will look to move on.

Came on at Watford too when Berra got sent off, played for over an hour and by all accounts did fine.

He was okay I suppose, their strikers (Foriestieri? and Deeney) movement caused him some problems but he did have to be thrown in. I'd stick Margreitter in, especially if we want to build on thursday's performance.

He was okay I suppose, their strikers (Foriestieri? and Deeney) movement caused him some problems but he did have to be thrown in. I'd stick Margreitter in, especially if we want to build on thursday's performance.

Is that based on you seeing him during the Chelsea game? The write-up you gave made him sound ideal for playing in front of the back four especially if we are going to keep playing the ball out from the back.

And the Northampton game.. I also liked the way he talks about football, with O'Hara in particular in twitter. He seemed an advocate of two touch football ha!

In front of the defenders sounds interesting, he might be intelligent enough. I'd just like to have a centre back that is comfortable trying to bring the ball out. (I thought it was noticable that Batth has improved technically since I last saw him)

More than a bit perverse to be advocating a centre-half based on how he played in a 6-0 defeat where the opposition stopped playing after an hour!

I don't think you'll see much of him this season. Doesn't appear up to the physical rigours of the English game as it stands and is going to have little to no understanding with any of the other centre-halves having hardly kicked a ball in months. I occasionally talk reasonable sense about how I'd like us to play but you wouldn't stick me at left-back next Saturday.

Back