• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

England "Fans"

It came across in your post, that we don't often cause trouble at England matches. The list above differs from that.

My point is, we have a continuos history of violence at England matches and we have never been thrown out. We were threatened once and the head of the England football supporters club complained, that it wasn't right to kick out the England team for the behaviour of a few.

As far as I'm aware, no national team have been sent home from the European championships, for the behaviour of their supporters. By that logic, with our history of England crowd trouble, I'ts a bit rich us taking the high ground and moaning about Russian fans and wanting them to get kicked out. We were causing lots of trouble too and just because we came out worse, I can't see the point about moaning about it,, as if we weren't causing trouble too!

Changed your tune from supporting England's 'finest' haven't you?

I'm struggling to see your point about the moral high ground, are you saying it's ok for football fans to be violent in 'support' of their team?

Changed your tune from supporting England's 'finest' haven't you?

I'm struggling to see your point about the moral high ground, are you saying it's ok for football fans to be violent in 'support' of their team?

The term finest, was a joke and a piss take about hooligans.
I have never supported violence at any sports venue.

To be honest Johnny it was pretty obvious he wasn't serious about the 'finest' comment, especially after his comments relating to the English fans.

I have watched quite a few videos about the Russian and England fans. They were both up for it. England's finest weren't allowed to be there.

We caused mayhem for years, we never got thrown out.

To be honest Johnny it was pretty obvious he wasn't serious about the 'finest' comment, especially after his comments relating to the English fans.

Really? I must have had a sense of humour bypass with that one then.

Pretty ironic that there was a clip on Channel 4 news tonight showing England fans singing, 'fuck off Europe we're voting to leave'.

Maybe Donegal could talk a little about the English who caused mayhem over there?

To be honest I have been following this thread but kept out of it as it easy to be sanctimonious when there seems to be a direct correlation on Facebook between the more English fans get involved in shit the more your fans would try to show they are the nearest thing to sainthood that heavily drunk dressed up men in green could achieve, yeah we great (lots of a load of look at me shite)

But for a couple of days (and I can think of no worse insult on the internet) this thread sounded like something of RAWK, everyone else's fault but ours we are just victims, Fred was soon told when he offered a different opinion. But he was right apart from Croatia (who have there own internal shite) and the big bad 300 Russians the other 21 teams mingled quite happily. The English media were quick to highlight one incident in Nice between locals, Polish and Norn Ireland fans, fuck all since.

This column (which is normally very good and he spent his formative time in England and usually rails against the anti brit shite that can arise from time to time in Irish press) I think has it bang on the button (apart from the last sentance, must have got carried away then)

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...liarly-violent-stupid-young-men-34813552.html

Interest thoughts Donegal.

Personally, I think our 'banter' and choice of singing is probably not accepted and hence why it gets us in trouble.

As we've seen in this Country, a lot of the fans that are aggressive with their chants tend to shit themselves at the first sign of trouble.

As for the article, it was nothing to do with the North African population in Marseille.

Also, I'd agree with the point he's making if we'd continued to carry out problems, but it's been many years now since it's happened. I appreciate it might sound like making excuses, but it's fact.

If someone Donegal says is on the whole positive towards us describes us as
"Europe's unhappiest nation, fed on a diet of xenophobic tripe and imperial nostalgia", then Christ knows what those that are anti English write.

Personally I think the link from another Irish paper which someone put up last week is more accurate, which effectively said that the English weren't looking for trouble, but some are offensive and obnoxious in the way that they behave and the songs that they sing and so shouldn't be surprised when it finds them.

As for the article, it was nothing to do with the North African population in Marseille.

Also, I'd agree with the point he's making if we'd continued to carry out problems, but it's been many years now since it's happened. I appreciate it might sound like making excuses, but it's fact.

Agree with what your saying and fuck knows what the solution is.

Playing devils advocate you could argue the reason there has been no trouble recently is that due to geography this is the first tournament since 2006 that English fans could go to in large numbers and get pissed easily, suppose since 2000 when the last time there has been trouble there was only 04 and 06 where it was feasible and at that time there was definately a "different vibe" ( for want of a better word) around English football in general.

I would say thats part the problem as TT and yourself intimated above, English fans plonk themselves down thinking and behaving as it is still the late 90's/2000 etc but the world, authorities and people in general have changed a lot since then.

Botaris box with the police over there in my opinion. Our fans are no angels but whoever authorised tear gas use on that scale that early is a cretin who has no understanding of deescalation tactics

There have been more hooligan incidents from more nations this tournament than any other this century with england Russia Croatia Portugal Belgium all being investigated and threatened with sanctions. Something is obviously not right IMO if this has happened in the group stages at various locations. It will be very interesting to read some form of tournament debrief.

1988English soccer officials withdraw request to allow clubs back in Europe after violence during European championship finals in West Germany

1990England fans clash with Italian fans and police in Rimini before a World Cup match in Bologna. English clubs readmitted into European competitions

1992Violence by English hooligans in Malmo and Stockholm at European championship finals raise doubts whether England should host 1996 tournament

1993England fans clash with Dutch police in Amsterdam on eve of World Cup qualifying game against Holland

1995Friendly international against Republic of Ireland in Dublin abandoned after 27 minutes when England fans riot

1996Hooligans riot in Trafalgar Square after England lose to Germany on penalties in Euro 96 semi-final

1997Italian police baton-charge England fans at Rome's Olympic stadium after supporters cause trouble

1998England fans cause trouble during England's opening match of World Cup 98 against Tunisia in Marseille

Could it be something to do with the fact UEFA can only get involved if it's an issue within a ground, rather then out? I'm sure I read/heard this somewhere last week. The majority of the situations you describe above are outside of the ground and therefore, a football governing body wouldn't have been in a position to throw a competing country out of the competition.

Croatia threw flares on the pitch within the ground. They fought between themselves in the stands in within the ground. They prevented the game to continue within the ground. They potentially injured a steward by throwing a flashbang on the pitch (it then exploded in a stewards face) within the ground. Same with Russia - they charged at the England fans within the ground.

All of the above are situations where UEFA are entitled to step in.

That seems to be the main difference between the two, and an answer to your question of "have England been sent home?", although I could be wrong.

That's not true, I'm sure England were threatend once , to be sent home, if their fans didn't behave. That was trouble outside the Ground.

That's not true, I'm sure England were threatend once , to be sent home, if their fans didn't behave. That was trouble outside the Ground.

Interesting. I wonder where the line is between footballing body/police intervention. It seems a bit muddy.

Irish fans all over Greek TV today!
Singing to the tasty French bird, to the rain police, the baby on the tram and my total favourite, singing to a group of Swedish fans..."go home to your sexy wives".

As football supporters there are none better, we just like the Craig.

Lucky Penk :icon_wink:

Back