• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[FA Cup Quarter-Final] Wolves 2-3 Coventry: Verdict Thread

Bang on.

Again, this is on the club, letting two strikers go out. Cov lost their main striker in the summer and yet someone like Elliot Simms would have been ideal for us today as a back up striker. In my many years of watching Wolves I have never known such ineptness at a strategic level, to leave us so short up front. It was bound to catch up with us at some point.
Ellis Simms is shit, just a big lump. I wouldn't want him close to our squad. Bundling the ball in on the line doesn't make him any good. Our recruitment being appalling (it's really about Fosun not spending) doesn't make him a good fit nor Broja, nor Fabio, nor Sasa. We weren't going to and didn't want to buy anyone, hence the Jonny pay-off bollocks

Ellis Simms is shit, just a big lump. I wouldn't want him close to our squad. Bundling the ball in on the line doesn't make him any good. Our recruitment being appalling (it's really about Fosun not spending) doesn't make him a good fit nor Broja, nor Fabio, nor Sasa. We weren't going to and didn't want to buy anyone, hence the Jonny pay-off bollocks
I casually threw his name into the ring, I'm not proposing he would or should have been a target.
But............he might be a big lump and shit, but he was far better than what we had up front today.
That's what is unforgivable.

Injury news pretty much sticks a fork in the season. Clubs with far more desperate situations will be far more hell bent on a result than our depleted squad.
We’ll probably just break 50 points meaning about 10th-11th Finish would’ve taken it in August.
Amazing though how one result can just change a complete complexion of a season.

Didn't want to go to Wembley anyway. Seriously, we were well below par today and when we pulled it back to 2-1 it felt great but a rather undeserved, if not for Jose Sa Coventry would have put the game to bed by then. 9 minutes of injury time, in part due to the ludicrously long VAR check on Cov's first goal but hold on Wolves, nothing stupid. 7th minute of injury time they equalised so extra time looked likely then 10th minute they got the winner. I was bemused with the substitution of Doyle who I thought was playing well unlike Lemina who had one of his poorer games today. Doherty was predictably dogshit. Sa was MOTM with some outstanding saves that as I said kept us in the tie.

Our paper thin squad and frugal window is coming home to roost though its shit luck to lose Cunha, Neto and Hwang all at the same time and end up with a boy starting games.

Gutted but we were pretty dire today anyway. At the QF stage a home tie against Championship opposition is something you hope to capitalise on.

Difficult to argue that having Simms would be worse than what we had today.
Of course not, it's not the type of player we should sign though. I did the David McGoldrick thing last year to prove a point re a player who'd be better than what we had, it doesn't mean we should have them. Fosun cgaf so sadly it's all irrelevant really

We lost to the better team.

Usually, that's understandable in the Premier League. When we're deservedly losing to Coventry, it's a concern, although we know why.

If Ellis Simms had played for us, we win that game with ease. As someone who has watched him at Hearts and Sunderland before Coventry, that's a crazy thing to say. But, that's where we are.

We'd have struggled against a good League One side today with our forwards and whilst we ended up with two goals, it changes the whole dynamic if you have a proper focal point to sustain attacks.

Special mention for the defence though - atrocious. Santi Bueno was bullied all afternoon and Kilman not much better.

We took it short and then hit the first man, if that was coached then it needs work. I'd imagine the chat was more general than what specifically to do at that set piece
Yeah that's what I'm saying. A general chat, as we'd started poorly. It was an instigated time out in my view.

Ordinarily that would make me rage, but we deserved to lose today

Last edited:
We lost to the better team.

Usually, that's understandable in the Premier League. When we're deservedly losing to Coventry, it's a concern, although we know why.

If Ellis Simms had played for us, we win that game with ease. As someone who has watched him at Hearts and Sunderland before Coventry, that's a crazy thing to say. But, that's where we are.

We'd have struggled against a good League One side today with our forwards and whilst we ended up with two goals, it changes the whole dynamic if you have a proper focal point to sustain attacks.

Special mention for the defence though - atrocious. Santi Bueno was bullied all afternoon and Kilman not much better.
Not sure it's that binary. If a fit Cunha had played today, we may have scored and dominated the game, we may not, he wouldn't have impacted on the defending though or the game management when we went in front with 2 minutes to go in normal time.

Our CHs were shit today. All those that have been wanking over S.Beuno recently - what about that shit show today? Cov's first goal should have been chalked off after one minute review by VAR. Cov deserved that win. Fosun need to check out the Championship, as there are some decent players in that league...

Chiwome deserves a spot over Frazer on today`s showing. Can`t see us ever achieving anything as long as Fosun continues to run things. We were poor, Sa and RAN aside. They played well and deserved their win. They looked like a team that knew they were competing in the Quarter final of the F.A. Cup. Bottle job.

On their players who can play. Number 14 Sheaf will play at a higher level, not what we need at the moment as too similar to Doyle, but he impressed

Back