• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Forest 1 - Wolves 1 the I can't be bothered to think of a joke title verdict thread

Wall's fault for me. The ball barely gets above head height.

Having just watched it again on a bigger screen it's Coady in particular in the wall, he's a lot slower getting off the ground than the others and appears to be his head that it goes over, there's an arm on his shoulder from Henry next to him, potentially Henry pushing off him has prevented him getting off the ground.

How many goals against this season have come from outside the box? 10? 15? Too fucking many for ikeme to stay as number one imho

This is a good view of the free kick (watch it on mute if you don't want to hear some mouthy twat).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO8YPoCd5O8

Good strike but he gives himself no chance with that positioning which is way too far over to the left. A basic error, similar to the one vs Derby at home.

Seems to be the latest thing with Keepers.
Loads doing it or even stepping behind the wall before the kick is taken. Foster did it v Arsenal, Hennessey did it the other week

To me you've got to be giving yourself a chance whichever side the taker chooses to go. I realise it isn't easy, but then this is relatively high level professional football. As soon as that ball goes over the wall he has no chance, if it's on target he isn't getting near it. De Gea would struggle to save it from that starting position - slightly off his line for some reason as well - let alone old Concrete Boots. So, given that's the conventional side a taker will go (up and over the wall), why he's basically just hoping Gardner will put it into the wall, over or wide is beyond me. He can't save it from where he is.

i've said it before, if there was virtually no wall and the keeper took centreish position, he would save 95% of direct shots.
the wall gives the shooter a even money chance of scoring.

Not sure about that to be honest. No wall and the taker could absolutely blast it fairly low every time as no-one's there to block it. You wouldn't get those dinked efforts at all. Also way less free kicks would go over the bar as there's no need to get the ball over a near 7 foot (if everyone jumps) barrier in the first place.

This is a good view of the free kick (watch it on mute if you don't want to hear some mouthy $#@!)..

The wall served no purpose - that is the crux. Thought he was positioned well. The best goalkeeper in the world would have struggled with that.

He definitely isn't positioned well :icon_lol: He's giving himself no chance at all from where he is assuming Gardner gets it on target on that side. The definition of bad positioning.

The best goalkeeper in the world wouldn't have saved it from where he was stood, but then Neuer or whoever wouldn't be stood there in the first place. Nor would most average Championship keepers.

He definitely isn't positioned well :icon_lol: He's giving himself no chance at all from where he is assuming Gardner gets it on target on that side. The definition of bad positioning.

The best goalkeeper in the world wouldn't have saved it from where he was stood, but then Neuer or whoever wouldn't be stood there in the first place. Nor would most average Championship keepers.

If you're inviting them to put it in a certain place you are relying on the wall to 'jump' but the free-kick was quick sweet and you'd have to be a gymnast to get to it. While I don't think Ikeme is the answer I'd look at the wall first. It was a superb free-kick ... not sure we can fully point to Ikeme as a 'free-kick' failurist though. Free kicks in that position are massively advantageous if the dude taking it is on the spot - their guy was.

Paint the ideal scenario for me ???????????

He should be stood further over to the right rather than well to the left of the wall as the odds are the taker will put it over the wall. It's not complicated.

I think you'll find plenty of keepers manage to save free kicks from that range that go over the wall at that pace and trajectory. You'd say very few keepers had a chance of saving the Snodgrass effort at Hull. Most keepers would have made a comfortable enough save on Saturday as they'd have been stood in the right place to start with. As it was Ikeme didn't even dive as he was beaten the second it was taken.

He should be stood further over to the right rather than well to the left of the wall as the odds are the taker will put it over the wall. It's not complicated.

I think you'll find plenty of keepers manage to save free kicks from that range that go over the wall at that pace and trajectory. You'd say very few keepers had a chance of saving the Snodgrass effort at Hull. Most keepers would have made a comfortable enough save on Saturday as they'd have been stood in the right place to start with. As it was Ikeme didn't even dive as he was beaten the second it was taken.

If you hit it well enough from that position you are at a massive advantage if the wall doesn't jump. It flipping whizzed in and was a fantastic free quick. We're just debating minor points - the team is poor and it's much more than Ikeme.

If you hit it well enough from that position you are at a massive advantage if the wall doesn't jump. It flipping whizzed in and was a fantastic free quick. We're just debating minor points - the team is poor and it's much more than Ikeme.

I think what DW is getting at is as simple as this..

Better positioning gives him a better chance of saving it, it could still fly in, but standing where he did means he gives himself no chance whatsoever.

Why not have your tallest players in the wall because shooting is the option near 100% of the time in that position. Danny Batth in the wall.

I think what DW is getting at is as simple as this..

Better positioning gives him a better chance of saving it, it could still fly in, but standing where he did means he gives himself no chance whatsoever.

If he was in the middle of the goal he wouldn't have saved that. It flew in and Ikeme isn't the quickest. He is a good shot stopper.

If he was in the middle of the goal he wouldn't have saved that. It flew in and Ikeme isn't the quickest. He is a good shot stopper.
I've never understood that phrase. He's a goalkeeper - it's kind of a pre-requisite for the role.

It's like saying a pilot has decent eyesight.

Back