• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Pretty rare for a manager's contract to expire and them simply leave isn't it? The only times in the Premier League I can think of it happening is West Ham with Allardyce and Moyes. I suppose with that club the precedent is there, but them letting Moyes go for Gary O'Neil does all sound incredibly unlikely.

Weren't they all retirements though? Like not just a manager allowed to run down his deal and then get straight back on the merry go round like we're talking with Moyes

I suppose you could say El Tel for England, but that was nothing to do with on-field performances.

The grass isn’t always greener and I think that applies to both West Ham and us.

GON hasn’t actually achieved anything yet so of course I wouldn’t be bothered if he left. But given we are probably going to finish around 12th with a limited squad, low spend, early season disruption then with all things being equal I wouldn’t have our chances of tangible improvement higher than a coin flip and there’s always a chance you could downgrade/doesn’t work out

All things considered GON has done well, and much better than I expected.
I don't think the latter part of that sentence can be disputed.

I don't think he's done well, but that's my personal opinion. I would've expected Lop to have a better points total and style with this squad. But that's old ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: b3h
Overall its been a bit up and down so far but you've gotta be happy with the goals we're scoring and our league position.
Will GON be good enough long term? Dunno, if we can finish mid table or a bit higher and he cuts out some of the weird selections, tactics, subs, then I would worry a bit who we bring in should he leave. I really don't like changing coach every season or two.

I don't think the latter part of that sentence can be disputed.

I don't think he's done well, but that's my personal opinion. I would've expected Lop to have a better points total and style with this squad. But that's old ground.
We play better football now than we ever did under Lopetegui in any actual competitive games, it is of course possible he'd have played differently this season.

GON getting a lot of stick about weird decisions ans subs. Some things I don’t agree with (taking off Sarabia for example, but I know why he did it) but he just doesn’t trust anyone outside the core 12 or 13, one of which is injured.

An experienced manager like JL was making changes in the early parts which were were 50/50 good or terrible and them switched that to having to make 2 changes at HT regularly as we got it completely wrong to start with.

GON getting a lot of stick about weird decisions ans subs. Some things I don’t agree with (taking off Sarabia for example, but I know why he did it) but he just doesn’t trust anyone outside the core 12 or 13, one of which is injured.

An experienced manager like JL was making changes in the early parts which were were 50/50 good or terrible and them switched that to having to make 2 changes at HT regularly as we got it completely wrong to start with.
Totally agree. The stick he gets about subs is harsh IMO, they can mostly be very easily justified (except Doc, he should have learnt regarding Doc.)

Matt Doherty should not be playing football at this level yet he's consistently picked.

Let's not paint GoN as a good game manager, he isn't. Good man manager, yes but in game he's still learning.

Last edited:
Totally agree. The stick he gets about subs is harsh IMO, they can mostly be very easily justified (except Doc, he should have learnt regarding Doc.)

But I know why he did it. Bueno couldn’t last the remaining time as we found out against Burnley and Jonny is done. I felt he should have just put Toti out there (moreso in hindsight) but I know why he didn’t.

But I know why he did it. Bueno couldn’t last the remaining time as we found out against Burnley and Jonny is done. I felt he should have just put Toti out there (moreso in hindsight) but I know why he didn’t.
Well he had a few options, bring Santi on and put Toti to LWB, or bring any attacking player on for Hugo and put Toti LB, the 3rd option is play Doc at LWB where he was awful against Fulham, i don't think there's an excuse for it - it was a really poor choice.

But Traore for Lemina made sense, we needed the physicality, you can't legislate for that Traore performance, nor Bellegarde's. Leaving Hwang and Cunha on as long as he did was fair too, they're our most likely scorers at the moment.

Haven't we won a number of points from losing positions?
Only Spurs and Everton you could say he made a difference with his subs and no games with a change of tactics have yielded points.

Everything else no and 5 of the first 6 actively detrimental.

I thought he was getting better at it but the last 3 games have been poor.

Still no doubt he's a good man manager and measurably improved players.

But Traore for Lemina made sense, we needed the physicality, you can't legislate for that Traore performance, not Bellegarde's.
I'll disagree there, Doyle's creativity would have been more useful than Bouba's heft. Forest were letting us have the ball and barely attacking with their no striker.

He shouldn't be using Doherty at all but that's an inherited situation.

Back