• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Firstly, I thought the aim was to try and play two strikers this season. Maybe I misunderstood something somewhere around the move to a back four.

I would have bought in an additional striker on loan, or a striker for the U21s that we'd actually be comfortable playing a few minutes off of the bench to see out games.
Surely no one ever thought we were playing 2 strikers?! That’s… what? What is that?!

On a positive note our medical team will be very familiar with this injury, and will be confident they can get the player back to match fitness. How long that will take will be a best guess as always. They will probably know more next week.
It's shit luck for the guy and us!

He's still the best striker we've had for quite a few years. And is currently our only striker right now. Would you play CC instead?
I think one of the things we're currently weakest at is developing promising U21 players to at least be functional squad level members of the first team.

On that note, if in the next few months we've witnessed 60/70 minutes of Raul having an absolute mare, then yes, I would give Chem a run. I would not start him in place of Raul because that's too much to expect, but I would maybe be more comfortable starting Guedes in place of Raul if the patterns continue.

Firstly, I thought the aim was to try and play two strikers this season. Maybe I misunderstood something somewhere around the move to a back four.

I would have bought in an additional striker on loan, or a striker for the U21s that we'd actually be comfortable playing a few minutes off of the bench to see out games.
1) How did you come up with that when we haven't played two up top at any point under Lage?

2) We do have a good U21 in Fraser and he's ready for senior football physically now. Up to Lage to play him properly.

Bad news. Top player, no doubt.

I calculate since 2017/18, 790 days injured.

I think one of the things we're currently weakest at is developing promising U21 players to at least be functional squad level members of the first team.

On that note, if in the next few months we've witnessed 60/70 minutes of Raul having an absolute mare, then yes, I would give Chem a run. I would not start him in place of Raul because that's too much to expect, but I would maybe be more comfortable starting Guedes in place of Raul if the patterns continue.
Problem is on the former it's very difficult (as a club) to get the best young players out there, and the step between the U21 and PL is huge. Unless you have someone like Garnacho at Utd then it's really difficult to have a PL ready player at u21 level.

Didn’t Lage also say Raul had “chronic fatigue” yesterday, yet today the official website says he felt something with his groin?

Bruno really should be better advised before going public with stuff. He seems to get things wrong constantly.

As for Sasa, I’m gutted for him. We now have another season of essentially passing the ball around nicely and then watching Raul regularly fluff his lines and fucking Hwang is the main back up.

We had a conversation literally last week about “squad depth”, and I’m fairly sure a point was made that it’s a “myth”. Well it’s not is it? This one injury alone shows that we’re in fact worse off than last season when it comes to options in the forward area of the pitch, having loaned Fabio out.

I’ve no idea what we’re going to do. There’s no one suitable out there in the free market, so we’re just going to flog Raul week in week out.

1) How did you come up with that when we haven't played two up top at any point under Lage?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Genuinely thought we were this season. I also thought that was part of the reason we made some attempt to keep hold of MGW.

I agree with your point in developing strikers at youth team level, in fact any players at youth team level.

Campbell isn't a forward though, he's a wide player like Pod.

Didn’t Lage also say Raul had “chronic fatigue” yesterday, yet today the official website says he felt something with his groin?

Bruno really should be better advised before going public with stuff. He seems to get things wrong constantly.

As for Sasa, I’m gutted for him. We now have another season of essentially passing the ball around nicely and then watching Raul regularly fluff his lines and fucking Hwang is the main back up.

We had a conversation literally last week about “squad depth”, and I’m fairly sure a point was made that it’s a “myth”. Well it’s not is it? This one injury alone shows that we’re in fact worse off than last season when it comes to options in the forward area of the pitch, having loaned Fabio out.

I’ve no idea what we’re going to do. There’s no one suitable out there in the free market, so we’re just going to flog Raul week in week out.
Says building his ability and resilience to recover in that link. Which will be fatigue related.

Bad news. Top player, no doubt.

I calculate since 2017/18, 790 days injured.

I've never seen a player go down as often as he was in his 45 minutes on the pitch. Was down at least 4/5 times.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Genuinely thought we were this season. I also thought that was part of the reason we made some attempt to keep hold of MGW.
No idea how you've gone there but I'll have a half of what you're having 😁

This is devestating news, I haven't even had a chance to watch the highlights or the game from yesterday yet.

I've never seen a player go down as often as he was in his 45 minutes on the pitch. Was down at least 4/5 times.
They man handled him which was clearly a tactic. Nothing over the top, but definitely roughed him up a bit. The challenge that the injury came from looked innocuous enough

2) We do have a good U21 in Fraser and he's ready for senior football physically now. Up to Lage to play him properly.
Re 2) It's a big ask for him, he certainly has the physique to compete. I'd like to see him get some minutes though. IIRC he's currently serving a 3 match ban for the u21s anyway

Re 2) It's a big ask for him, he certainly has the physique to compete. I'd like to see him get some minutes though. IIRC he's currently serving a 3 match ban for the u21s anyway
Probably the wrong thread for this, but you hear about some real prospects we have in the U21s. Ryan Giles? Dion Sanderson?

There doesn't seem to be any route to first team other than farming them out to Championship clubs or Grasshoppers. How are Everton and others managing to bring through young players consistently?

Probably the wrong thread for this, but you hear about some real prospects we have in the U21s. Ryan Giles? Dion Sanderson?

There doesn't seem to be any route to first team other than farming them out to Championship clubs or Grasshoppers. How are Everton and others managing to bring through young players consistently?
The manager isn't trying them out or they just aren't good enough.

Good question, I think it's probably ability. Giles is probably the closest to PL just he wouldn't work in our system. Sanderson isn't good enough for PL. The rest are either lower champ or league one.

Cundle might have been able to but he's never getting in ahead of our current incumbents.

Fraser might have an opportunity but again, he's very raw. The only one I can see actually getting first team squad on merit would be Tyler Roberts - next season or season after.

They bought Patterson from Rangers and Gordon went out on loan to Preston in the Championship. Sanderson isn't good enough, Giles is a wing back

Back