• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

More info here:

The club are predicted to be within the FFP guidelines by £2.7m, but they projected a “worst case scenario” of finishing 17th in order to do that. As we’re looking likely to finish a lot higher, we should comfortably be within those guidelines.

Having to pay off Jonny had an impact on our ability to sign a striker.

We’ve received all the money for Jota.

To get the figure to £211m surely we have to have signed Cunha? Transfermarkt has us at €177m without him?
That's what LLs piece says yes, so I'll amend my post. In which case we are clear by an absolute country mile this season, yet he's still saying we couldn't sign a striker because we had to pay Jonny off. Bonkers.

I wonder if Fosun have called in a loan?

That's what LLs piece says yes, so I'll amend my post. In which case we are clear by an absolute country mile this season, yet he's still saying we couldn't sign a striker because we had to pay Jonny off. Bonkers.

I wonder if Fosun have called in a loan?
I can’t be arsed to work it out but he’s also saying we’re on for a loss again this season. With the profit on player trading, likely reduced wage bill, higher TV and league/cup revenue I simply can’t see how that can be true unless there’s something else at play as you say.

I can’t be arsed to work it out but he’s also saying we’re on for a loss again this season. With the profit on player trading, likely reduced wage bill, higher TV and league/cup revenue I simply can’t see how that can be true unless there’s something else at play as you say.
As we know net transfer spend isn't p&l, but when you make a paper surplus of something like £110m, plus £10m savings just from your 2 biggest wage earners then clearly that's impossible without a curve ball we don't know about. As you said in your earlier post any loss this year would need us reaching into the PSR exemptions to clear it.

Perhaps the recall of the loan was the change from Plan B to Plan C? Plan A being impossible in the first place. Although ai think loans either way sit outside of PSR don't they?

Last edited:
Obviously the club calculated that they could include the Cunha fee in the 22/23 period and be ok and ratified the deal early, rather than having it affecting the 23/24 period instead.

As we know net transfer spend isn't p&l, but when you make a paper surplus of something like £110m, plus £10m savings just from your 2 biggest wage earners then clearly that's impossible without a curve ball we don't know about. As you said in your earlier post any loss this year would need us reaching into the PSR exemptions to clear it.

Perhaps the recall of the loan was the change from Plan B to Plan C? Plan A being impossible in the first place. Although ai think loans either way sit outside of PSR don't they?
Loans are balance sheet items (except the interest on them) rather than Profit and loss account however you are correct that overall if the loan would effect cash flow. It was intimidated in the summer window thread that the non buying of players was a cash flow problem rather than a FFP headroom one.

"Wolves owners Fosun loaned the club a further £64million in 2022-23 with that loan due to be conveyed to equity in the next few weeks.

That money is not factored into PSR calculations as PSR is designed to prevent owners from bankrolling clubs.

Fosun has provided another loan worth £18million in the current financial year."

"Wolves’ current forecasts for the 2023-24 season predict a loss of £39.7million, but when allowable expenses are removed from the equation, it would leave Wolves with a predicted loss of £22m for PSR purposes.

When allowable expenses are taken into account, current predictions would leave Wolves staying within the £105million limit by £2.7m for the three years ending in May 2024.

Their ‘headroom’ had been predicted to be around £5million but was reduced when they settled on Jonny Otto’s contract in January following the training ground incident that saw him removed from the first-team squad."

Plus we have the extra prize money of £1.8m per place, as the club's calculations are based on the prediction of a 17th place finish.

What am I missing here? Why would Fosun (or anyone else) want to own a business (Wolves or any other club) that makes those kinds of losses? Do these figures exclude sponsorship deals and the like?

These are not the figures used for PSR. That explicitly includes some money, which isn’t included for PSR, to paint bollards.

Matchday revenue is not great too, it was pretty stark how many tickets went unsold midweek despite it being impossible to get tickets.
Getting a bit bored of this narrative now, I don't think anyone has been saying it's hard to get tickets since Nuno was here? (When it genuinely was)

Has anyone purchased this yet? It's a 1319 piece building block set of Molineux.

Has anyone purchased this yet? It's a 1319 piece building block set of Molineux.
Do you have to paint the bollards yourself?

Yep. Gift for my son and he loves it, but making it is a bit fiddly for just a kid so I had to do a fair bit - what a shame!!!

What is alarming is the on pitch value we got from the Summer one £115m or thereabouts on Nunes, Guedes, Sasa, Collins and Hwang.
This is the bottom line. A club of our size can't afford to make multiple wild errors in the market and we have (go further back and add Fabio, Hoever and Cutrone to that, another £60m FFS).

This is the bottom line. A club of our size can't afford to make multiple wild errors in the market and we have (go further back and add Fabio, Hoever and Cutrone to that, another £60m FFS).
Errors are to be expected with transfers but it's the scale with us, pretty much all the errors have been with our high profile, high cost players. I'm hoping we've changed that now.

I thought Maguire was well respected and what he says is considered accurate?
The accounts he’s analysing are stating we were £20m under PSR limit. That was never really in doubt.

This year I think everyone fully accepts we’ve got to/had to “balance the books”.

But fag packet maths say our purchases increased amortisation by at most £10m. Nunes and Collins sales reduced the amortisation by £13m.

Let’s say Raul was break even on fee/amortistaion, so ignore him. Adama reduces by about £3m

So amortisation has come down by minimim £6m.

Neves/Coady/Giles sales pure profit of £60m.
We will ignore loan fees. Let’s say Collins was no profit, but one years amortisation so £4m. Nunes 1 year amortisation plus £10m = £18m. Add all that togerher and it’s a conservative £82m on player trading.

Wages have clearly come down. Income has come up, but we will ignore both as we don’t know. So if we assume all things are the same bar amortisation and player trading.

Amortisation down £6m minimum.
Profit on player sales £82m. Which im going to estimate as £42m more than the previous season.

So the accounts should be at worst £48m better in player trading. Add a decrease in wages and increases in income then I think we should have more than comfortably balanced them to have allowed some form of spending in January.

Back