• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

General Wolves News

Pfft away with sense, we’re broke and Fosun are our saviours.

What am I missing here? Why would Fosun (or anyone else) want to own a business (Wolves or any other club) that makes those kinds of losses? Do these figures exclude sponsorship deals and the like?
This was a serious question, if anyone can enlighten me.

Fosun can probably write off the losses against tax obligations elsewhere in the group, whilst in theory growing a brand and increasing the value of an asset.

It depends on the purchase price when buying the club, its marketing value for the Fosun group and its value now should they wish to sell. Once losses accumulated are above the difference between the purchase price and current value then you do have to wonder. The club has to stay in Premier League to keep the value high.

We are still worth more as a PL club than they have invested, although we must be coming close to break even. We shouldn't be making losses and should be self sustainable. It's their poor decision making and being taken to the cleaners by the agent they are invested in that's made us loss making. If they were to run us properly we wouldn't be.

The whole pack of cards folds if we go down hence last January's spend which wouldn't have been planned or budgeted for and was only needed because the Summer was so expensive and yet so poor.

Was always going to happen when we didn’t sign an attacking player in January.

They are so, so naive it’s beyond a joke at this point.

Can see the season petering out due to fatigue and injuries

The account stuff...I just feel like we need/deserve honesty, none of this opaque stuff and prepared lines to the media. We shouldn't have to rely on posters like PuntsWolf to work it out for us. Transparency!

I can not make any sense of the narrative that buying a player out in Jan '24 affected transfers to such a degree especially when considering wage size and transfers out last summer.

The January no signing stuff is just disappointing now. Everyone could see it. Gaz was talking about it. The form and winning papered over a lot of things that I just hope isn't more evidence the club getting rugged.

If Johnny was so toxic you could have sent him back to Spain, carried on paying his wages and still have the opportunity to sign someone else.

If Johnny was so toxic you could have sent him back to Spain, carried on paying his wages and still have the opportunity to sign someone else.
Maybe that’s why he’s not posting anymore…?

Even if you buy the Jonny stuff as being the forward deal breaker, that was based on a 17th place position when it was clear by the end of January our floor was at least a couple of places higher than that, thus funding said forward.

Jonny wasn't a deal breaker on any possible signing. It cost us £2.3m as a one off payment of a years salary which we have written off on the accounts.

We will be easily clear of that amount thanks to higher than the predicted 17th placing (£1.8m per place) and extra money from live TV games.

It should be £10+m clear of any danger for PSR depending on where we finish. How much leeway that would have given us to sign someone in January is anyone's guess. With amortisation plus a years wages, probably a reasonable transfer fee.

Last edited:
I don't know where the quote Bear put up came from I assume LL? The one telling part of that was planning for 17th bit. Financially that's the correct thing to do given the strategy, not amending it once it became clear our floor was higher says everything. They are happy to just stay up this season. My opinion is that won't change next or beyond.

Back