• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Is Bruno Lage A Good Manager Or Should He Go?

Back him or sack him?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe we could attract Poch given our recent acquisitions and the fact that Fosun seems to have re-opened the cheque book. Is Mendes his agent?

For me, the critical games are against Bournmouth and Southampton. If Lage doesn't get any points in those games, then he has to go. I just cannot see Wolves getting much from Newcastle next week, given the way the Geordies played today against City.

If he only picks up 1 win out the next 3 he’s on wafer thin ice, you can’t just shrug your shoulders after each poor result but decent performance and say it’ll come.

Everyone knows my reservations about Bruno since he got here and I’m still waiting to be proved wrong hope he does because it means we’ll be doing well.

He's got 3 games to prove hes competent. We need 6 points minimum from the next 3. Anything less and the board really need to be head hunting a new manager.

I'm not a fan of his at all but to back him with new players and then sack him would be strange. Get a striker in and then see how the next 3 games go. If we're still without a win then who knows what Fosun will do. Is it 10 PL games without a win at the moment for him?

Long term, I think most of us know he's not the answer. He should never have been appointed in the first place to be honest. I suspect that with the new additions we'll do ok this season, nothing spectacular but an average mid table season again. We should be aiming for better though.

As per TD above, even if he gets the tools he demands and performs adequately this season, is he the man to lead us forwards to progress the club? The answer's an obvious no, he's treading water, at no point has he shown that he's a tactical genius stifled by an inadequate squad (I personally believe, up till recently the squad was good enough for a lower mid table finish with nobody in charge) I don't think he has shown anything to suggest he's the man for the next five years.

I'm not a fan of his at all but to back him with new players and then sack him would be strange. Get a striker in and then see how the next 3 games go. If we're still without a win then who knows what Fosun will do. Is it 10 PL games without a win at the moment for him?

Long term, I think most of us know he's not the answer. He should never have been appointed in the first place to be honest. I suspect that with the new additions we'll do ok this season, nothing spectacular but an average mid table season again. We should be aiming for better though.

This is partly why I'm so set on sacking him. We may well finish midtable but considering the players brought in that will be failure, I can't see us keeping Nunes for more than 1 or 2 seasons without at least challenging for the European places and then we've wasted what is probably the best and most balanced squad we've ever had.

To me he is a number 2 at best as he was all those years under Carvahal, not the main man. He had some success when he first took over at Benfica but how much of that was down to what he inherited and just carried on in a caretaker capacity? When it started to unravel he was found wanting so his track record as the main man is highly questionable. He lacks the charisma for the role and tactical, and in terms of game management doesn't seem of the level required either. When looking at some of his counterparts in the Premier League, not least Klopp and Pep but also some further down, he's not in the same chapter not least the same page.

I was all for him going in the summer and was surprised/disappointed that he didn't. This run we are currently on cannot be swept aside as it is pretty abysmal. The quality of players we have, especially with the recent additions really should be capable of better than 1 point and 1 goal from the games so far. Newcastle will be tough having seen them yesterday then we have that run of tough games coming up in a few weeks when we could be in danger of cementing a place near the bottom and will be playing catch up.

What if we don't get a striker until the end of the window, and then we have a run of difficult games? How long does he get then, given the fixture challenges?

I know comparisons between managers aren't always fair due to different leagues and different circumstances etc but a quick look tells me that the only Wolves managers in the last 20 years with a worse win percentage than Bruno are Glenn Hoddle, Dean Saunders and Walter Zenga.

Why do we think the club are still keeping him on?

Why do we think the club are still keeping him on?

Not sure if its been mentioned on here but on the Mix there is talk from some supposedly with connections that Fosun wanted to sack him at the end of last season but their preferred targets (Lopetegui) were unavailable or didn't fancy it

Not saying I want him sacked, but he needs some points sharpish. Less than 6 from the next 5 would have him in a lot of trouble.

Don’t think the club would have any issue doing that if we are on 5 points after the Man City game.

He’s been backed but I don’t see that being a barrier to the sack. The players we’ve signed aren’t exactly one trick ponies. Guedes, Collins and Nunes can play in a 3 or a 2

What if we don't get a striker until the end of the window, and then we have a run of difficult games? How long does he get then, given the fixture challenges?

I think it's fair to judge him on the next 3 games regardless. Raul isn't some parks player, he might have regressed but he's still more than good enough for the Premier League.

I think he really needed some of the things that happened this summer (Coady moving on, some strong signings, move to a back 4) to happen last summer. A stronger manager probably would have pushed for that, instead of opting for playing Nuno-lite (but without the good bits) for most of the season.

Hopefully when he does inevitably go, he leaves a more balanced and flexible squad than he inherited, to allow his predecessor to hit the ground running

I think it's fair to judge him on the next 3 games regardless. Raul isn't some parks player, he might have regressed but he's still more than good enough for the Premier League.

Let's be honest, is it fair to say you've already judged him regardless of what happens in the next 3 games?

Let's be honest, is it fair to say you've already judged him regardless of what happens in the next 3 games?

I have judged him, however that doesn't mean I won't recognise if there's a positive trajectory. The world isn't black and white.

I don't think there will be but I hope I'm proved wrong and we are suddenly creating 3/4 good chances per game.

He'll have Raul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back