• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2021 Transfer Window

I think youre being harsh on the Donkster there. He can finish as he has proved , but he has missed chances recently. Jimenez missed plenty in his first 10 games to have us debating if he was a finisher, then once he copped a couple he didnt stop. He has height , speed and stamina together with a physical presence and awareness of how to bring Neto Podence and Traore into the game. I dont think its a nuts idea given the lack of back up. Silva is not the same as Raul and its a lot of pressure. Donk up front to see out a game looks a better option than the Traore/ Neto option did v Arsenal

So you would play Donk up front ahead of Silva?

Whilst i think it's a barmy notion, Nuno did play N'Diaye up there on occasion.

Dendoncker looks awful when he has to play with his back to goal, not a viable option as a forward.

So you would play Donk up front ahead of Silva?

Whilst i think it's a barmy notion, Nuno did play N'Diaye up there on occasion.
No I would see out the game with Donk up front to replace a knackered Silva in December while we assess Raul and suitable plan B options in the January window. Our problem trying to see the game out Monday was that no one was able to hold the ball up there so it came straight back. Silva had run his guts out . We need some0one to just hold it up when we clear it. This inviting pressure doesnt work more often than not. I completely take the point that Donk is not the best option however. It was only an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say, I don't think it's appropriate to just have a bodge/inferior option up front as a Raul replacement for any length of time if we're serious about finishing top 10 in the PL

Gotta say, I don't think it's appropriate to just have a bodge/inferior option up front as a Raul replacement for any length of time if we're serious about finishing top 10 in the PL
Aye. We have a month (he isn't going to be back particularly soon), that needs to be used lining up options, talking to clubs/players/agents and having that deal ready to go on 1 January. Because even if Fabio does well, we have nothing behind him. Corbeanu is the nearest and he isn't remotely ready to be playing Premier League football. Adama is not an option, he never scores. Carl Leaburn would get more in a season if they played as strikers in this team. I'm not going to give the "play Donck up front" idea any more airtime, it's already had too much.

I have seen us play Mark Rankine up front. And Andy Thompson. Neither were good.

No I would see out the game with Donk up front to replace a knackered Silva in December while we assess Raul and suitable plan B options in the January window. Our problem trying to see the game out Monday was that no one was able to hold the ball up there so it came straight back. Silva had run his guts out . We need some0one to just hold it up when we clear it. This inviting pressure doesnt work more often than not. I completely take the point that Donk is not the best option however. It was only an idea.
And who replaces Donk? Otasowie? Might as well just stick him there and cut out the middle man.

And who replaces Donk? Otasowie? Might as well just stick him there and cut out the middle man.
Without labouring it

Rui

Semedo Coady Boly Marcal

Donk(Neves) Moutinho

Traore Podence(Kilman) Neto

Silva (Donk)

That changes the 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3

As I say its just an idea. I am really not a fan of how we have been trying to close out games leaving Traore plus one up top as there is no hold up . Maybe its just me .

Cyber/TPFKAC, do you mean put Donk there if Silva gets crocked (as at that point we literally have no forwards in the first team picture), or do you mean actually put Donk there as an alternative?

Cyber/TPFKAC, do you mean put Donk there if Silva gets crocked (as at that point we literally have no forwards in the first team picture), or do you mean actually put Donk there as an alternative?
wish I never bothered as is often the case on here. You come up with an idea and it gets derisive responses without any sort of alternative view, or respectful debate bar Johnny and Mir. Guess I am not one of the respected posters on here.

At 75 minutes we make the changes to see out games when we are winning. 99% of the time that invites pressure. plenty of times that has resulted in a late concession of a goal to either lose the match or give the opposition a draw. It could have happened again v Arsenal.

Silva has not got 90 minute legs yet. He will have the shirt in December. At 75 minutes when we make our changes , if we are ahead and want to close the game I would try Donk up top to hold the ball up as he can do that well and he has the most stamina of our players. So he would replace Silva. Leave Two of Traore Neto and Podence on behind him and you have an ouit ball with hold up potential rather than a hoof into territory which instantly gets returned.

Of course Donk is not a centre forward but he has great hold up technique and can spot a pass/ link play. More so that Traore by a long way who looks completely lost when we try and close a game out, most of the time.

I think now would be an ideal time to look for a 22-24 year old forward who is ready to play in the first team.

We know Raul is out for the season and we also can't be sure if he'll be able to play again (this makes me sad even thinking about it), Silva isn't quite ready yet plus we can't rely on him alone.

It makes sense to me to try to find someone who is able to come in and start playing straight away to give Silva the chance to gain experience without having the weight of expectation on him.

If and when Raul comes back we can decide who we want to keep and who goes.

wish I never bothered as is often the case on here. You come up with an idea and it gets derisive responses without any sort of alternative view, or respectful debate bar Johnny and Mir. Guess I am not one of the respected posters on here.

At 75 minutes we make the changes to see out games when we are winning. 99% of the time that invites pressure. plenty of times that has resulted in a late concession of a goal to either lose the match or give the opposition a draw. It could have happened again v Arsenal.

Silva has not got 90 minute legs yet. He will have the shirt in December. At 75 minutes when we make our changes , if we are ahead and want to close the game I would try Donk up top to hold the ball up as he can do that well and he has the most stamina of our players. So he would replace Silva. Leave Two of Traore Neto and Podence on behind him and you have an ouit ball with hold up potential rather than a hoof into territory which instantly gets returned.

Of course Donk is not a centre forward but he has great hold up technique and can spot a pass/ link play. More so that Traore by a long way who looks completely lost when we try and close a game out, most of the time.
I can see the logic but i don't think Donck has the quickness of feet required, plus we'd lose his height at the back when defending crosses.

I can see the logic but i don't think Donck has the quickness of feet required, plus we'd lose his height at the back when defending crosses.
And that is how you reply.

Fair enough. How should we try and close out games? I worry that our current strategy is flawed?

Back