• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Every General Election I go to some website (I can't recall the name of it) that breaks down every major party's manifesto into categories such as health, education, foreign policy, environment etc, then presents a blind multiple choice of a digest of each, and you choose the one that most represents your views.
At the end it shows a pie chart of your answers by party, as well as revealing the parties behind your choices.
Every time I end up mostly Green. So I've followed them, but really I'm not actually sure I support them?
In the end I vote for whichever sacrificial lamb Labour have put up in my deep, deep blue constituency, as that's the closest opposition anyone will put up.
Comfortingly though, the local council seats are opening up, last term they were all current or former Tory, this time a few others snuck in.

TLDR: Fuck Torys.

It is though, isn't it.

I'm asking you which one would you rather lead our country.

If you don't want to answer, it's fine.
Interesting question though, if you weren't in a safe seat but a labour/tory marginal, I'm guessing you wouldn't vote green - because that is more of a binary choice (and you wouldn't be alone)

Last edited:
In that instance, as I did when I lived in Fordhouses, I'd vote for whoever was most likely to stop the Tories from winning. It worked too in 2010. Well, in our seat at least. Then the Lib Dems handed power to a party that didn't win an election. But I digress.

But it seems to me that the anti-Starmers hate him so much (no idea why, he's the least offensive man in the world) that they would give the fat drunken cunt a free run, just to prove a point.

It is very odd isn't it. But our electoral system fucks us over as not enough people feel like they have a vote that counts, and few feel like they have that binary choice. Where they do, it'd be interesting to calculate the popular vote difference in just those constituencies - but I don't place it beyond the electorate to still choose BJ. Starmer could potentially help himself by offering policies that are strikingly different but that doesn't really answer your question of why people still vote BJ.

What I do keep reminding myself is opinion polls so far away from a GE really do feel quite meaningless. Kier doesn't need to pop them now, but they'd better have a devastating campaign lined up...

I expected Starmer to do quite well, he clearly hasn't. Obviously for whatever reason he has felt it wasn't right to push against a government in a truly horrendous time, but given that so much of this shit could have been not totally avoided, but heavily mitigated is odd.
He continually rips the PM apart at question time, but our ineffectual speaker fails to hold the fat prick to account.
We have a parliamentary system that is based on gentleman's agreements and honour, but the current party in power have no gentlemen (or gentlewomen) and no honour.

Boris has personal ratings that are bombing though. I think a lot of the electorate has seen through the bumbling facade. Plus Carrie Antoinette is as popular as syphillis.

For the record, I quite like Keir on a personal level. He's not someone with a silver spoon in his mouth, he's deeply intelligent and he believes in the right causes.

"Boris" Johnson is a fraud, a liar, a misogynist, a cheat, a cheapskate, and a racist. Amongst many other flaws. And he's as thick as shit, don't be fooled by his cod Latin.

My question was why Labour-siding people would consider not voting for a decent man (as Starmer is) when if they don't, it means an awful man gets in, and I haven't had an answer yet.

I would obviously rather have Starmer than Johnson just on the basis that I’d rather have glasgowolf as PM. That doesn’t mean starmer is very good. Maybe I’m not looking hard enough but I have no idea what he stands for.

I think he's a centre-leftish man who believes in social justice.

No-one is ever going to find their perfect leader unless they actually are the leader.

The other thing I’m extremely disappointed in is how that duffield hasn’t been suspended. Horrible transphobic woman. Nothing done about it from what I can tell.

I won't defend the behaviour of the Labour Party as a whole over the last decade. I think it's been appalling. And in this instance I totally agree.

I just want the Tories out, they're so shit. We've had 11 years of this nonsense.

I won't defend the behaviour of the Labour Party as a whole over the last decade. I think it's been appalling. And in this instance I totally agree.

I just want the Tories out, they're so shit. We've had 11 years of this nonsense.
I know, I know. It’s horrific. Such a shit state of affairs. I keep trying to convince myself that in time enough of the older vote they get will disappear but this country is just extremely right wing I think

• Sad
Reactions: jlo
It's all moot, but I think Starmer would have been much better in opposition if this plague hadn't descended on us. I also think if Bercow was still speaker he'd also have held all to account more.
But we are where we are, and we'm a wee bit fucked.

For the record, I quite like Keir on a personal level. He's not someone with a silver spoon in his mouth, he's deeply intelligent and he believes in the right causes.

"Boris" Johnson is a fraud, a liar, a misogynist, a cheat, a cheapskate, and a racist. Amongst many other flaws. And he's as thick as shit, don't be fooled by his cod Latin.

My question was why Labour-siding people would consider not voting for a decent man (as Starmer is) when if they don't, it means an awful man gets in, and I haven't had an answer yet.
Seeing as you posed the question on here I assume you are referring to posters on here. I haven’t seen any “Labour siding people” suggest they would not vote for Starmer. You asked a loaded question, aimed it quite generally and then complain that nobody has answered. Who are you waiting to answer you?

But who chooses the speaker? It is a vote of the house. Which has a huge majority.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Starmer ain't anywhere near centre left that's for sure. He's also a terrible leader who seems to think it's 1996. I'll vote Labour next time though.

Starmer picking fights with his own party rather than taking the lead in calling out the shit show of a government.

I lean to the view that I'd sooner have an electable leader rather than one that conforms to all of my ideals but Starmer is currently not meeting either option.

Back