• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Interesting thoughts. I think Patel would be poisonous almost to the level of unelectable so I might disagree on that. I would be surprised if Boris makes an election unless he reverses this poll slump. The 1922 committee aren’t backward in coming forward with a knife for the shoulder blades of an underperforming leader.

For me Starmer stands for competence but I have been underwhelmed by PMQs considering his legal background. I thought he would eviscerate Fat Alex every Wednesday.

I worry that Patel would get the Brexit crowd fully behind her and would appeal to those who are a little fearful of "forriners" (which is ironic given she is a 2nd generation(?) immigrant.)

I agree about Starmer, he seems competent, calm and generally balanced, is that what people like in 2021 Britain though? It should be, but i'm not so sure.

Yeah he does generally "beat" Boris in PMQs, but somehow it doesn't seem to do much damage, although i guess the majority don't give a fuck about PMQs, more's the pity.

I guess we won't really know what he stands for until they release a manifesto? I've got a feeling it won't be all that different to the one Corbyn put to the nation. I don't think most people really start paying attention until the GE campaigning starts do they.

I agree the electorate wanting a change is probably the best chance Labour have as far as I can tell at the moment. The Tories are like a political Hrdra though, you cut the head off and another cunt pops up in its place.

Their problem is Fat Alex culled a lot of their talent. Leaves them with a succession of goons and Brexit drones. If his “likeable idiot” persona (and that’s all for show, it’s calculated) is starting to fail then there isn’t a great deal of appeal.

I noted with great interest Starmer very clearly calling out using the unequivocal word “corruption”. He did it repeatedly. I hope that this is now his time to actually go on the attack. I guess we wait and see.

I guess we won't really know what he stands for until they release a manifesto? I've got a feeling it won't be all that different to the one Corbyn put to the nation. I don't think most people really start paying attention until the GE campaigning starts do they.

I agree the electorate wanting a change is probably the best chance Labour have as far as I can tell at the moment. The Tories are like a political Hrdra though, you cut the head off and another cunt pops up in its place.
Maybe elements of 2017, but 2019 manifesto was a shit show with stuff made up on the go. What will be missing is any commitment to state ownership of transport and utilities, that’s already effectively been confirmed. The 2017 manifesto wasn’t some extreme left set of policies as some revisionists try to make out, it was predominately a social democratic platform which can be found across Europe. The current government’s state intervention policies dwarf anything put forward in that manifesto - but as someone else pointed out, Johnson’s approach is populist and is little more than throwing money at stuff but without any strategy.

Maybe elements of 2017, but 2019 manifesto was a shit show with stuff made up on the go. What will be missing is any commitment to state ownership of transport and utilities, that’s already effectively been confirmed. The 2017 manifesto wasn’t some extreme left set of policies as some revisionists try to make out, it was predominately a social democratic platform which can be found across Europe. The current government’s state intervention policies dwarf anything put forward in that manifesto - but as someone else pointed out, Johnson’s approach is populist and is little more than throwing money at stuff but without any strategy.
Interesting, I'll admit it I don't read the manifestos. For the last two elections I've been on a website which asks you loads of multiple choice questions based on what's in them and tells you who to vote for based on your answers. I've come out heavily Labour in the last two.

Was what I said not true then ?
Technically no, as the role of Prime Minister was (firstly) attributed (to William Pitt) from 1721 onwards.

Last edited:
Macdonald, Attlee, Wilson, Callaghan, Blair, Brown.

Am I right in thinking the ceremonial prime minister only came about in the modernisation of the Westminster system under Pitt. All of the holders of post since Walpole have been first Lord of the Treasury, and calling the early ones Prime Minister is sort of “back dating” the title?

The 2017 and 2019 losses werent down to policies.

Not making your Deputy aware that you are doing a reshuffle whilst she's doing press is either shoddy or unnecessarily wanky

suspect it is option c tbh. if she was aware, she'd face extra questions about what the reshuffle entails.

Won't be popular with some posters, but I like Cooper as Shadow Home Secretary and Nandy at Levelling Up. They both pull media attention in the 2 areas the Tories are most vulnerable.

Back