• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Well he's binned Lavery so that's a decent start

Hands up - I will never vote again but KS is going to have one hell of a job on his hands once the reigns are handed back. The blues will be more than happy to hand the poisoned chalice. As far as borrowing, printing money, debt and credit ratings I think it's fucking hilarious. It's been coming years ...

Good decision by the Labour Party, which in itself is pretty shocking given the control momentum have over the PLP. Hoping his shadow cabinet is representative of the whole party rather than just the absolutely hard core, moronic extreme wing old Jezza led. Will be interesting to see what he does with momentum going forward.

He’s had a good start - hopefully he can help us get to a more mature type of politics where you can disagree with your opponents and explain why rather than just calling them cunts.

Momentum have no control over the PLP. Their strength is in the wider Labour membership.

I hope Starmer will make the shadow cabinet a truly broad church. Emma Reynolds would have been a candidate for a great post but Corbynism means she is doing something else while a Conservative drone is in parliament representing Pendeford.

He’s had a good start - hopefully he can help us get to a more mature type of politics where you can disagree with your opponents and explain why rather than just calling them cunts.

THIS. All of it.

The days of confrontational politics really need to be done.

Momentum have no control over the PLP. Their strength is in the wider Labour membership.

I hope Starmer will make the shadow cabinet a truly broad church. Emma Reynolds would have been a candidate for a great post but Corbynism means she is doing something else while a Conservative drone is in parliament representing Pendeford.

You probably know better than I - but I thought the NEC decided on most of the staffing of the PLP and the NEC was largely controlled by momentum?

hopefully he can help us get to a more mature type of politics where you can disagree with your opponents and explain why rather than just calling them cunts.

In my life it is very rare I have met a complete expert on anything least of all on a Wolves message forum. I watch politcial interviews from years ago and they are completely different.

You probably know better than I - but I thought the NEC decided on most of the staffing of the PLP and the NEC was largely controlled by momentum?

Errr - I'm hardly a labour party expert!!

The PLP as I think of it those who are still in seats. And to be honest there are large tranches of "not momentum" labour MPs left.

Thank the maker.

Shadow
Foreign Sec Nandy
Chancellor Anneliese Dodds
Home Sec Nick Thomas-Symonds

Don't know anything about the latter two

my interpretation is that the NEC runs the Labour Party - so they hire the staff, organise conferences, agree who can be a new MP etc. The Labour Party leader then leads the MP’s and sets the direction of travel, but that is still dependent on what is voted through at the Labour Party conference.

That’s what I think makes KS job tough, as he can only choose his shadow cabinet from MP’s, and the recent batch have only been allowed in if they fit the NEC’s (and therefore momentum’s) view of what an MP should look like. His advisors etc also have to go through the NEC vetting.

I could be wrong though, and they not have as much power as I think - I do think an interesting power struggle is ahead though.

The CLPs pick the candidates.

But they pick from a shortlist provided by the NEC, right?

Don’t think so. They quite regularly send emails around asking people if they want to be candidates. Main preference seems to go to people living in the constituency.

The Labour Party has made a last-minute change to how it will select its candidates for the next general election, in a boost for Jeremy Corbyn’s hopes of permanently changing the balance of the parliamentary party.

In a move that will favour candidates with strong ties to unions and to the Labour leadership, Labour has decided that its ruling National Executive Committee (NEC) will now shortlist candidates directly

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...iamentary-selection-rules-boost-jeremy-corbyn

A new, fast-tracked parliamentary selection process has been agreed by Labour’s national executive committee (NEC) that will see the ruling body take partial control over contests for candidates.

Labour’s NEC officers decided on Monday that the NEC would draw up long-lists of potential parliamentary candidates ahead of the next election, then mixed panels – comprised of NEC, regional board and local party representatives – would establish shortlists.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/labo...on-process-agreed-by-labours-ruling-body/?amp

The Labour Party has made a last-minute change to how it will select its candidates for the next general election, in a boost for Jeremy Corbyn’s hopes of permanently changing the balance of the parliamentary party.

In a move that will favour candidates with strong ties to unions and to the Labour leadership, Labour has decided that its ruling National Executive Committee (NEC) will now shortlist candidates directly

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...iamentary-selection-rules-boost-jeremy-corbyn

A new, fast-tracked parliamentary selection process has been agreed by Labour’s national executive committee (NEC) that will see the ruling body take partial control over contests for candidates.

Labour’s NEC officers decided on Monday that the NEC would draw up long-lists of potential parliamentary candidates ahead of the next election, then mixed panels – comprised of NEC, regional board and local party representatives – would establish shortlists.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/labo...on-process-agreed-by-labours-ruling-body/?amp

Blairism saw a shift away from Trade Union power. Blairism was mass rejected. I always thought the Labour Party was entwined with the Trades Unions - else the term NEW Labour. Is KS NEW NEW Labour or NEW Momentum. Answers on a postcard to ....

I've never been particularly interested in the minutiae of selection, even when I was a member. But there's clearly been something amiss for a while, I mean Jared O'Mara got a gig not so long back. Would have taken about three minutes in the real world to see he wasn't even vaguely suitable.

Whenever the hard (you could possibly read cultist) left have had their chance to be near the seat of power, they've made fools of themselves. Not all of their ideals are wrong and you can't just dismiss an entire tranche of the party. But look, you had the last five years to make your case and manifestly failed to do so, pipe down.

I think a lot of the time they’re not exactly overflowing with people wanting to stand.

Essentially you are going to have 6 months with no pay, followed by potentially a salary less than a lot of professionals could make elsewhere. It lends itself to lots of inexperienced privately wealthy ideologues applying.

True. Plus a load of seats where you can stand if you like, but you know you have a <1% chance of winning right from the outset.

Back