• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Keir Starmer at it again..

Still remember it now, that walk to Downing Street, after suffering all those years of Thatcherism it was one of the happiest days of my life.
Can imagine it will be the same for younger people this time around - 12 years of the worst possible government possible.

That's the thing, the current polling is even more damning of the Tories now than it was back then. Starmer's on course to do better than Blair despite nobody being particularly invested in him as a person or his "project".

Can imagine it will be the same for younger people this time around - 12 years of the worst possible government possible.
To get the Tories out, for sure, will be a relief.

I’m not that optimistic of what a Starmer government can do for the poor in this country but I’ll be glad to have at least somewhat serious people in government.

To get the Tories out, for sure, will be a relief.

I’m not that optimistic of what a Starmer government can do for the poor in this country but I’ll be glad to have at least somewhat serious people in government.
I was more interested in what younger people think ;)

Tbf - I’m not sure it was that different with Blair, there were many many Pecks at the time complaining he was a red Tory etc.

I've used the analogy before but it feels a bit like going directly from Saunders to Jackett. Is he exciting, no, is he a brilliant manager, no, but by Christ it'll be good not to have to listen to and observe total fucking nonsense every single day.

We've had five PMs since May 2010 and each of them has a reasonable claim on being legitimately one of the worst ever, and it's not even recency bias at work there.

It’s a little odd - a Biography of Starmer is being serialised in the Times (odd in itself) there are numerous of his friends and family who say in private he is not the boring person he professes as a politician. Perhaps he recognises the want for a boring lead.

Tbf - I’m not sure it was that different with Blair, there were many many Pecks at the time complaining he was a red Tory etc.
I think the response from the left of the Party is the same, even moreso from the PLP given it's makeup at the time. My sense is the electorate were more pro Blair than they are Starmer, with a similar amount of Tory hatred.

People talked about Johnson as connecting with the public as "you could go for a drink with him" (as if he'd be anything other than awful company, the stinking cunt). Same with Farage.

Starmer is a bloke with working class origins who got where he did professionally through hard work, plays 5 a side with his mates and has a beer after, goes to watch his team as a normal fan. Yet he's portrayed somehow as out of touch.

I'm very much in wait and see mode with him, I don't see the value of trashing him in advance. If he's crap as PM I'll say so.

Touché! I should change my name really

I think society has changed since 1997. Folk used to be reasonably fair minded whereas now you have to be pro or anti something with little or nothing in between. Approval ratings for politicians reflect this.

I think society has changed since 1997. Folk used to be reasonably fair minded whereas now you have to be pro or anti something with little or nothing in between. Approval ratings for politicians reflect this.
Yes definitely, however politicians have done little to help with this, the quality and sincerity of politicians seems to have fallen off a cliff since that era.

And it wasn't great then.

Blair had 30% approval ratings running up to 97 GE. Starmer's at 4 I think. Maybe less.

Yes definitely, however politicians have done little to help with this, the quality and sincerity of politicians seems to have fallen off a cliff since that era.

And it wasn't great then.
100%

We've had administrative politicians who primarily see it as a career slowly managing a decline in our living standards. All they seem to believe in now is the flag and stopping nasty immigrants.

I'm very much in wait and see mode with him, I don't see the value of trashing him in advance. If he's crap as PM I'll say so.

Don't get this tbh. He's a public figure and PM in waiting. Nothing wrong with criticising him now. There's already plenty of material.

Back