• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

League without the top 6

It would be a very dull season if all we ever did was beat who we were supposed to, and lost to teams who are objectively better than us. It's basically West Ham under Curbishley when they never moved from between 8th and 12th for an entire season.

From what I can work out, Cyber wants Wolves games to be like a Movie he has watched a 100 times. He knows how they end, so no surprises or twists.

I guess the only benefit from that would be bookies would stop taking £1 off me every now and again as the odds would be so shit it wouldnt worth betting.

Sorry mate but this makes no sense!

I'm going to remember us beating Chelsea, Spurs, United/Liverpool in the cup and hopefully Arsenal this season. Magnificent times. Taking on the best and duffing them up, winning deservedly. Beating Cardiff and Burnley away, Huddersfield at home...I've seen all that before. It means bugger all. They're shite. The points earned are exactly the same. Why would you prioritise the crap games over the big ones in a binary choice (as you've made it there).

Well its just me then. In sport I always want to test against the best. If you can beat the best, you should be able to beat the rest. This year we have proudly stood toe to toe with big hitters in the top 6 and won yet at the same time been beaten , and convincingly so , by some average or worse.

To me its like a cruiserweight boxer who knocks out three or four world class heavyweights then loses on points to 4 middleweights. It doesn't compute.

Not sure that it matters (for this season) who we got points off

We are where we are & it's a better place than I expected at this point - if we want to go higher then would agree we need to deal with this, but it was unlikely to happen in the first year here.

The team & coaching staff are still learning what they need to do to be consistent & succsful (& need to allow for the monetary issues that occur in the PL)

Hold up, "beaten convincingly"?

Brighton - lost 1-0 with their only shot on target, we had a nailed on pen turned down and missed tons of chances. Stupid result in a game we dominated
Southampton - not beaten us
Burnley - again had one shot on target. We weren't very good and you can easily argue we didn't deserve anything, but convincing it was not
Cardiff - opening goal is a foul and then a wonderstrike. We were crap, they weren't much better
Fulham - not beaten us
Huddersfield - I'll give you the game at Molineux, they played well and 2-0 was about fair. The away game was shocking from both teams

West Ham, Bournemouth and Newcastle haven't beaten us. That leaves Palace at home where their fans were barracking their manager until they scored in the last 10 minutes...with an offside goal.

That's the entire bottom half.

Cyber your point about being underwhelming against bottom teams is correct. But then you go and blow any credibility going on about rather lose to these and beat these etc.

Hold up, "beaten convincingly"?

Brighton - lost 1-0 with their only shot on target, we had a nailed on pen turned down and missed tons of chances. Stupid result in a game we dominated
Southampton - not beaten us
Burnley - again had one shot on target. We weren't very good and you can easily argue we didn't deserve anything, but convincing it was not
Cardiff - opening goal is a foul and then a wonderstrike. We were crap, they weren't much better
Fulham - not beaten us
Huddersfield - I'll give you the game at Molineux, they played well and 2-0 was about fair. The away game was shocking from both teams

Never looked like beating Burnley, Huddersfield or Fulham in those games. Perhaps convincing is a stretch but then I would argue that convincing would describe our wins v Liverpool masn utd Chelsea and spurs. Also deserved.

We did not deserve to win any of the games I highlight

Cyber your point about being underwhelming against bottom teams is correct. But then you go and blow any credibility going on about rather lose to these and beat these etc.
Thanks.

So why are so many denying it?

To me its like a cruiserweight boxer who knocks out three or four world class heavyweights then loses on points to 4 middleweights. It doesn't compute.

Then football isn't for you.

How do Non League teams knock out Football League teams. How do Burton Albion get to a Semi Final of a major cup comp. Doesn't matter *what* should happen if it did we might as well all go home and sit staring out of the window.

I would argue we should have won at Fulham. Another nonsense non-penalty, their goal was their only shot in the whole second half and we totally dominated after the break.

We absolutely were convincing at Spurs, all over them to the point where Kane's goal came out of absolutely nowhere and Rui had virtually nothing to do after that. Ditto United in the cup, check Romero's highlight reel from that game compared to Ruddy's (basically he doesn't have one, a shot goes past him and that's it).

Then football isn't for you.

How do Non League teams knock out Football League teams. How do Burton Albion get to a Semi Final of a major cup comp. Doesn't matter *what* should happen if it did we might as well all go home and sit staring out of the window.

Oh I get that shocks happen, one offs blkah blah. You ignore 3 away defeats to the current bottom four by the same side unbeaten by 5 of the top 6 away. It defies logic

Oh I get that shocks happen, one offs blkah blah. You ignore 3 away defeats to the current bottom four by the same side unbeaten by 5 of the top 6 away. It defies logic

It doesn't really. It just sums up the game and the season where we sit and watch Wolves do what they have done this season with added wins against the "others" then I will look forward to watching us in the Champs League the following season.

It doesn't really. It just sums up the game and the season where we sit and watch Wolves do what they have done this season with added wins against the "others" then I will look forward to watching us in the Champs League the following season.

I hope you're right. Sunday is the chance to take a step that way

I hope you're right. Sunday is the chance to take a step that way

Sunday is a 50/50 game. I doubt even the bookies will have much between the teams on their odds (haven't looked). There isn't even a should happen on this game.

We are marginal favourites with the bookies on Sunday. But there's not much in it. A handful are offering slightly over 2/1 on Watford to win in 90 minutes, for reference you can find plenty of places offering 3/1 on us to win tomorrow.

Us and Watford have been very close all season.

We are as close to Cardiff points wise as we are Chelsea. We may be a place off the Top 6 in the table, but points show us we are as close to going down as we are to breaking into it in reality. We are a decent team in the middle of the field, it kind of holds water therefore that we get some decent and poor results against sides throughout the table.

We are set up by and large to hit sides on the counter, you don't get so many opportunities to do that against teams looking to protect their goal. If we played differently, say a conventional 442 with overlapping full backs we probably would have had more success against some of those lower table sides most notably Huddersfield, equally it's unlikely we would have got as many points from the better ones. Anything else is just overthinking it.

Fucking hell this is tedious.

I'll also look forward to watching us when we have a "proper striker" rather than the current joker in the number 9 shirt with his measly 15 goals.

We are as close to Cardiff points wise as we are Chelsea. We may be a place off the Top 6 in the table, but points show us we are as close to going down as we are to breaking into it in reality. We are a decent team in the middle of the field, it kind of holds water therefore that we get some decent and poor results against sides throughout the table.

We are set up by and large to hit sides on the counter, you don't get so many opportunities to do that against teams looking to protect their goal. If we played differently, say a conventional 442 with overlapping full backs we probably would have had more success against some of those lower table sides most notably Huddersfield, equally it's unlikely we would have got as many points from the better ones. Anything else is just overthinking it.

Yes, we are inconsistent. Like all mid-table teams (and mid-table here is about 7th to 13th).

The difference is we haven't spent the amounts to get to that level as West Ham, Everton and to a lesser extent Leicester and Bournemouth have. So when we do get to spend that kind of money (which we can eventually if and when we stay in the PL for a while, assuming FFP rules stay the same) then you would trust our recruiting staff - at the higher level - to do better than those teams have and then you can have a tilt.

To expect it to be done in a year is just unrealistic and the handwringing after every defeat is silly in context.

Fucking hell this is tedious.

+ 100, don't think I'll bother with this again

The most succesful season we have had for far longer than I can remember (though I do sometimes have a problem with last week) & we are still bitching about random poor results.

When we came up I suspected that we would have nights like that - didn't expect to beat Spurs away that easily & have a night v MU like that in the Q/F

Can someone do me a league table showing our current position but only against the teams we've played so far, regardless of their position, just base it, I don't know, say 31 games so far, obviously don't include the 7 games we've yet to play as I don't want to skew the data.

Back