• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (A) 10/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s rubbish. We all still have to go to work, life goes on in almost every other way. Also, If people really do feel that they don’t want to attend the games out of respect that should be the choice of the individual.
They'll be plenty of people out of pocket this weekend and many businesses who rely on sport to make a living (pubs, coach companies ect) will be hit hard.

They'll be plenty of people out of pocket this weekend and many businesses who rely on sport to make a living (pubs, coach companies ect) will be hit hard.
Loads of hospitality staff on zero hours too. No money for you then.

Being at a football game this weekend was pretty much the only chance you would get to sing the national anthem in a crowd to pay your respects to a person who has given their life to serve a country. No one but no one is standing up at home to sing it, and no one (football fan) outside of the home counties is going to London to do it either.
To deny ten of 1000's of people the chance to do that is really shocking based on what a couple of rag newspapers would say. I know it's probably not the only reason, but to even have that as a legitimate concern is beyond the pale for me.

All grassroots football binned off this weekend, and our local league has gone a step further and asked us not to have junior teams to have training sessions due to "public perception" - absurd decisions

Being at a football game this weekend was pretty much the only chance you would get to sing the national anthem in a crowd to pay your respects to a person who has given their life to serve a country. No one but no one is standing up at home to sing it, and no one (football fan) outside of the home counties is going to London to do it either.
To deny ten of 1000's of people the chance to do that is really shocking based on what a couple of rag newspapers would say. I know it's probably not the only reason, but to even have that as a legitimate concern is beyond the pale for me.
Agree with you. However we did see people standing to boo footballers taking the knee, which shows the potential reaction.

Loads of hospitality staff on zero hours too. No money for you then.
Yeah, Mrs jelly is on a zero hours contract & was at work yesterday afternoon & evening & they cancelled 3 events plus a film screening. Fortunately they're a generally positive employer & will cover the hours she was due to do.
Brum Town Hall & symphony Hall events went ahead tho.
Also just had confirmation the Adam kay show we're going to tomorrow is going ahead.

All grassroots football binned off this weekend, and our local league has gone a step further and asked us not to have junior teams to have training sessions due to "public perception" - absurd decisions
That's getting a bit much! Have been dreading our bowls match tomorrow being called off, as we'd have issues rearranging it. Am relatively pleased our WhatsApp group hasn't had anyone asking if it is off.

I mean I was going out for a curry tomorow night but suppose I better sack that off too? Not on your nelly! Is anyone actually making that kind of call on a personal level do we think? Sorry friends, not meeting up tonight because….well you know.

It makes no sense.

And I actually will miss her, in the way I would miss a favourite great aunt.

It’s a reaction because people are scared of offending. I get that. It’s unfortunate. But a modicum of sanity might not go amiss. The place can’t grind to a halt. The monarchy hasn’t.

Agree with you. However we did see people standing to boo footballers taking the knee, which shows the potential reaction.
It's a fair point. In general the boo boys get out shouted by decent people though.

I would have no problem with postponing matches this weekend and next due to the proximity to the funeral.

But when other sports are allowed to continue, it doesn't seem right.

Quite why there hasn't been a uniform decision is beyond me.

Does William still have his figurehead role at the FA? Could see the board deciding to postpone out of respect for him if so.

Because Truss.

Following on from the dick before, decisions that might be unpopular are scary.

10 days. Not sure I'd need that long to mourn some immediate family. Bit of a joke.

It was always going to be this way though, personally football in most cities & towns is the biggest communal event every fortnight so I find it it really disappointing that people aren’t allowed to come together it’s also probably the one opportunity that they’re able to show respect.
Problem is football and football fans get a really unfair view from the non footballing community.

From the outside, looks like your government wants everyone to act like Queen Elizabeth raised each of you personally from her own bosom.

It’s a bit weird.
From a country who's flag cannot touch the floor but you can wear it next to your junk when its printed on shorts and wipe squirty cheese off your face when you print it on serviettes ?
Also from a country that refuses to believe you can change something that's called an amendment ? :)
What you hold close to your heart often seems odd to others

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back