• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2014/15 Season

Clarke was about £500k, the same as we paid for Golbourne and McDonald.

I thought it was reported as ~£750k at the time? That's why I seperated it as a top 3, if he was only on a par with the two you mention then 3 from 5 looks much more encouraging. The Saville one will still leave a bad taste though after a 7 figure fee.

I always took Clarke's signing as a very specific means to an end though, which was a success lest we forget, so I'd be inclined to discount him in this kind of analysis.

Clarke didn't really contribute to that success though did he? He was a passenger really, Ricketts is a far better example of the short term, means to an end signing especially so given he cost nothing up front.

I think it was initially £250k and then extra £500k if certain targets were hit.

Clarke didn't really contribute to that success though did he? He was a passenger really, Ricketts is a far better example of the short term, means to an end signing especially so given he cost nothing up front.

He was given a 1.5 year deal, so definitely short term planning.

He was given a 1.5 year deal, so definitely short term planning.

He was obviously short term thinking but he still wasn't a success, whereas as Ricketts was, Clarke just happened to be around while Wolves were promoted, Ricketts featured heavily in winning promotion. I wouldn't class Clarke as a success just because he was given a short contract.

There's no getting away from it, Clarke was a horrendous signing. It was so obvious on every level that we shouldn't have bothered with him, there was overwhelming evidence that he was utterly useless above L1, we only ever had eyes on a one year stay there, he is too old to improve, so it has proven.

All managers make bad signings somewhere along the line though. It doesn't even matter what structure you have in place to try to eliminate those errors, they just happen. Newcastle's scouting system has been oft lauded over the past 4-5 years (rightly so as well) but they signed Riviere and Ferreyra this summer, a grand total of 0 Premier League goals between them, as well as permacrock De Jong who rarely stayed fit for Ajax. Southampton are everyone's current poster boys, not too clever at picking centre halves though it seems as Gardos and Forren show. Ramirez and Osvaldo were expensive disasters as well.

The campaign.

Yes but he said Clarke's signing was a means to an end, the goal was achieved so Clarke can be brushed under the rug sort of thinking, I disagree, if he'd come in and got 5-10 goals then fair enough but he didn't, he was signing to help Wolves get promoted but he didn't, the fact that they got promoted anyway doesn't make Clarke's signing look any better on reflection, he was a complete waste of money.

Yes but he said Clarke's signing was a means to an end, the goal was achieved so Clarke can be brushed under the rug sort of thinking, I disagree, if he'd come in and got 5-10 goals then fair enough but he didn't, he was signing to help Wolves get promoted but he didn't, the fact that they got promoted anyway doesn't make Clarke's signing look any better on reflection, he was a complete waste of money.

If we scrape into the play offs and then go up, the two winners he got at Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday (albeit winners that any one of us would have buried but I wouldn't stretch as far as to say that Jake Cassidy would have!) it will be money well spent.

Otherwise a disaster.

Clarke was just necessary cover at that level, as it turned out Dicko never got injured and he wasn't required but it was clear why he was bought.

That we didn't sign another striker in the summer was poor but that has been solved with Afobe now here.

Clarke was just necessary cover at that level, as it turned out Dicko never got injured and he wasn't required but it was clear why he was bought.

That we didn't sign another striker in the summer was poor but that has been solved with Afobe now here.

Generally agree although I wouldn't say not signing a striker in the summer was poor as I think the plan all along was for one of Sagbo/Graham/whoever else it might have been to come in and do better than they did in reality in then sign permanently.

As it is we're probably better off with Afobe anyway.

A round-up of the midweek fixtures;

Clarke played the full game and had a goal disallowed for Wigan. They're surely doomed now. Jacobs managed an ineffective hour for Blackpool who are even more doomed.

Cassidy got a token 5 minutes for Southend and Reid managed 80 for Telford. Both teams lost as well.

Saville and Cassidy were unused subs.

Thanks for the updates Sedgley but don't forget Ashley Carter who is currently benchwarming at Chesterfield.

Thanks for the updates Sedgley but don't forget Ashley Carter who is currently benchwarming at Chesterfield.

This ties in with the mistake that Kenny highlighted.

Should have read - Saville and Carter were unused subs.

Nothing gets past you lot, eh?!

How long was Carter even on our books before we loaned him out?

Donkeys years, he games through the Academy as a schoolboy

Good luck to him. Coming towards the end of the season that's a very good signing for them, I would think.

From this weekend:

Sounds like Leon Clarke was making a nuisance of himself against this weekend by hitting the bar and getting a goal disallowed in his full 90 against Bolton. Jacobs put in a decent 90 minutes too as Blackpool ended their losing streak at home to Leeds.

Cassidy and Carter were unused subs, while Saville enjoyed his first professional experience of Wembley from his usual vantag point of the subs' bench.

No game for Reid as Telford didn't play.

Back