• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loan Watch 2020-2021

Could probably be a 5th choice type squad player, if we loaned/sold Kilman. Think better for him to continue playing football though, I'm sure Sunderland would want him again.

It's great reading rave reviews on any loan player, but I agree with you here about continuing getting game time.

Need to be cautious as it's a big leap from killing it in L1 or even the Championship to coming into an ambitious PL team. Next season we want to get back to hanging around 6th-8th as opposed to 12th-15th, difficult for young lads to break in unless they're exceptional.

Shame we couldn't have left MGW on loan for the rest of the season too rather than him getting splinters here, although I can see why we recalled him at the time

Not surprised Sanderson is getting good reviews from Sunderland - the Cardiff fans said he was alright last season and that was in the Championship! Quite disappointed we didn't get him a move to a Championship club, tbh. He has to be a better centre half/RB/RWB than some of the cloggers floating around at that level - but at least he is getting games now and I'm pleased he's doing well.

From the weekend:

Ryan Giles - Rotherham, Championship

Played a full game in a 1-0 defeat at Norwich. Appears to be on corners now and swung a couple of dangerous ones in,

Matija Sarkic - Shrewsbury Town, League One

Played in a 1-1 draw at Accrington - not much he could about the goal, a volley that fizzed past him

Dion Sanderson - Sunderland, League One

A full game and a MOTM performance in a 3-0 win.

Rafa Mir - Huesca, La Liga

A full game in which he missed a pen, as mentioned, smacking it off the post. Did well to pressure the defender for the OG, too. A huge win that puts them within a couple of points of 17th.

Ruben Vinagre - Famalicao, Portuguese Primeira Liga

No news on the head injury and straight back in for a full 90 in a 1-0 win at Rio Ave. Went down clutching his head again after an opponent caught his jaw with his boot, an incident that resulted in a red. Good work from him down the left led to the goal, too.

Christian Herc - M.K. Karvina, Czech Super League

A full game and another goal for Herc to make it 1-1 against Liberec.

Grasshoppers, Swiss Challenge League (second tier)

Gomes got his usual full game although was outrisen for a header in the build-up to a goal conceded. Bonatini and Ronan came on after 75 and 86 minutes respectively. Finished 1-1.

On as sub: Shabani came on for the last 20 minutes for VVV Venlo in a 4-1 loss at home to AZ.

Unused subs: Matheson, Cutrone

Not in squad: Pardington, Jordao, Campana.

Last edited:
Dongda He joins Beijing Sinobo Guoan on loan

From this weekend:

Ryan Giles - Rotherham, Championship

Played 66 minutes of a 1-0 defeat at home to Reading.

Matija Sarkic - Shrewsbury Town, League One

Lost 2-1 at Bristol Rovers - could have been worse as he made a couple of excellent stops to keep them in it.

Dion Sanderson - Sunderland, League One

Played another full game at Crewe and stopped two certain goals, one with a header off the line (although the chance came from his lapse in concentration) and a great sliding block. Finished 2-2.

Rafa Mir - Huesca, La Liga

Played 88 minutes of a 1-1 draw at Eibar but had a quiet game.

Meritan Shabani - VVV Venlo, Dutch Eredivisie

Made his first start at Vitesse on the right of a front three. Had a shot on target from a free kick but was subbed later on as his team lost 4-1.

Ruben Vinagre - Famalicao, Portuguese Primeira Liga

Played a full game vs Farense and was brought down when through on goal which resulted in a red card. Couldn't make it count however and finished goalless.

Christian Herc - M.K. Karvina, Czech Super League

Played a full game in a 2-0 defeat.

Grasshoppers, Swiss Challenge League (second tier)
Burr and Gomes got a full game, while Ronan played 75 minutes in a 1-1 draw. Bonatini came on with 15 to go to grab the equaliser, a tap-in after the keeper spilled Gomes's 30-yard effort.

On as sub: Cutrone came on for the last 10 minutes in a 3-0 defeat.

Not in squad: Matheson, Pardington, Jordao, Campana.

A quick midweek update:

Dion Sanderson got another full game and another MOTM award in a 1-0 win - looks like he's playing in a back 4 rather than a 3. Interesting.

Ryan Giles played 76 minutes of a 2-1 win at Wednesday to help put them within a win of Blues with 2 games in hand, while Sarkic played in a 1-1 draw, letting in a short-range goal he probably should have kept out.

Meritan Shabani got his first full game for VVV, playing in a 2-0 cup defeat at Vitesse.

In Switzerland, Leo grabbed another goal, heading in a fine goal on the run. Anyone interested in seeing a Brazilian Wolves forward in something resembling form, check out the vid at around 40 seconds:

Burr and Gomes got full games, while Ronan came on for the last half an hour.

Last edited:
I’d completely written Sanderson off, but pretty much every time he has played for Cardiff or Sunderland he’s had excellent reviews. That’s despite having played very little first team football anywhere. At which point does this become too glaring to be ignored?

Here's the thing, we can welcome him back into the squad, or hope that our summer recruitment puts our defensive unit out of his reach, talent-wise, for now at least.

If Sunderland are promoted, I'd happily see him back there for another season.

Last few weeks he has started to add a few more £ to his transfer fee

We will have a year option. No rush to be selling.

Nearly 22 by the time next season comes around so he isn’t making it here. But a successful loan to the championship will significantly boost his value. L1 teams don’t have any money.

Nearly 22 by the time next season comes around so he isn’t making it here. But a successful loan to the championship will significantly boost his value. L1 teams don’t have any money.
I'm not so sure, the first decent run he's had in a first team and he's smashing it. We don't know what his ceiling is. Agree that he needs a loan to the championship next season and see where he's at.

Whilst he is unlikely to make it here not many CHs are established in top half PL teams at 23 so still a little time left for him to prove himself. It’s a shame he’s spent a lot of his development playing on the right rather than in the centre.

I'm not so sure, the first decent run he's had in a first team and he's smashing it. We don't know what his ceiling is. Agree that he needs a loan to the championship next season and see where he's at.
I don’t know what his ceiling is. without knowing the ins and outs, surely there is a reason why he’s only just getting a proper go?

Danny Batth was one of the best CBs in the league at a younger age. EEL and Stearman were good as well!

I will say with 99% confidence he will not make it here based on history and the evidence I have available.

Back