• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Whilst you are correct GO could’ve easily gone is and tried to change everything.

Let’s just give credit where it’s due, and it was a decent performance
Credit to him for not changing things I guess. What that tells us is he's not a crazed megalomaniac, which is nice.

It's actually a good management. Hopefully he can build on the solid foundation he's inherited.

Thoroughly enjoyed the performance if not the result. We continued our form from pre-season and the tail end of last season into a difficult opening day fixture and on another day would've walked away with a deserved 3 points. We're a dynamic, athletic side who are tactically fluid while maintaining a clear identity.

I really hope none of the key players who featured today aren't flogged off by Fosun before the end of the window. There's something there to work with and the squad is thin enough now that any departures could make a big difference.

Not going to get drawn into the pointless debate about who deserves more credit for the performance out of Lopetegui & O'Neil, they both deserve credit.

Really excited to see how players like Neto, Gomes & Matheus get on this season. Cunha as well, he looked like an absolute superstar tonight. I'm not worried about the chances he missed, if he keeps getting himself in those positions, and he will, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll end up with a respectable goal tally come the end of the season.

Credit to him for not changing things I guess. What that tells us is he's not a crazed megalomaniac, which is nice.

It's actually a good management. Hopefully he can build on the solid foundation he's inherited.
Maybe Hobbs was impressed with the interview he gave that he wants to play a similar style. Who knows.

I think we can all agree that tonight was positive and hopefully things continue in that vein

I think this is a fair point. However, those (not saying you) who have rightly criticised the appointment due to the limited sample he has, also have to give him an ounce of credit by the same metric, surely
I thought he came across well after the game, and given performance and events he’ll get a much improved reception Saturday. He’s played a part in earning that, within the very limited parameters he’s had to operate in so far.

Bollocks dissent!!!!
That was bullshit too.

AWB made a reallynbad challenge, didn't get booked. 2 mins later Neto whispers something at the linesman. Yellow card.

It's bullshit that dissent is deemed worse than a bad challenge, or that Anthony didn't get booked for shirt tugging.

The sooner a manager of Wolves plays Cunha behind/with a striker the sooner we might actually score a goal.
I know he didn't score but in a very short cameo, Fabio found himself in decent positions and showed that killer instinct to get shots off.

With Cunha's guile and endeavour and Fabio's strength and positioning, it's potentially a half decent partnership.

Can see why O'Neil impressed Hobbs... Said all the right things post-match, forthright about the penalty and injustice but not whinging, diplomatic about our transfer situation, rightly praised the great away support...needs to get the same level of performance at Molineux next weekend now
GON will storm the first three games (but lose them all 1-0) and collapse into abject dismal failure. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before…

Does Sasa take pens? The only other option on the pitch at the time that I can think of

Not that it matters much but Bournemouth fans on their forum pretty much solid in saying that Wolves were robbed tonight, and that Gary O’Neil came across as an excellent ambassador for the club in his post match interview.

Clearly there is a lot to build on from tonight, but pity it’s Brighton next up, as we rarely do well against them, even when they’re crap, and they’re anything but that at the moment.

We so much need a goal.

Excellent team performance except for Sa, as flaky as ever and Sarabia who I find totally underwhelming. I think the flak towards RAN is a bit unfair, Antony and Wan-Bissaka were a constant threat down the right wing and Killman was just Killman. A promising start but we must bear in mind that GO will adjust tactics depending on the opposition, so it won`t be like that every match. We should be used to VAR now after last season, it won`t be the last decision to go against us this season. Cunha is a definite No. 10 and needs a striker in front of him.

That was bullshit too.

AWB made a reallynbad challenge, didn't get booked. 2 mins later Neto whispers something at the linesman. Yellow card.

It's bullshit that dissent is deemed worse than a bad challenge, or that Anthony didn't get booked for shirt tugging.
I don't disagree with dissent being punished. It should be and I think the ref got that right. It affects all refs down the whole pyramid.

I agree with you on the Antony and AWB challenges and also RAN should've been booked for pulling Antony's shirt.

I don't agree with the time wasting on a throw in being punished. That was daft

GON will storm the first three games (but lose them all 1-0) and collapse into abject dismal failure. Stop me if you’ve heard this one before…
In all honesty I think you’re wrong there, but time will tell.
I think we will do alright with O’Neil as coach.

GO showed a lot of guts with that approach. Lose heavily and pressure is x 10. Still don't mean he'll succeed but at least he ain't scared to go for it.

Back