• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Molineux Extension

Isn’t that the maxium we could achieve in Molineuxs current location

No

Google Maps is your friend. Have a look at the footprint of Old Trafford or the Emirates. You can actually fit a LOT of stadium into our footprint (obviously without car parking or the like, but just to show what could be fitted in)

It would definitely require a full teardown and rebuild of Molineux, but you could theoretically mimic the Big House in Ann Arbor, Michigan, which is actually sunken into the ground a bit to accommodate the 100,000 capacity.

Wonder if the local area would cope with an extra 20k every matchday? My go-to car parking spot for last 20 years has been found out this season. Can’t turn up 10mins before kickoff anymore.

Same here,my spot for years has come under threat this season...used to do the walk back on our own and now it seems everyone parks that way.

From the other side the Science Park is getting more difficult to park now if you turn up an hour before the game.

Fosun have said that the South Bank won't be done next season. Even if we go up at the end of this. We have to go up, then stay up. Then it'll be considered.
The land at the back of the South Bank is owned by Carillion who are in Administration, so how complex will that be to get our hands on that?
Point is, if we have to wait 2 years, wont the whole debate on free standing have come on a bit?
If that becomes the largest single tiered stand in the country AND we'll get all of it full of standing fans, it'll be like it used to be when I went and stood in it. Fantastic!

Apart from that, why would they have to close the bottom bit if they're extending/building the new one behind it, apart from doing a new roof?

They wouldn't. All the exits are to the sides so I can't see a problem really. Do the roof change over a close season having built the stand behind during the year. It worked for Liverpool.

So doesn't that negate the argument of losing all the revenue by closing the whole end?
I wonder if they could get more in if they steepen the angle of the back half?
The view from the back of the old South Bank on a dry dark night under floodlights was stunning.

Does anyone think the free standing argument will make a difference?

Safe standing would be pretty irrelevant, although when people stand anyway and you’re doing a rebuild you may as well make it safe.

So doesn't that negate the argument of losing all the revenue by closing the whole end?
The view from the back of the old South Bank on a dry dark night under floodlights was stunning.

What argument? The point was that doing the South Bank first in this way would mean no loss to capacity, whereas doing the Steve Bull first would leave us 8000 seats down when we are already at pretty much sell out capacity each week.

If if it ever came in safe standing wouldn't make a difference to how a stand is designed. People still get individual ticketed spaces the same distance apart as of there were seats there.

If if it ever came in safe standing wouldn't make a difference to how a stand is designed. People still get individual ticketed spaces the same distance apart as of there were seats there.
Closer together than with seats I think, might even be 2:1.

I don’t see the attraction in the whole safe standing thing, the worlds moved on, have a seat. No being shoved around, kids and shirt people not being able to see, finding it hard to get through crowds so morons piss on the terrace - I don’t get the appeal.

I thought they were the same as seats need to be dropped in for European competition?
Can still put more people in there when it's a standing area. Dortmund get an extra 16000 or so capacity when they've got a terrace opposed to seating, though they have removable seats rather than the rail seating but that still provides opportunity to do similar.

Celtic's is 1:1, don't know about anybody else.

I don’t see the attraction in the whole safe standing thing, the worlds moved on, have a seat. No being shoved around, kids and shirt people not being able to see, finding it hard to get through crowds so morons piss on the terrace - I don’t get the appeal.

Why would safe standing make you piss yourself? There's more room without the seats, not less.

As Deutsch always says, different people want different things from their matchday experience. Personally, I like to stand up, join in with chants, have a proper mental when a goal goes in and generally act like an idiot for 90 minutes. I'm not alone either, as you can see by the popularity of the South Bank, a large percentage of fans prefer to stand up at the football. I don't see anything wrong with giving those fans the chance to do that without having an annoying plastic seat digging into your legs. Nobody is suggesting that every single seat should be torn out though, just that those who wish to stand are allowed to.

At least you can currently stand up in the SB. I got told to sit down in the BQ last home game, even when my seat is on the topmost row. I was even warned to comply immediately as I was being filmed!

Why would safe standing make you piss yourself? There's more room without the seats, not less..

Its not a direct correlation - but when there was standing before, it was a regular event as people couldnt be bothered to wade through the crowd to get to the loo's.

Maybe chavvy morons have higher standards these days...

Its not a direct correlation - but when there was standing before, it was a regular event as people couldnt be bothered to wade through the crowd to get to the loo's.

Maybe chavvy morons have higher standards these days...
People won't be packed in as they were in old fashioned terracing though will they, everyone has an allocated place to stand so getting out to the toilet should be no more difficult that negotiating your way past a row of seats.

Back