• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1 Wolves 1 verdict thread

I said this on the other thread but I’m not too bothered about league position this season as long as we aren’t in a relegation battle, being in Europe and doing well there makes up for worse league form imo. What frustrates me is the lack of pace, intent and intensity in our play in the first half. There doesn’t seem to be much of a plan when we play 3-5-2 other than sit back and hoof it to the front two and hope they produce some magic. There’s no need to play like that against Newcastle. I think we’ll end the season quite strongly once Europe is out of the way and we can play a more settled 11 week in week out. With the way everyone else is playing this season that may well be enough to get around 7th again tbh.

I sound like a broke record but the one time we have started 3-4-3 we have gone and scored first and won the game. We did it against besiktas too but MGW and Neto were rancid. Palace we played really well and we’re unlucky not to go in with a lead and they didn’t have a sniff. Every other game we have been 3-5-2, looked awful and given away goals.

3-5-2 has a place away at Man City. When a team like Saints, Newcastle, is Willing to let you have the ball then it isn’t going to work. It often leaves Neves alone in the middle on the counter and he’s makes Milijas look quick.

We got away with it in midweek as we managed to score 2 goals. We didn’t quite get away with it today. It’s not late to rectify and still have a decent season. I thought this was all obvious before today, but not to Nuno. Surely it must be now.

Agree with this. I wouldn’t be surprised if we played 352 at arsenal and tried to break through Jota and Raul. After that, I think it has to be 343 largely. Neves and Moutinho are more than good enough footballers to play in the two and enable us to retain the ball. I think it might be better for neves too.

I'm beginning to think that the slow paced 3-5-2 in the first half comes from Nuno thinking it's not possible for the team to keep the higher energy 3-4-3 up over 2 games a week.

I'm beginning to think that the slow paced 3-5-2 in the first half comes from Nuno thinking it's not possible for the team to keep the higher energy 3-4-3 up over 2 games a week.
Agreed. I think it's a game plan. The failure in the gameplan is that we are conceding in the first half.

It’s nothing to do with tempo. You don’t have to run round like a headless chicken. You just have more players as options ahead of the ball, which means you can keep it, control the game, create chances. If anything 3-5-2 sees us run around more as we give away then all with the wingbacks and Moutinho high up the pitch and then they have to sprint back when we get countered on.

He’s trying to keep it tight but it doesn’t work against shit teams. It doesn’t save energy it just makes us throw away points as we’re exposed at the back and create nothing going the other way.

He may well be concerned we would be the same 3-4-3 and both Neves and Moutinho aren't strong or mobile enough against better teams. We need a Saiss or Donck in there for that but against rubbish like Newcastle they're plenty good enough.

I dont think Vinagre would have the space he did without a forward like a Jota or Neto in front of him. Gave him space and made us a threat on both flanks.

I'd like to see more of it.

We have only beaten 1 of the teams below us. Ok we havent lost shed loads but we have spent too much time playing catch up as we have been too negative. Testament that we are one of the best at coming back and getting points. The same personnel in the second half carried 100% more threat due to the tweaks. Doc was great as was Adama. Neto was fine. Dont see what the issue is. He looks a capable deputy for Jota. Donk would be fine at centre back.

We have to start going for some of these teams on their own pitch. A more positive attitude and set up would have won us at least 2 more games this season.

If my aunty etc...

BUT had we beaten Soton and Newcastle, we'd be above Arsenal in 5th now.

Should be the team going forward. Not necessarily for Villa but after that.

Rui

Donk Coady Saiss

Doc Neves Moutinho Jonny

Traore Jimenez Jota

Out all day and just watched the recording. A game we should have won easily. Whoever described Newcastle as ‘dog shit’ was being kind to them. I’m sure others have slated the first half tactics. Same as Thursday – Nuno just got the initial set up wrong. A game we should have won by two or three goals and difficult to say anyone was worth much more than 6 out of 10.

It's strange, almost as if the players need Nuno to give them specific direction on how to overcome the oppo at half time. Is it possible we've got a talented but thick-as-pig-shit side?

That's the problem with only having a day or two preparation. Newcastle had a week to prepare for us

Not read the whole thread but way way too conservative.

We are better than sides like Newcastle. We have to believe in it.

3-4-3 today we probably win. In the end a desperate first half means we need to settle for a draw.

Love Nuno, but I really think he needs to believe in his team a bit more.

Not read the whole thread but way way too conservative.

We are better than sides like Newcastle. We have to believe in it.

3-4-3 today we probably win. In the end a desperate first half means we need to settle for a draw.

Love Nuno, but I really think he needs to believe in his team a bit more.

Sometimes think he needs to gamble more as well. Beat Saints, lose to Newcastle (or vice-versa) and we are a point better off.

Conversely, next week 3-5-2 is the right approach. Genuinely every chance of taking something off Arsenal.

Jota's 'clearance' and Neves ambling across and half hearted effort to block the cross cost us two points.
Traore already worth double what we paid for him, as I said when most of you were slagging him off 'an absolute bargain'. Traore and Doherty our best players by a street today.

Jota's 'clearance' and Neves ambling across and half hearted effort to block the cross cost us two points.
Traore already worth double what we paid for him, as I said when most of you were slagging him off 'an absolute bargain'. Traore and Doherty our best players by a street today.

Given that Newcastle paid £40m for Joelinton I'd say Traore is now a £50m player

Can anyone explain why we played in green today? I thought it was the away strip in Europe.

Given that Newcastle paid £40m for Joelinton I'd say Traore is now a £50m player

More than likely. Very difficult to buy what Adama can do.
Vallejo will come good as well imo.
How far away that is though I don't know.

Traore literally scared the living hell out of the newcastle back line today every time he got the ball.It is amazing how much he has come on. And the reverse pass for the goal was a thing of beauty!!

Back