• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

How did we look as a back 4 when Toti cam off?

I think this is right. 12th/13th and a genuine cup run? Would've taken it instantly

Squad depth and what it says for future is concerning, but we'll have all of next off-season for that.

Just focus on Coventry and trying to be competitive in the league.

How the hell do you make a forward line with all of Neto, Hwang and Cunha potentially unavailable? RAN is going to be playing LW by default?

I think with all the subs we began to lose our way, not surprisingly. Apart from RAN, we had next to no pace left on the pitch. The back 4 were alright, though I think Hugo Bueno was caught well out of position for their 3rd, but by that point it didn't really matter.

First goal. Gordon picks it up here:

Newc1.png

Gordon releases it here:

Newc2.png

Kilman does absolutely fucking NOTHING there for 50 yards. Shite.

View attachment 9794

Gordon releases it here:

View attachment 9795

For fucks sake... how many times... as a defender you are trained to not dive in and over commit yourself He does that and Gordon makes a simple pass and they are 2v1. Call him "shite" all you like but he did exactly what a defender has been instructed to do. And if Newcastle didn't get the run of the ball after, they wouldn't have scored. I get you currently have a downer on Kilman but I thought you knew more about basic defending than you are now demonstrating.

View attachment 9794

Gordon releases it here:

View attachment 9795

I think he’s done ok there. Slowed him up and allowed other Wolves players to get back. If he’s tried to tackle Gordon in all probability with so much space he’d have been beaten and Gordon would have had a clear run on goal.

Yeah I don't think there's much he can do, as there are points all the way through that run where there's another Newcastle player in lots of space so as soon as he goes to try and engage Gordon he'd have just slipped the ball past him.

For me he does the correct thing until the very end. Needs to engage when he sees Guimaraes running in behind, does so a couple of seconds too late.

For fucks sake... how many times... as a defender you are trained to not dive in and over commit yourself He does that and Gordon makes a simple pass and they are 2v1. Call him "shite" all you like but he did exactly what a defender has been instructed to do. And if Newcastle didn't get the run of the ball after, they wouldn't have scored. I get you currently have a downer on Kilman but I thought you knew more about basic defending than you are now demonstrating.
I'm with you. Has has no option but to track him back.

Goes in and Commits, simple pass inside , then runs past Killman, he either brings him down and risks a card, or let's him run then both are running at Dawson.

Commits and Gordon goes past him 2v1 on Dawson.

In that instance every coaching manual says stay on your feet, track him, hold him up until Reinforcements get there. Killmans body position is good showing him outside so he does not get a run right at Sa.

He defended it perfectly, and but for a deflection the ball would have ended up in Sa's hands.

View attachment 9794

Gordon releases it here:

View attachment 9795

I was given the condescending treatment on the matchday thread for basically saying this yesterday.

Shite defending.

I mean, a body check and taking a yellow on the half way line would have been better than backing off for 40 yards.

“i’M nOt a DeFenDeR”, though.

For me he does the correct thing until the very end. Needs to engage when he sees Guimaraes running in behind, does so a couple of seconds too late.
It’s still a massive gamble for a CB to commit to a challenge. You will never see VVD dive in ever. Otamendi on the other hand…
That’s why one of them always ends up on his arse.

Toti Gomes just needs to track the run from Bruno, or at least he as close to it as he can. Dawson is deeper than the titanic shit scared of Isak’s pace which is fair enough. He feels if he keeps him in front of him he’s got his best chance of snuffing him out. Toti is doing nothing in the entire piece. He goes to track it and then tries to pass it off to Dawson. So in the end Dawson is effectively marking 2 and actually does well to get a block in. Bad luck with the deflection and obviously Toti still isn’t in a position to deal with Isak.

I was given the condescending treatment on the matchday thread for basically saying this yesterday.

Shite defending.

I mean, a body check and taking a yellow on the half way line would have been better than backing off for 40 yards.

“i’M nOt a DeFenDeR”, though.
Kilman dives in to “take a yellow” he has an about a 1% of winning the ball, 10% chance of getting the man. The 6th fastest player in the league has 40 yards of space behind and 20 yards of space to the side. He just boots it, dodges the challenge in the infinite space and he’s away.

It’s still a massive gamble for a CB to commit to a challenge. You will never see VVD dive in ever. Otamendi on the other hand…

Toti Gomes just needs to track the run from Bruno, or at least he as close to it as he can. Dawson is deeper than the titanic shit scared of Isak’s pace which is fair enough. He feels if he keeps him in front of him he’s got his best chance of snuffing him out. Toti is doing nothing in the entire piece. He goes to track it and then tries to pass it off to Dawson. So in the end Dawson is effectively marking 2 and actually does well to get a block in. Bad luck with the deflection and obviously Toti still isn’t in a position to deal with Isak.

Toti definitely the biggest issue.

Kilman does what he can with Gordon, doesn't get beat, doesn't allow him an easy route to goal and buys his team mates time. Then he ends up 2v1 with the run from Bruno and he's fucked.

Meanwhile Toti has recovered the ground and completely wasted it, wanders towards Isak who is already marked by Dawson but not with enough purpose to free up Dawson in time. If he tracks Guimaraes to any real extent it's probably enough to deter Gordon from making that pass and he's back to having to try to get round Kilman himself.

It's essentially a 3v2 against Kilman and Dawson.

But if Toti hasn't done any of those things then it's Kilman's job to try and prevent the through ball which is why he should commit at that point. I don't think he's the route cause of the goal though as you say Toti is doing neither one thing or another.

But if Toti hasn't done any of those things then it's Kilman's job to try and prevent the through ball which is why he should commit at that point. I don't think he's the root cause of the goal though as you say Toti is doing neither one thing or another.
And he doesn’t win it and Gordon is running down the middle of the goal again…

The pass is forced wide into a low odds goal scoring position. After being up shit creek at the outset.

He did everything well. Trying to put some blame on him. Because his teams mate(s) were inept is just strange.

. If he tracks Guimaraes to any real extent it's probably enough to deter Gordon from making that pass and he's back to having to try to get round Kilman himself.

Or he still takes that pass to Bruno and he has got Toti somehere near preventing him cutting back inside, no pass to Isak and so just the low percentage shot which wouldn’t take such a wicked Deflecfion if the defender is closer to the source.

Looking at the pictures Toti is in the perfect position to track Bruno but instead runs and stands doing nothing in a space near to Isak but not actually defending anyone. He's allowed Kilman to be in a 2 v1 in a dangerous position on the pitch. Toti at fault I think here.

Looking at the pictures Toti is in the perfect position to track Bruno but instead runs and stands doing nothing in a space near to Isak but not actually defending anyone. He's allowed Kilman to be in a 2 v1 in a dangerous position on the pitch. Toti at fault I think here.

Watching it back again he's got a 10 yard head start on Bruno but he just runs back towards his own goal with no idea of what he's going to do whereas Bruno makes a run into an area that actually affects the game and helps his team.

It even looks in the 2nd picture that Dawson expects him to pick up Isak so he can go and cover Bruno's run. But he doesn't even do that. The completely obvious thing is for him to just run with Bruno, but maybe he is thinking about getting back into shape which is why he runs kind of to the left CB position. This is where football intelligence matters, and doing the right thing isn't necessarily doing the thing you've been drilled to do.

Yeah I don't think there's much he can do, as there are points all the way through that run where there's another Newcastle player in lots of space so as soon as he goes to try and engage Gordon he'd have just slipped the ball past him.
Or knocked it past him, Gordon isn't exactly slow and had the space and positioning to easily skip past him

Back