• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

And he doesn’t win it and Gordon is running down the middle of the goal again…

The pass is forced wide into a low odds goal scoring position. After being up shit creek at the outset.

He did everything well. Trying to put some blame on him. Because his teams mate(s) were inept is just strange.

Or he still takes that pass to Bruno and he has got Toti somehere near preventing him cutting back inside, no pass to Isak and so just the low percentage shot which wouldn’t take such a wicked Deflecfion if the defender is closer to the source.
I'm not putting blame on him, I'm saying that once Toti does nothing Kilman can still do something. For me it's strange to say that because your teammate isn't doing his job you shouldn't amend yours. I'm confident that Harry Maguire wipes him out here. Toti's fault, but still preventable.Screenshot_20240303_102941_FotMob.jpg

I'm not putting blame on him, I'm saying that once Toti does nothing Kilman can still do something. For me it's strange to say that because your teammate isn't doing his job you shouldn't amend yours. I'm confident that Harry Maguire wipes him out here. Toti's fault, but still preventable.View attachment 9798
I think there’s huge doses of hindsight here.

1) Harry Maguire is a carthorse and one of the worst 1v1 defenders in the league. Kilman isn’t that. VVD certainly doesn’t take him out. He could try to take him out but if he fails it’s an almost certain goal. You also only get one of these a games, it’s pretty early and then you’re on egg shells.

2) sliding the ball down the outside to one of the slower players on the pitch on his weak foot isn’t a particularly dangerous situation, and that’s how it played out. A nothing shot with huge luck.

3)I don’t think Kilman has eyes in the back of his head. Even if he is aware, that ball isn’t dangerous. What he doesn’t want to do is let Gordon inside on his strong foot. Which Semedo (one of the best 1v1 guys in the league) inexplicably did against Kudus (and Kudus had no real help and wider, Christ that was awful defending).

Even if we knew what was going to happen and he had his moment again there’s no guarantee diving in succeeds and with that hindsight knowledge would be the only way you can level any blame at him, which is still ridiculously in itself when RAN, the set up and Toti are way higher on the list, well they are exclusively the list

I'm not putting blame on him, I'm saying that once Toti does nothing Kilman can still do something. For me it's strange to say that because your teammate isn't doing his job you shouldn't amend yours. I'm confident that Harry Maguire wipes him out here. Toti's fault, but still preventable.View attachment 9798

Kilman can't have any clue where Bruno is or where he's running at that point, he's completely blind to that threat. As a result he's got no reason to change the way he's dealing with Gordon at that point, the situation hasn't changed from his perspective.

If he'd have bought him down there it would've been through impatience rather than some greater understanding, unless he's got eyes in the back of his head or one of his team mates has just shouted to bring him down.

I don't think Kilman could have done anything other than what he did. He slowed Gordon down and faced him up to buy time for his teammates to get back and help out. He thought they would make the right decisions but Toti didn't.

RAN still shoulders a fair proportion of blame for me, because the pass that he tried, that lost possession in the Newcastle penalty box, was a pass that just wasn't on. It was a ludicrous decision to try it.

I don't think Kilman does slow him down, and he doesn't close the space at all across 50 yards, and he doesn't block off the passing lane. Just nothing.

He's been broadly decent for the last 4-5 months, that was not decent. Not to say he's the only one at fault, I never said otherwise.

I don't think Kilman does slow him down, and he doesn't close the space at all across 50 yards, and he doesn't block off the passing lane. Just nothing.

He's been broadly decent for the last 4-5 months, that was not decent. Not to say he's the only one at fault, I never said otherwise.
Of course he slows him down because Bruno runs 10 yards past Gordon. He can’t block the passing lane becuse then he allows him inside on his strong foot.

He doesn’t want to close the space. He wants to condense the space behind, then when we get to about 25 yard out force a decision and not get beat. In an ideal world force Gordon(or the pass) out wide (what happened) or Gordon takes the bad option which is cut is inside which then makes Kilman favourite to disposess or get a block in.

Of course, none of this is an issue if we don't give the ball away in such a dangerous area adn after we have committed so many men forward. Ait-Nouri is to blame for that. Stuff happens. Hopefully we will learn from this.

Toti is the main issue for me on that goal. Watches everything unfolding but does nothing except cover a bloke who is already being marked.

Of course, none of this is an issue if we don't give the ball away in such a dangerous area adn after we have committed so many men forward. Ait-Nouri is to blame for that. Stuff happens. Hopefully we will learn from this.

It was their 18 yard line, I'd hardly say that's a dangerous area!

We can't moan at passive, safe tippy tappy bollocks and also moan when a player tries something that doesn't come off. Yes it was poorly executed but at the end of the day they were three on three, and all of the back three could've done better/different.

We can't moan at passive, safe tippy tappy bollocks and also moan when a player tries something that doesn't come off. Yes it was poorly executed but at the end of the day they were three on three, and all of the back three could've done better/different.
Bang on, at least he tried something. So many times yesterday we got in their 1/3 and just gave up. RAN was the only one trying to create something.

It's a very dangerous area when you have committed so many forward and give the ball away. We've been very good at it ourselves so to fall victim to it is somewhat surprising. I do understand what you are saying about being cautious v throwing caution to the wind though and I tend to agree. I'm still a bit mystified why we went there with those tactics after our recent away success.

One day we will make Burn look like a bug lump. One day

We were very toothless in attack with no discernable focal point, a fine example of why you need an actual striker. Poor that this wasn't addressed in the January window but also rotten luck that we lose over 20 PL goals from the team in Cunha and Hwang at the same time.

We weren't great but they weren't brilliant either. A Newcastle fan friend on Facebook said that they too have injuries but they started the game with Guimaraes, Gordon, Isak and Murphy and were able to call on the likes of Almiron, Livaramento and Barnes from the bench which constitutes an embarrassment of riches compared to us.

My first visit to St James Park, I had tickets on Row Y right at the top. Climbing the stairs was like going to the toilets in Wetherspoons! Great stadium and the concourse area and surroundings make my seat in the Steve Bull seem like Bridgnorth Town.

Best performance in a gold shirt yesterday was Manny who was clapped in by Wolves and Geordie fans alike. Great bloke and an inspiration. I was chatting to his father and son while we waited for him, apparently he skinned his foot on about 30 miles of his epic trek, ouch!

Last edited:
I saw the social media vids of Manny walking in. Great stuff.

I saw the social media vids of Manny walking in. Great stuff.
A lot of Newcastle fans were aware of his walk too and many gathered by the Bobby Robson statue to see him, got a real heroes welcome from both supporter groups and was also greeted by NUFC themselves who took him pitchside where he was photographed with GO and players

Opinion of The Mag (Newcastle fan site) is that we are deluded if we think there wasn't much between the teams. I think there is something in their assertion that Newcastle allowed us to have the ball and possession as they knew we couldn't really hurt them. So they sucked us in, left Isak and Gordon high, and Schar/Botman/Bruno are good enough on the ball to spring quick counters.

I do think that plan would have been a bit different if we'd have had Cunha, Hwang and Neto for 90 minutes.

Back