• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle v Wolves (A) Part 1: Build Up

For some reason there was a kind of mass epiphany in Wolverhampton around January 2015 and it was decreed that flinging yourself around because you've managed to get yourself wildly out of position or made a pretty basic error was actually good defending. I must have been away that day because to me it still looks pretty desperate and substandard.

I've seen nothing in Stearman's first two games of this spell to suggest it was a good idea to bring him back here. We didn't look solid at the back with him and Batth before at this level and we don't look solid with the pair of them there now. Fulham have been happy to hand him back to us for nothing for a good reason.

Not wrong there Deutsch - though I have little to go on

The last good CB partnership I can remember seeing was that of Munro & Mcalle (with 60% of that to Frank Munro) though I didn't come up much in the 80's, 90's or noughties due to family/mortgages etc.

The thing is that Hause definitely has the potential to make a decent centre half at this level, at very least (he won't fulfil that potential if he doesn't play). In a best case scenario, Stearman is as good as he's ever going to be, and he's never been part of a particularly good defence in this league. We're probably not even in that luxurious a situation as he's nowhere near as quick now as he was 4-5 years ago and he isn't smart enough to make up for that. A year away as part of a Fulham defence that conceded 79 goals last season hasn't improved him.

Ola John looks a pointless signing given just how many wide options we have, Paul Gladon looks (on the basis of one game) to be a pretty poor signing as he looks short of any of the required attributes to play as a forward in a Zenga team, but Stearman was a truly baffling signing given there are more than enough people at the club who already know what he's all about. Not as bad as us bringing Leon Clarke back when similarly aware of his multiple deficiencies, but in the same category. I don't care if our primary targets (Luisao/Mawson) turned us down, you cannot tell me he was the very best we could find on the kind of budget we have. You can thump your chest in the direction of the South Bank all you like but I'll forego all that for a centre half who doesn't offer up the kind of non-challenge that allowed Hammill to score on Tuesday. I'd have taken Berra back ahead of Stearman.

Not that Batth was much better in midweek, I'll grant you.

As far as decent centre half partnerships go, the most recent genuinely good one I've seen is Lescott and Butler when the latter was behaving himself and not being a massive fat bastard. Since then we've either been sorely deficient (to great cost) in that area, winged it and just about got away with it somehow, or been in League One so cardboard cut outs would have done a passable job. A Batth/Stearman partnership is nowhere near a Lescott/Butler one. Never will be either.

The thing is that Hause definitely has the potential to make a decent centre half at this level, at very least (he won't fulfil that potential if he doesn't play). In a best case scenario, Stearman is as good as he's ever going to be, and he's never been part of a particularly good defence in this league. We're probably not even in that luxurious a situation as he's nowhere near as quick now as he was 4-5 years ago and he isn't smart enough to make up for that. A year away as part of a Fulham defence that conceded 79 goals last season hasn't improved him.

Ola John looks a pointless signing given just how many wide options we have, Paul Gladon looks (on the basis of one game) to be a pretty poor signing as he looks short of any of the required attributes to play as a forward in a Zenga team, but Stearman was a truly baffling signing given there are more than enough people at the club who already know what he's all about. Not as bad as us bringing Leon Clarke back when similarly aware of his multiple deficiencies, but in the same category. I don't care if our primary targets (Luisao/Mawson) turned us down, you cannot tell me he was the very best we could find on the kind of budget we have. You can thump your chest in the direction of the South Bank all you like but I'll forego all that for a centre half who doesn't offer up the kind of non-challenge that allowed Hammill to score on Tuesday. I'd have taken Berra back ahead of Stearman.

Not that Batth was much better in midweek, I'll grant you.

As far as decent centre half partnerships go, the most recent genuinely good one I've seen is Lescott and Butler when the latter was behaving himself and not being a massive fat bastard. Since then we've either been sorely deficient (to great cost) in that area, winged it and just about got away with it somehow, or been in League One so cardboard cut outs would have done a passable job. A Batth/Stearman partnership is nowhere near a Lescott/Butler one. Never will be either.

Harsh. Shit game midweek after a decent game Saturday does not a wanker make. I have been stearman and Batth critic on here and the both fucked up re Barnsley but it happens. Stears is a proven solid champ centre back. I am more worried about the cover in front than I am about the defence. Cover them properly and they will be fine. That's down to Saiss ,Coady ,price whoever plays. Not converting chances is a bigger worry. With our current talent pool we should be outscoring teams even if we concede.

I don't know about "solid". He's proven in as much as he's played a load of games in this division, mostly falling into one of two categories. He can look fair to decent at this level (which he did on Saturday, against two very limited forwards, and gave a penalty away) and he can look rubbish at this level (as he did on Tuesday). I don't need to make a judgement on one game, he played for us nearly 250 times before we managed to shift him in the first place and I probably saw 75%+ of those games, I know what Richard Stearman does. I also now know that he can't recover on the turn like he used to. It's also nothing to do with anyone in front of him if he tackles like he did for that second goal because you wouldn't have that off a mate down the park.

We'll see, I think we'll end up trying to replace him (again) by January at latest. You are not going to get weeks/months of consistently good performances out of him because he's never done that for anyone.

Suspect that Stearman was a last choice of who we could entice after our original targets weren't available or wouldn't come

Expect a replacement in Jan as we cannot change things till then

I don't know about "solid". He's proven in as much as he's played a load of games in this division, mostly falling into one of two categories. He can look fair to decent at this level (which he did on Saturday, against two very limited forwards, and gave a penalty away) and he can look rubbish at this level (as he did on Tuesday). I don't need to make a judgement on one game, he played for us nearly 250 times before we managed to shift him in the first place and I probably saw 75%+ of those games, I know what Richard Stearman does. I also now know that he can't recover on the turn like he used to. It's also nothing to do with anyone in front of him if he tackles like he did for that second goal because you wouldn't have that off a mate down the park.

We'll see, I think we'll end up trying to replace him (again) by January at latest. You are not going to get weeks/months of consistently good performances out of him because he's never done that for anyone.

He always has an error in him. However the cover in front was poor this week compounded by his and Batth having a poor performance. In this league and with our aatacking options he should be adequate especially at home. 35 points by Xmas and we are on our way. 9_8_6

He always has an error in him. However the cover in front was poor this week compounded by his and Batth having a poor performance. In this league and with our aatacking options he should be adequate especially at home. 35 points by Xmas and we are on our way. 9_8_6

I have no expectations for the two Newcastle games. We'll lose both and play two different teams doing it.

But that needs to be the cut off point for Zenga to pick his best 11.

We need to be in the mix by Xmas otherwise we may struggle to attract decent targets

We need to be in the mix by Xmas otherwise we may struggle to attract decent targets

Completely agree hence my bench mark for success was 35 points from 23 games. I thought that before a ball was kicked and little has changed.
We have signed , on paper ,some quality. It now needs them to play to their potential consistently. To do this surely they all need a run of games. 2 changes a game max for the league please Walter. Whilst I would love a cup run too its points we need. A few back to back results,confidence improves and so does our expectations. I am still concerned that we have not solved the on pitch leadership issue effectively especially at the back. Williamson would have done that for me but hey ho!

I wonder if Saiss' knee injury is why it took us so long to announce his signing? It was a good week since he arrived at Molineux to the deal being done, I expect he went for extra checks to see the extent of the damage.

Harsh. $#@! game midweek after a decent game Saturday does not a $#@!er make. I have been stearman and Batth critic on here and the both $#@!ed up re Barnsley but it happens. Stears is a proven solid champ centre back. I am more worried about the cover in front than I am about the defence. Cover them properly and they will be fine. That's down to Saiss ,Coady ,price whoever plays. Not converting chances is a bigger worry. With our current talent pool we should be outscoring teams even if we concede.
Without analysing things on Saturday Stearman played well and the penalty was very harsh, but as always with Stearman many of his attention grabbing blocks were as a result of being out of position / not close enough to the man in the first place. It looks good, but when deconstructed it shouldn't have had to be done with correct positioning.

My view on his re-signing hasn't changed, I can see why we did, he does on the whole have a decent partnership with Batth and I have always thought Hause is a bit 'Emperor's new clothes', so no problem with him replacing him, but I do I wish we had found a better option.

Yep definitely crocked, Williamson-lite in fact. Just a shame he played for the the u23's against Luton.

http://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/luton-town-wolves-andy-awford-3307452.aspx

Speaking of Williamson I'm surprised nobody has thanked our resident Magpie for ol' lame horse ;)

To be honest it's us that should be thanking you. That big lump was playing under some inept tacticians but that doesn't absolve him of blame, and so for someone to pay actual real money for him is surely an act of gracious charity on their part.

Well the easy part was getting to Newcastle, now the difficult part, getting a ticket.

To be honest it's us that should be thanking you. That big lump was playing under some inept tacticians but that doesn't absolve him of blame, and so for someone to pay actual real money for him is surely an act of gracious charity on their part.

You could have told us he was permanently injured...!!

He was fine for us. Won MOTM on his debut and added much needed organisation to our defence. Shame you had to recall him....and shame the injury he got after recovering from his hamstring one has seemingly ended him at Wolves.

I can't wait to see the reaction on here and Twitter when Gladon gets rotated back into the team in place of Bodvarsson...

Back