• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Non League Football.

There's a Port Vale near me. Always thought it odd as kid that the football team played over 100 miles away...

Originally from Woolwich area of London. Arsenal relates to the Royal Arsenal munitions site at Woolwich
Damn, thought I finally caught the bastards.

Nobody is ok with Port Vale.
I'd always assumed that Port Vale was an area of that part of Stoke, although I've never been arsed to check.
Named after the pub/ house the club was formed in.

No such place as Port Vale in Stoke, the ground is in Burslem.

St Johnstone was the one that perplexed me till my Dad got lost driving us on a family holiday and we arrived at the ground trying to get out of Perth.
Stevenage and Crawley are reversals of this quiz: they’re definitely places, but I still find it hard to believe they’re football teams.

Named after the pub/ house the club was formed in.

No such place as Port Vale in Stoke, the ground is in Burslem.

Perhaps the poster's reference to 'Stoke' is a generic one. It's used by most Potters instead of Stoke-on-Trent and not necessarily Stoke-upon-Trent?

Perhaps the poster's reference to 'Stoke' is a generic one. It's used by most Potters instead of Stoke-on-Trent and not necessarily Stoke-upon-Trent?
Not "Newcastle-on-Tyne" United, either (though if there's some logical reason for that, I'm happy to be corrected).

It's very funny to me that there only seem to be ~theories~ about where the name Port Vale came from.

Not "Newcastle-on-Tyne" United, either (though if there's some logical reason for that, I'm happy to be corrected).

It's very funny to me that there only seem to be ~theories~ about where the name Port Vale came from.
If you say "Newcastle" then pretty much everyone will assume you mean the one in the North East. Not the one in Staffordshire or the one in Shropshire or the one in Australia.

Nobody mentioning Grimsby playing in cleethorpes? If we are talking shitholes with football teams.

Nobody mentioning Grimsby playing in cleethorpes? If we are talking shitholes with football teams.
Loads of those though. Millwall don't play in Millwall. Bolton don't play in Bolton any more.

Back