• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich Home 15.05.22 2pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we played in a way that was both sustainable and suited the players in the opening four games...

But we played in a way that was both sustainable and suited the players in the opening four games...
We played against 4 sides that let us knock it about as we liked, never really pressed us and we looked decent. We won 1 of them against the second worst side in the league, teams have pressed us a lot more as the season goes on and it’s obvious that we struggle to play against a good press.

As we’ve said previously Bruno at fault for lots this season, he has to adapt but the players have to be a factor both their ability and mentality l. They’re 100% more comfortable in the low block and counter as it doesn’t expose them as much.

We played against 4 sides that let us knock it about as we liked, never really pressed us and we looked decent. We won 1 of them against the second worst side in the league, teams have pressed us a lot more as the season goes on and it’s obvious that we struggle to play against a good press.

As we’ve said previously Bruno at fault for lots this season, he has to adapt but the players have to be a factor both their ability and mentality l. They’re 100% more comfortable in the low block and counter as it doesn’t expose them as much.
To a certain extent that's true but he basically quickly drastically changed the approach as we were playing slightly higher than previously and committing more bodies with good movement. We created a ton of chances.

Sa
Kilman Coady Saiss
Semedo Neves Moutinho RAN
Podence/Trincao Raul Traore

Is capable of playing a more creative game. He basically decided not too very early on.

We've created fuck all in nearly every game since with the odd exception. And we conceded more chances than we create on a consistent basis. That is poor coaching.

I agree with everything else you've said there.

But that comment is a bit daft.

If we win 6-0 it means that we've put in a shift, had at least 6 shots on target and been very attacking.

It would change a lot for me, as it would represent change!
But I'd have zero faith in it meaning anything long term. It didn't against Watford.

To a certain extent that's true but he basically quickly drastically changed the approach as we were playing slightly higher than previously and committing more bodies with good movement. We created a ton of chances.

Sa
Kilman Coady Saiss

Is capable of playing a more creative game. He basically decided not too very early on.

We've created fuck all in nearly every game since with the odd exception. And we conceded more chances than we create on a consistent basis. That is poor coaching.

Has there possibly been some dissent from the players during that early spell? I was really surprised in those opening games by some of the football, the pressing in particular, but ultimately it didn't get the results. Could players have lost confidence in the new way at that point? If someone is pushing you to do something different and you see results go backwards it's only natural to question it and even resist the change.

I think they reverted back to something more familiar to keep everyone on board, it worked pretty well in terms of results so just ran with it. It's never been pretty though but if it's working then people will generally keep chugging along.

Everything is just really disjointed now though, the new style is long forgotten, the old style isn't getting the results it did before. It doesn't seem like players or coaches are really putting it all in to try and find a solution or force their way through the bad patch. It's like they've all given up because it's not going how they'd like and they're just waiting for something else to create a change for them.

Has there possibly been some dissent from the players during that early spell? I was really surprised in those opening games by some of the football, the pressing in particular, but ultimately it didn't get the results. Could players have lost confidence in the new way at that point? If someone is pushing you to do something different and you see results go backwards it's only natural to question it and even resist the change.

I think they reverted back to something more familiar to keep everyone on board, it worked pretty well in terms of results so just ran with it. It's never been pretty though but if it's working then people will generally keep chugging along.

Everything is just really disjointed now though, the new style is long forgotten, the old style isn't getting the results it did before. It doesn't seem like players or coaches are really putting it all in to try and find a solution or force their way through the bad patch. It's like they've all given up because it's not going how they'd like and they're just waiting for something else to create a change for them.
I'd agree with this, I think there will be big changes this summer. I think it's probably for the best.

What we're doing now isn't working, we can't change it as we are, the inevitable conclusion would seem to be relegation. Let's try something different

I'd be really confused if it was dissent from the players who caused this as they all pretty universally spoke about enjoying the fresh ideas etc and you'd have to be stupid to not think we'd played well and if continued creating that many chances the goals would cime.

Totally agree on your last paragraph. That's mainly what makes me think he's gone after the last game of the season.

I'd be really confused if it was dissent from the players who caused this as they all pretty universally spoke about enjoying the fresh ideas etc and you'd have to be stupid to not think we'd played well and if continued creating that many chances the goals would cime.

Totally agree on your last paragraph. That's mainly what makes me think he's gone after the last game of the season.

It might not have been outright dissent but it wouldn't surprise me if you saw interest in the new ways starting to decline with some. I doubt anyone was going knocking on Lage's door after 4 games demanding he played different football or telling Shi that they felt they were being hung out to dry but it's only natural to doubt change when it doesn't bring the results you want. It's all too easy to fall back into the old routine that's been successful before.

Could be a very different conversation if there had been a couple of wins in those opening games and that style had carried on all season.

Sa
Kilman Coady Saiss

We did create a lot of chances but we didn’t take them and so lost 3 of the first 4 and 4 of the first 5. No surprise from there that we went a bit more pragmatic but that also came from teams pressing us more.

He is capable and so are the players but not consistently and when you’ve got a bunch of attacking players who don’t really score goals it’s hard to stay with an attacking approach.

Season has been a bit of a mix hasn’t it, some good games, some bad games and some a mix of both. Again it’s been bad down to both Bruno and the players. Seems like any good has been just the players though and any bad is all Bruno.

I don't think I've felt as unenthusiastic about a game since Saunders/Solbakken era. I just don't really care, I'm trying to care but I don't the last month or two has drained my enthusiasm.

The only reason I have to go is because I got my nephew his first ticket to a premier league game. We took him to the Sheffield United game with a bit of caution due to his autism but it was a big success he loved it.

Since the Norwich Cup game he's been asking when he can go to his next game, It's just a shame Bruno has put a dampener on things by playing such tedious shit football.

It just screams a Norwich win this Sunday I just hope I'm wrong and Bruno gives us top (winning) performance

I don't think I've felt as unenthusiastic about a game since Saunders/Solbakken era. I just don't really care, I'm trying to care but I don't the last month or two has drained my enthusiasm.

The only reason I have to go is because I got my nephew his first ticket to a premier league game. We took him to the Sheffield United game with a bit of caution due to his autism but it was a big success he loved it.

Since the Norwich Cup game he's been asking when he can go to his next game, It's just a shame Bruno has put a dampener on things by playing such tedious shit football.

It just screams a Norwich win this Sunday I just hope I'm wrong and Bruno gives us top (winning) performance
Hopefully it will be a decent performance and we score a few for him

Today we're basically in the position where the absolute peak of ambition is ten more points and 20 more goals.
Not sure about that. We lost our opening three games and played well enough to win any of them. Then with our ridiculous run of form over the last 2 months or so where we've lost 10 out of 12. Normally you'd expect us to win at least 3-4 of 12 games, minimum, considering the opposition. If our form hadn't dropped off a cliff we could easily have had another 15 points on the board. That would put us level on points with Spurs & 1 point off 4th placed Arsenal. For me, the peak of our ambition has to be pushing for that 4th spot, especially with the other clubs that usually fill those places having such inconsistent seasons themselves. Sadly we've missed the boat, but the opportunity was there.

There are two clubs in this league that are stratospheres ahead of everyone else; we can beat any of the other teams on our day. Somehow, at one point, we were flirting with 4th place with Bruno impersonating a manager at points and Shi/co at the top table. Imagine where we would be if we'd actually invested in the squad!

gomes, chiquino,mosquera,cundle, ran, etc etc, seems to me the deeper lying plans of fosun are a much younger squad.

Other than the keepers, Semedo, Raul and Joao, we've pretty much always bought young or youngish players under Fosun. Boly and Saiss are starting to knock on a bit now but they weren't when we signed them.

...................... Sa

......... Boly - Coady - Gomes

Jonny - Neves - Moutinho - RAN

.................... Neto

.............. Silva - Jimenez

Attack attack attack!

Win the game, try and entertain a bit and then hope we aren't humiliated at Anfield in the final game. I feel utterly apathetic now. The social is more important than the game.

Win the game, try and entertain a bit and then hope we aren't humiliated at Anfield in the final game. I feel utterly apathetic now. The social is more important than the game.

Same. The game is just getting in the way of an afternoon in the pub with my mates for the last time this season.

I have no doubt it will be a drab, end of season affair. Just get this season done and over with now and move on to a summer of transfer rumours and ultimately disappointment

Effectively nowt to play for.

Sa

Jonny
Coady
Toti
RAN

Neves
Moutinho

Chiquinho
Trincao
Neto

Raul
If he were brave enough to play that formation the chances are that he’d stick Dendoncker in the No.10 role.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back