• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Nottingham Forest 2-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

MGW had a good game, could see him at Spurs or West Ham but nobody who routinely finishes higher than them.

Shame nobody really tried to get him a second yellow in the last 15 mins though. Gigantic helmet that he obviously will always be

Surgery next week. Almost certainly done for the season then.

What a cracking second half of the season we’ve had with injuries. It’s almost like relying on the squad depth/luck we had pre-January was a completely idiotic call…
It IS bad luck to have all your forwards injured at once and also we've always run this way under Fosun, bar 2016/17's chaos and the second half of last season where we had to chuck everything at it because they left an idiot in charge and we were bottom of the league. I don't mind a lean squad but we're at least 3-4 short of where we should operate as a mid-table PL club.

No-one makes Gary O'Neil pick Matt Doherty though.

If fit you want 21 or thereabouts competent PL players. Ignoring injuries and giving Doherty a pass we have 17. I don't think Traore, Bentley or any of the kids from our current squad count, so we are 4 light, 3 if you think Traore is up to standard

It IS bad luck to have all your forwards injured at once and also we've always run this way under Fosun, bar 2016/17's chaos and the second half of last season where we had to chuck everything at it because they left an idiot in charge and we were bottom of the league. I don't mind a lean squad but we're at least 3-4 short of where we should operate as a mid-table PL club.

No-one makes Gary O'Neil pick Matt Doherty though.
Neto was out with a hamstring, Hwang is rarely more than a couple of games away from a niggling injury, so though a bit unfortunate it was putting a lot of eggs in Cunha’s basket.

The defending on both of their goals was appalling. Sa just falls over for the first one.

A 2-2 where we were mostly outclassed for the entire game against a team which are relegation candidates is not a great result.
Yeah, even if you give them back their deducted points we are 13 points better off (plus GD) than Forest, it's never "great" to draw with someone that much lower than you.

I'm happy we got something despite being largely very poor for most of the game and having two clowns give away a goal apiece because well, that's what they do.

Forest are mostly wank. Graveyard of wasted talent

I thought we were well off it today, only one contender for MOTM has to be Cunha, as for Doc I don't want to see him play lb ever again that's if he ever needs to play for us again, H Bueno is not any worse than him and needs a run in the team, Sarabia did he do anything right ? missed a glorious chance to put us ahead, then lost the ball or gave it away so many times that I thought he was playing in a Red shirt. All in all a draw was a fair result as neither team deserved to win.

The team we’ve got available, compared to theirs was a bit of a leveller, however the team selection is a bit odd. Stop playing Doc he’s long gone as a PL player.
Makes me shudder we’ve got 50% of our remaining games v the title challengers with this defence.
I expected defeat simply on the greater need for Forest who are tripe. Absolutely not underachieving their defence is as bad as ours with Dawson out.

Apologies if it's already been discussed but was there a handball before the corner which lead to their first goal? Definitely looked like one from where I was standing.

Gazza interview:

On a point at Forest

“It was a good game, a hard-fought game, and you could see Forest were in a stronger moment than us at the moment with the way they finished the game, but a draw is probably a fair result. I think Forest will be disappointed not to win it, especially at home with some of the late territory that they had, without really testing Sa too much.

“The two goals that we gave away are really disappointing, I know Sa will be disappointed with the first one because it was a soft header which goes fairly near the middle of the goal although the bounced deceived him a bit, and that sort of goal shouldn’t be conceded in a Premier League game. Then the second goal came out of nothing, a long ball and we don’t react well to the turnover from the tackle with the ball bobbling around.

“But we are very much patched up and that group at the end, if you look at where we end up with young players who haven’t had a professional loan yet, Bouba Traore playing as a right-back, Channy [Hwang] having to play in a few different positions having only just come back – we were really patched up but the lads gave absolutely everything, worked hard and had some decent moments in the game that gives us another point to add to the tally.”

On Cunha’s opening goal

“It was a really good run and finish from him. I don’t like him much playing in the position that we played him today, and he doesn’t like it much either, but he had to play as a nine today and you could see he comes down a lot and he drifts and he’s not naturally in the nine position often.

“We’re keen to get him back in his best spot which is where his goal came from, on that left side. But we’re delighted with the set-play goal because we’ve worked hard on those, a free header from Max [Kilman] at the back and some good work from the coaching team to get us that one.

“It could have gone either way. They had more shots, we had more control, and more possession, and we’re hoping to get better than that, but it was the best we could offer, although it’s another good point on the road.

On thinking Wolves’ second would be disallowed

“Always. As soon as the ball goes in the goal, there’s no emotion from me. I just turn to the bench and ask if we can check it. But it was all clear and it was all good.”

On Ait-Nouri’s absence

“It was a late call because he was doing well this week and up until yesterday we thought he would be available to start, but then he had a small issue with his fitness test with the medical team, so Doc came in for him, did a good job on that left side, because you know what you’re going to get from Doc, but it is another key player missing.

“Cunha was on limited minutes and I probably pushed him five or six minutes past what he should have been on today, Channy on very limited minutes and Daws is just trying to get through the last two games off the bench for us, but he’ll probably have groin surgery – or some sort of procedure to try and help him – at some point this week as he’s going through some pain at the moment.

“Nelson [Semedo] was exhausted and both hamstrings tightened up, Pablo [Sarabia] looked tired at the end, so it’s a really patched up group that gave absolutely everything, showed a great mentality, but we can improve on that. But where we are the moment, it’s another point to the tally, away from home, which takes us to 43, which is a good tally.”

On Dawson’s groin injury

“He’s been training through some pain the last few weeks. It’s not definite but he’ll see some people this week. He’s put himself forward to sit on the bench and try to help, so we could use him for the last 10 minutes if we needed to defend the goal and get an extra body on.

“But he’s probably going to need some help because he’s got some pain. Unless it improves this week, he’ll have something done.

On trying to get the squad through games

“It’s the toughest spot I’ve ever been in trying to piece everything together, trying to make substitutions while trying to get Hee Chan on with Cunha to get Cunha back in his usual spot, but then you know you’ve only got 10 minutes with them together.

“If I take Joao [Gomes] off, I can’t get him back on, so there’s a lot to piece together which is why every point feels like a well-earned one. I know the group feel that way as well, so I’m desperate for them to get their next win because it’s been a while.

“I did speak about how big the Fulham win was and I’m not sure people believed me at the time, to beat a full-strength Fulham with a massively understrength Wolves was a massive result for us and today’s a good point.”

Putting it frankly if I was a side fighting relegation or trying to win the league then I’d want to face us in our current state. Very porous at the back and have gone to shit on set pieces.
Since the Cup debacle the season has faded fast but would’ve taken being safe with 6 games in hand back in September

How to ruin a fairly reasonable interview: “..so Doc came in for him, did a good job on that left side, because you know what you’re going to get from Doc..”. Don’t start trying to tell us black is white Gary, anyone with the benefit of sight could see he didn’t do a good job. We do know what we’ll get and is never a good job.

To add this isn’t similar to the Bruno Lage end of season 21/22. His was more down to alienating half the squad and not realising that his default tactics he was using had been sussed out by February.
Gaz could be doing better ie stop picking Doc, but losing pretty much all your front line and best defender in one go makes it inevitable things will go south a bit.

How to ruin a fairly reasonable interview: “..so Doc came in for him, did a good job on that left side, because you know what you’re going to get from Doc..”. Don’t start trying to tell us black is white Gary, anyone with the benefit of sight could see he didn’t do a good job. We do know what we’ll get and is never a good job.

Player protection more than anything I think as he wont flog him in the public domain.

He isn't going to go all Lage on his ass is he.
To do that he has to destroy 2 players.

"Doc did exactly as you would expect him to but you have to ask Hugo why he is 3rd choice in a position he expected to be first choice back in pre season. My options are limited"

That said, not sure what's worse. The decision to bring him back or the decision to keep playing him.

Back