• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Nottm Forest 1 - 2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Derby Ipswich both draw and there are 4 teams for 2 places .We are right in this mix

I thought that was a pretty routine win. Spoiled slightly by conceding at the death but I don't mind that too much as the game was dead by then. Couldn't tell you what actually happened for their goal as I was too busy goading Forest fans at the time.

Price and McDonald played very well in the centre of midfield today and Iorfa put up a very good fight vs one of the best wingers in the division and neutralised their only threat. Forest were on top for the first 25-30 minutes but never really created anything and we went into the break feeling a bit hard done by after we had a shot cleared off the line. We've made a habit of scoring just after half time recently and we did it again today with a lovely goal from Afobe. It was in the back of the net as soon as he picked the ball up. I thought he and Nouha weren't at their best today but they only need half a yard between them and they'll score.

From my angle I was convinced that the pen was just outside the area but I'm happy to learn that it was just inside from those that saw the goal on SSN. We should've had one 5 minutes before when Nouha ran into the box with the ball at his feet, turned the Forest defender inside out and took a hit on his ankle. More contact than there was vs Wednesday but he didn't go down and Forest dealt with the danger.

I thought the subs did well again, just like vs Derby. Especially Dave Edwards who was just what we needed at the right time. McDonald or Sako MoTM for me though, the two of them were superb today and Forest had no answer.

Fans behind the goal sang their hearts out yet again. Great fun. Loved the rendition of the Yam Yam Dambusters and the new Dicko Afobe Sako chant.

Reading Forest forums and I'm wondering, does any opposing fans ever go home and say "well we were beaten by a very good team today"? It always seems to be that we're "bang average".

Are we bang average and lucky and catch everyone on an off day, do we just look it because we're doing a job on the opponent then doing enough to win the game, or are they all just sore losers?

Reading Forest forums and I'm wondering, does any opposing fans ever go home and say "well we were beaten by a very good team today"? It always seems to be that we're "bang average".

Are we bang average and lucky and catch everyone on an off day, do we just look it because we're doing a job on the opponent then doing enough to win the game, or are they all just sore losers?

Isn't that just the way of things in British sports? Every time we lose the sentiment seems to be "they were shit but we were worse". Aside from a few exceptions when we've been absolutely destroyed, in which case it seems the prevailing opinion is usually "we were gutless/spineless/whatever and let them walk through us".

Point being, you lot are pretty damn cynical most of the time.

Just seen the goals on TFLS again. What a lovely goal by Benik Afobe. Top class.

Lansbury should've walked for the pen as well. Horrible challenge, looked so much worse on TV.

Isn't that just the way of things in British sports? Every time we lose the sentiment seems to be "they were $#@! but we were worse". Aside from a few exceptions when we've been absolutely destroyed, in which case it seems the prevailing opinion is usually "we were gutless/spineless/whatever and let them walk through us".

Point being, you lot are pretty damn cynical most of the time.

Pretty much spot on although it probably goes for all Countries I would imagine.

Pretty much spot on although it probably goes for all Countries I would imagine.

I haven't noticed it nearly as much in American sports but the stop/start nature of them probably necessitates a different sort of conversation. Either way I'm a chief pant-wetter myself so I mean no judgment.

I think it's quite natural to focus on your own team so you're always more likely to say 'we were shit' than 'they were really good'. Having said that people on this forum usually give credit to opposition teams that play well against us, against Norwich for example the general consensus was they were too good for us

I think the level of bitterness shown by Forest fans on LTLF yesterday is special to that particular group of supporters and not a reflection of the whole division. I've found most fans in the Championship to be quite grounded and gracious in defeat but Forest have shown themselves up to be a right bunch of pricks IMO. I had great fun winding them up yesterday and outsinging them at the City Ground.

They're actually starting to really hate on Dougie Freedman now. All the signs are there, it wont be long until they hound yet another manager out of their city.

Top win!

Forest played a very high tempo pressing game for the first 25/30 mins and were rightly on top, but didn't create anything.

After 30mins they seemed to run out of steam, and Price took control of the midfield. Wolves created the only chances in the first half and were unlucky not to head into the break 1 up.

Second half was all Wolves tbh, until the 94th min when Wolves decided my 2-0 Afobe bet wasn't worth winning for me!

motm for me was Sako, some amazing runs in the 2nd half!

pic of Sako's pen:

https://instagram.com/p/1BWtXSg5Nv/

Last edited:
Ikeme - 6 - Good to see him back but he looked a little rusty with the ball at his feet + a few dodgy catches from crosses. Made a strong save from a long range Manceinne shot which was Forest's only real shot on target apart from the goal which Ikeme couldn't have saved.

Iorfa - 9 - A real top quality full back performance. Did everything right. He's an incredible athlete, a very competent defender and composed on the ball as well. Antonio is Forest's only real premium quality player IMO and Iorfa completely stifled him to the point where Freedman had to switch him onto the right wing to get away from him. Paterson came on with half an hour to go and presented a completely different threat to Antonio but Iorfa dealt with him just as well.

Batth - 7.5 - I thought he was a bit lucky with their penalty shout, A really clumsy tackle through the back of Akpom. Other than that he played really well.

Stearman - 7 - Looked absolutely furious to have conceded right at the death which is just what you want to see really. Forest didn't really show much but he and Danny Batth played well together again, they've really got a fantastic partnership.

Golbourne - 8 - Yep. Classic 8/10 Scott Golbourne performance. Easily the best left back in the league.

Price - 9 - He really took control of midfield yesterday. Forest have some decent midfielders in Osborn, Lansbury and Gardner but Price shone above anyone else in the middle of the park. Made countless interceptions in front of the back four, made Lansbury look foolish on more than one occasion and didn't give the ball away once that I can remember. That might be as good as I've seen him play in a Wolves shirt.

McDonald - 8.5 - He's in top form at the moment. He's so hard to shake off the ball and so composed in possession, it's really great to watch at times. I think we struggled to create much in the first half but he really came into his own in the second. He skied one shot from the edge of the area when he really should've done better. That's the one weakness in his game IMO, if defenders charge him down when he's about to strike he has a tendency to lean back and get under the ball.

Henry - 7 - Had a good if unspectacular game. Drifted inside to help Price & McDonald with Forest's midfield 3 and looked very composed on the ball but didn't really trouble Lichaj (probably Forest's best player on the day). Was involved heavily in our few good moves in the first half, had a good start to the second half but bringing van La Parra on for him with half an hour left was the right call.

Afobe - 8 - A fantastic solo effort to break the deadlock. He looked a bit frustrated by the service in the first half but the first time the ball drops to him favourably he runs 25 yards straight at Forest's defence and slots it into the corner. Top striker. Wilson and Lascelles had their hands full with him all game and he linked up well with Sako in the second half. Had one header flash across the face of goal which was quite unlucky.

Sako - 9.5 MOTM - Sako vs Manceinne. An absolute bloodbath. Some of his tricks in the second half were breathtaking and he had the beating of his man every time he got on the ball, just a little unlucky 3 or 4 times in the second half with his final ball. Came very close to setting up Afobe and Dicko on a number of occasions and thoroughly deserved the goal when it came. Lansbury just got fed up of Sako tearing through his defence and decided to kick him up into the air. At first I thought it was outside the box but it was probably the most stonewall pen this season. Lansbury should've been sent off, I think he was on a second yellow but that shouldn't have mattered. Straight red IMO. Great to see Sako run over to the Wolves support at the end and give his shirt to a kid in the front row.

Dicko - 6.5 - Was unlucky with the shot cleared off the line and had a great run in the second half when he jinked into the box and drew a foul from a Forest defender. Really could've been a penalty but all credit to him for staying on his feet, especially after the stick he got after the Wednesday game. TBH, I think the referee should be giving those as fouls even if he doesn't go down. Other than those two incidents it was a quiet game for Dicko. A few crosses just taken off his forehead by Forest defenders or just nicked off his toe as he was about to shoot. Just one of those games. Ken was right to take him off for Edwards, Nouha was beginning to tire and we needed to put forest under a bit more pressure at the back.

Edwards - 6.5 - Didn't really have much to do on the ball but his tenacity was key to Wolves keeping control of the second half at a key time. Did a very good job.

van La Parra - 7 - Kept Forest honest as they chased the game and really pegged back Lichaj with his direct running and trickery. There was one outrageous piece of skill where he came inside and played a lovely rabona pass across the pitch to Sako. He's a real threat late on in games against tired legs/minds.

Doherty - N/A - Wasn't on for very long.

The Wolves fan who dived into the canal post match - 8 - Great belly flop.

Saw the highlights this morning, looked like Ikeme got away with a bit of a balls up from a back pass and possibly could have done better with their goal as it was hit straight down the middle.

Great goal from Afobe though, good header from him in the first half and Dicko had a great chance that maybe he should have done better with. Seems like Sako's penalty came at the perfect time to kill the game off.

On to Leeds now, let's keep winning!

So Lycan you thought Henry and VLPs performances were better than Ikeme's?

You're entitled to your opinion but I thought Ikeme grew into the game after a slow start and took complete charge of his area. He even cleared out our defenders if they were in his way, plus he stopped every shot but one that he had no chance with in the 94th minute, and he caught crosses not just flapping at them or punching randomly.

On your standard of scores for the others I would say he was worth at least 8 IMO.

P.S. I thought he didn't get a touch on Mancienne's shot but that it went out off the post.

TBH Dino I can only remember Ikeme having to make 2 saves. The first one was the drive from Mancienne, the second their goal. I might be wrong but I don't think they hit the target more than twice. Maybe 6 is a little harsh but as I said he looked a little rusty to me and didn't have a lot to do.

TBH Dino I can only remember Ikeme having to make 2 saves. The first one was the drive from Mancienne, the second their goal. I might be wrong but I don't think they hit the target more than twice. Maybe 6 is a little harsh but as I said he looked a little rusty to me and didn't have a lot to do.

I'd give Ikeme a 7, thought he did look a bit rusty - especially with the dodgy back pass clearence!

I'd give VLP a 9 for his rabona cross alone! (I'd actually give him a 7)

Have any of the highlights shown their penalty shout yet?

Benik Afobe on his part in a good day out

A well spoken young man

Back