• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

I don't hate him but I do want him to fall fast if he's as bad as I think he will be.

Plenty to pick apart in the interview from his lack of style to:

'If we need to sit in and be patient for a spell then we can do that.'

Based on the way he played last season that's how we'll play. Looking forward to it...

My favourite:

'But it’s really important I improve the group’s understanding of all understanding of a football match'

U wot mate?
Just for clarity on this it was actually transcribed wrong. What O’Neil actually said was “But it’s really important i improve the group’s understanding of all situations in a football match, it’s not a one size fits all approach”

When he says it like that it makes complete sense, some games we might have to sit in but if we can we should take control of the ball.

It really isn't
I watched the PC video above and it was utter drivel, laden with excuses, small time mentality and an acknowledgement he's going to lose his first game in charge.

He doesn't even acknowledge the work done by Lop and paints the picture of the players having no understanding of football. It's embarrassing he's our manager.

The 9 0 thing, it happens.

United lost by 7 to Liverpool, they didn't sack Ten Hag on the back of it, they qualified for the CL instead.

Southampton got gubbed twice and bounced back both time under Hassenhuttl.

It's not fun and I wouldn't recommend it, but getting totally fucking gubbed happens sometimes.
You’re missing the point. In Bournemouth’s case it was sufficient for Scott Parker to claim the squad was doomed with the season barely underway.

I watched the PC video above and it was utter drivel, laden with excuses, small time mentality and an acknowledgement he's going to lose his first game in charge.

He doesn't even acknowledge the work done by Lop and paints the picture of the players having no understanding of football. It's embarrassing he's our manager.

He did mention the 'magic wand' though :love: Lampard-lite

'His philosophy on football is possession-based, high intensity, attacking football and playing out from the back.'

Almost as if he adapted his style to the players he had, rank stupidity imo.

That quote is from Damian McCarthy, a "long-time friend of O'Neil's".

He's not gonna say he's a route 1 kick-and-rush merchant, is he?

That quote is from Damian McCarthy, a "long-time friend of O'Neil's".

He's not gonna say he's a route 1 kick-and-rush merchant, is he?

Why not if it's the truth? Playing direct football isn't always a bad thing. We were direct under McCarthy in the championship and that was some of the best stuff I'd seen at wolves until Nuno rocked up.

Why not if it's the truth? Playing direct football isn't always a bad thing. We were direct under McCarthy in the championship and that was some of the best stuff I'd seen at wolves until Nuno rocked up.
We weren't long ball under McCarthy in the championship at all. Pulis was, Mick worked the ball out to the wings quickly and had a strong running CF with a bigger man to head the ball in from crosses.

Mick only went back to front in the premier League where inexplicably he didn't trust his midfield to get the ball wide anymore.

You quoted praise for him from his mate. That's not an impartial source and I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

We weren't long ball under McCarthy in the championship at all. Pulis was, Mick worked the ball out to the wings quickly and had a strong running CF with a bigger man to head the ball in from crosses.

Mick only went back to front in the premier League where inexplicably he didn't trust his midfield to get the ball wide anymore.

So direct then.

You quoted praise for him from his mate. That's not an impartial source and I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

I just picked a part of an article, I've no idea who the bloke goes for a pint with so I had no idea they were mates.

'His philosophy on football is possession-based, high intensity, attacking football and playing out from the back.'

Almost as if he adapted his style to the players he had, rank stupidity imo.

My philosophy is to be the most hilarious, brilliant and knowledgeable poster on TWF. I guess that means I am, then?

What we should remember is that the main reason Nuno went is because the 'transition' to a more possession-based, progressive style wasn't really gaining traction.

Lage initially had a bash and we know how that ended up, Lop did ok and got us looking pretty decent in the Rennes game, so GON has to find his own way of making that work or it's pointless him being here.

After a reasonable amount of settling in time I expect to see us working towards being a possession based attacking footballing side more often than not

My philosophy is to be the most hilarious, brilliant and knowledgeable poster on TWF. I guess that means I am, then?

What we should remember is that the main reason Nuno went is because the 'transition' to a more possession-based, progressive style wasn't really gaining traction.

Lage initially had a bash, Lop did ok and got us looking pretty decent in the Rennes game, so GON has to find his own way of making that work or it's pointless him being here.

After a reasonable amount of settling in time I expect to see us working towards being a possession based attacking footballing side more often than not

Well a bit like Gaz I've not seen any evidence of it as yet.

Agree with the rest, don't think we had the players to do it under Nuno too little movement. I think we've got enough technical ability and intelligence to be able to hold our own against most playing a possession style so we need to be seeing that pretty much from the start. If we start hoofing it upto Sasa I'm gonna be pissed off myself.

Let's be honest, I don't think we've heard any unbiased takes re: the managerial shenanigans.

Back