• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

One of the few matches Bruno got against a manager worse than him.

Roy isn't worse than Lage

I don't think Dean Smith is worse than Lage

Xisco Muñoz, maybe

Modern day Rafa, definitely

Difference is Nuno had heaps of credit in the bank for that 18/19 season. O’Neil has very much had to, and still has to, win fans over.
Not sure why this point is being made though, the initial comment was the slight on GON that "he's not a tactical genius", credit or no credit that's irrelevant in this context isn't it?

He's got us playing good football, and tactically he has been getting it right else we wouldn't be seeing the points haul. You don't win games in the Premier League without being good tactically.

Not sure why this point is being made though, the initial comment was the slight on GON that "he's not a tactical genius", credit or no credit that's irrelevant in this context isn't it?

He's got us playing good football, and tactically he has been getting it right else we wouldn't be seeing the points haul. You don't win games in the Premier League without being good tactically.

I think it’s more that Nuno was allowed those off days or poor runs as we knew it would be OK eventually/he had the credit from the fans to see him through. O’Neil is a lot more under the microscope as many considered him a poor appointment.

I agree with you that he has done very well and is good tactically.

I think it’s more that Nuno was allowed those off days or poor runs as we knew it would be OK eventually/he had the credit from the fans to see him through. O’Neil is a lot more under the microscope as many considered him a poor appointment.
Yeah that's fair.

I'm surprised how close we are in terms of points to Nuno's first Prem season, as DW touches on, it felt a lot better that season than this.

It's just about sample size, for me, really. I need to see more from GO, especially mid-match management, before I'm going to start throwing around big compliments about his tactics. Marathon, not a sprint, etc etc.

In terms of his ability to get players onside and fighting for him, there's no doubt he's excellent.

"Not a genius" != "A moron"

I think any discussion about points VAR has cost us needs to slightly tempered against the points it has probably cost others.

Hate to use the old cliché, but it probably just about evens out in the end. Impossible to say.

I remember people on here calling Gary O'Neil a P.E. teacher.
And I remember who said we'd have 2 points after 10 games.
Hoping he'd fail as he wanted him out of 'his' club.
🤫
There's one poster that calls Semedo shit on pretty much every matchday thread, even though he's had a decent season at least defensively. We all have our biases

It's just about sample size, for me, really. I need to see more from GO, especially mid-match management, before I'm going to start throwing around big compliments about his tactics. Marathon, not a sprint, etc etc.

In terms of his ability to get players onside and fighting for him, there's no doubt he's excellent.

"Not a genius" != "A moron"
Did Nuno ever do much mid game in terms of the way we played? Other than bring on another midfielder I don't remember him ever changing the way we played very often.

Back