• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Aren't we still actively looking for more coaches (and related staff like analysts) to build out GON's team?

Just wondering what would happen when he does get sacked, considering the main first team setup left with Lopetegui. Presumably Steve Davis becomes caretaker again until a replacement comes in, but I'm wondering how thinly spread the coaching staff would be in that interim period considering it already feels like we're back to the L1/Champ days in terms of numbers in first-teach coaching. Maybe GON will agree to do a Lop and stay on while we find his replacement...
No, there is a clear line of demarcation between club and coach. Analysts, fitness trainers etc now are independent of the Head Coach. All O'Neil has is his 2 coaches and that's all he's getting. Cutler I guess falls somewhere between the 2

Yeah sorry I see now why Villa is being mentioned. I just don’t see them sacking him after two games where we will be expected to lose anyway. Depends on the manner of them if we do lose both I guess
If we're in the bottom 3 he'll go.

He should be gone after the Villa game whatever and an announcement made the next day if the upper management have any interest in the club anymore.

Lose 9-0 at home to City and he'll be fodder that evening.

Hobbs clearly can't pick a manager.

Come the next international break he’ll have less ppg than Dave Jones did in the 03/04 season at the same stage which is going some.

If we're in the bottom 3 he'll go.

He should be gone after the Villa game whatever and an announcement made the next day if the upper management have any interest in the club anymore.

Lose 9-0 at home to City and he'll be fodder that evening.

Hobbs clearly can't pick a manager.
Hobbs is still an over promoted lackey, he's just one we like more than Sellars. He's probably a decent Head Scout, not a pseudo DOF. If his remit from Shi re the appointment is as widely reported - British and unemployed, then I think we'd be where we are today whoever had got the job. We need root and branch reform from the top down, until that happens we'll just lurch from one crisis to another. We both know it's not going to happen though

Not sure what Hobbs et al reasonably expected would happen? With Lage there was at least an argument in favour of him having won a Portuguese title plus playing attacking football and using young players. What can we say about O'Neil, that he kept Bournemouth up? It wasn't on zero spending if the club want someone who will work to the FFP fantasy.

If they wanted someone to simply keep us up you would have thought there was a better candidate available even within the British and unemployed criteria. I agree with what others have said and think he will be gone after Villa, but Fosun have form for their mid-season sackings taking too long to get rid and taking too long to find the replacement.

So, it’s all Lops fault… O’Neil: “When I arrived, the culture of the club needed to shift, there was a lot of individual focus and not team collective”

just fuck off you clown. Take responsibility for the team getting progressively worse with every game you prick

So, it’s all Lops fault… O’Neil: “When I arrived, the culture of the club needed to shift, there was a lot of individual focus and not team collective”

just fuck off you clown. Take responsibility for the team getting progressively worse with every game you prick
Amazing that he didn’t come out with that sort of bollocks after the United game. Quite happy to take the plaudits after that performance but now everything he inherited was a shitshow.
Get him out.

He won’t take responsibility for anything, it’s no wonder so few of the players will.

O’Neil must know he’s for the bullet so has to double down on the ‘inherited mess’ narrative to protect any perceived credibility he had after Bournemouth.

His managerial career could well be over before it’s barely started.

How is it that Brighton keep finding gems on and off the field, and we keep unearthing trash?

I almost preferred the Morgan/Moxey era when we knew we were shit, but at least they weren't blowing smoke up our arse telling us we were part of a project that would have us challenging for the title in a few years. Moxey was a snake, of course, but we saw him for what he was.

Gary O'Neil's appointment had 'no ambition' written all over it. Of course he's failed.

Moxey targeted Everton as in “best of the rest”.

At the moment Fosun appear to have achieved relative parity with Everton. 😂

I don't think getting relegated is a deliberate plan or factored in, although I can see why some have gone there. He'll be sacked, it's just whether it'll be too late and who we can attract when we do
Obviously they want to avoid relegation as it would give them another year of Sky TV money but I think they now don’t see it as a disaster. They’d just syphon most of the parachute payments off and run the club on a shoestring, selling any players they can. The future is not bright as if we manage to survive this year it’s only delaying the inevitable. The only hope is appointing a manager that is good enough to make them reconsider how they run the club but given they were happy to let Lop go that’s unlikely. The longer GO remains in post the more what I have suggested becomes likely.

People will say, ‘Oh, they did fine last year’, but the truth is they got 41 points last year and we made an £80million profit on players in the summer. We’re £80m short of where we were last year."

Also short of a decent coach...

Starting to tick all the boxes of a man who knows he is on borrowed time and entering Lage territory here.
No complaints about the squad until that window slammed shut. Had that with Bruno...window closed "we need players"...window opens "happy with what I have, no pressure"...window closes "look at the shit I have to work with".

Just needs to play 3 at the back with Gomes and Jonny either side of Max and leave the other CB's on the bench to complete the Lage challenge.

Back