• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

There's more happening for sure. I really liked the move from the kick off (referenced in that thread). Obviously something the squad had worked on.

Thread on the BHA forum about Lopetegui leaving Wolves and GO replacing him. Page 1 has posts from August 8th/9th when they (Seagulls fans) were predicting a long, hard season for us, Page 2 is where someone resurrected the thread after last night and asked if people had changed their views now

As I said on the WBA verdict thread, I can't quite work out what has changed with this team - it's just generally a lot fitter, more professional, and confident. We play a back three but not at the expense of attacking flair now: I don't know if that's because the midfield is generally bit more dynamic than it was.

I do feel for O'Neil as I can't see us spending big in the summer and can see Neto, Cunha (if someone offers silly money) and Kilman moving on - which is fine if the recruitment team can line up suitable replacements. We're going to bang the FFP drum for a while now I think, especially with what is happening to Everton and Forest.

If we sold all 3 of those he would get plenty to spend.

I think you can only hang your hat on Neto going and then that should be enough to fund a few players under the current way of working

As I've said before no-one is going to offer silly money for Cunha unless he carries on this goal involvement form through to the end of the season. Not impossible but unlikely. I still don't think we're playing him in his best position either, which is behind a proper striker.

It'd take £60-70m for us to be even tempted I'd say, and I don't think he's the sort of character to do a Nunes and refuse to train or any of that shite.

Obviously I don't want that to happen! Point is we wouldn't sell £100m+ worth of talent (and Max 😏) and then have fuck all to spend.

We wouldn't be bringing in players who cost £30m+ but we would be signing

I think we all fully anticipate Neto going in the summer. However, we all anticipated Neves going for about 3 summers before it eventually happened, so you never know. In all likelihood he will go though, so lets hope we get £50m+ for him. I think personally it should be nothing less than £75m but I realise that isn't likely.

If we sold all 3 of those he would get plenty to spend.

I think you can only hang your hat on Neto going and then that should be enough to fund a few players under the current way of working
Two things;

1) Fosun aren't letting anybody spend 'plenty'.
2) GoN shouldn't have a penny to spend, it should be done by Hobbs and the recruitment team. Let GoN coach, the old school way of a manager buying players is dead now.

I think we all fully anticipate Neto going in the summer. However, we all anticipated Neves going for about 3 summers before it eventually happened, so you never know. In all likelihood he will go though, so lets hope we get £50m+ for him. I think personally it should be nothing less than £75m but I realise that isn't likely.
I don't see why not, Nunes went to City for not much less and Neto is by far the better player.

I think he'll go to Liverpool to back up/ replace Salah who'll be sold into the PIF regime.

Given how little money clubs are throwing around I'm not sure we'll sell Neto as we'll want more than most clubs are willing to spend. Similar situation to Neves.

I’m fairly confident we’d spend pretty much most of what we bring in this summer. Though as Kenny said it’ll be 15-20m players rather than one 40m+ one

I genuinely don't see why we couldn't ask for £85-90M for Neto. Look at some of the fees players are going for these days. He's one of the best players in the league in his position.

Two things;

1) Fosun aren't letting anybody spend 'plenty'.
2) GoN shouldn't have a penny to spend, it should be done by Hobbs and the recruitment team. Let GoN coach, the old school way of a manager buying players is dead now.
1) Plenty in terms of what we are spending now. A decent sale should see plenty being spent and still have money left to pop on the FFP bollocks
2) I think that it is the set up. GO will get a say to a degree but it will be a set up where players are suggested to him. We had a split on that under Lopetegui - Cunha, Sarabia 100% his players but Gomes and Dawson were not. When he sad he wanted a more experienced back up keeper I doubt he had Bentley in his book of targets. Lemina probably falls into the category where Lopetegui liked him and he was on the Hobbs list already.

I genuinely don't see why we couldn't ask for £85-90M for Neto.
Mendes is the only reason.

Lets see if we get anyone over he line this week that is linked to him and then expect a "favour" on the fee for Pedro

I don't see why not, Nunes went to City for not much less and Neto is by far the better player.

I think he'll go to Liverpool to back up/ replace Salah who'll be sold into the PIF regime.
Did he? I thought he went for just over £50m? Of course, Neto is a far better player and a far better person than Nunes, so he's unlikely to pull the 'not going to train if I don't get my way' stunt, but as fans generally we overvalued our own players.

As I said, £75m+ would be what I'd want, I suspect we wouldn't get quite that, but we are all guessing about what other teams value him at, and what we are willing to sell him for.

Back